'Accessibility Service' Permissions - what is it for?

AlfaPrime

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What's the purpose of the Android 'Accessibility Service' (Required for preloading external apps) permission for Highway Radar?

What kind of external apps are being preloaded, and for what purpose?

Tried a couple searches for related terms but couldn't find anything readily explaining this here in the forum. Also looked at the FAQ on highwayradar.com

I appreciate the permissions explanations in-app; this is the only one that isn't clear what exactly it's for. Thanks!

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Oh, when you try to activate it, you'll get the explanation in the system prompt.
Basically, the accessibility service is only used for preloading other apps, and for launching split-screen upon service start. There is no other use for it.

AlfaPrime

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Oh, when you try to activate it, you'll get the explanation in the system prompt.
Basically, the accessibility service is only used for preloading other apps, and for launching split-screen upon service start. There is no other use for it.
Ah, I see.

"Highway Radar uses accessibility service to be able to automate sending Waze reports and for launching external application in split-screen mode."

Is Waze the only external app that HR interacts with/launches in this way? I guess the references to "external applications" here and on the main page just seemed to leave an ambiguity of if it's only Waze, or other features too.

Given how powerful (and risky) the Accessibility permission is, my threshold to understand the details just feels much higher.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Ah, I see.

"Highway Radar uses accessibility service to be able to automate sending Waze reports and for launching external application in split-screen mode."

Is Waze the only external app that HR interacts with/launches in this way? I guess the references to "external applications" here and on the main page just seemed to leave an ambiguity of if it's only Waze, or other features too.
Oops, I stripped this functionality a bunch of versions ago, and forgot to update the message. Currently the accesibility service is only used for preloading other apps (any apps) and split-screen.

Several versions ago HwR was able to do automated reporting via Waze app (simulate taps on Waze buttons to send the report). Currently all reporting is performed via SABRE plugins. Preloading apps is a different feature, not related to reporting.

AlfaPrime

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What does preloading other apps mean? Why would I want to / need to do so?
And what split-screen functionality do you mean?

I just looked through the app/all the settings pages and I can't really figure out what this is referring to.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
What does preloading other apps mean? Why would I want to / need to do so?
And what split-screen functionality do you mean?

I just looked through the app/all the settings pages and I can't really figure out what this is referring to.
This is in the General settings, last item (Action on service start). It is useful if you're running HwR along with another app, say Google Maps, Waze, or any other app. You may want to start that app (say, GMaps) as well, once you start the HwR, and that feature can do it for you.

AlfaPrime

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Okay, I understand now. Thanks!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member