Hello from Cochrane, AB (and a few questions)

tucker98

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself as I've recently gotten back into running a radar detector again. I'm running a 360c as I won one off one of those Facebook "waffle" groups.

I'm not brand new to it but am trying to learn and get back into it. I used to run a 9500ix from around 2009-2012 when I lived out east. Moved to Calgary in 2012 and sold that detector in 2013 after I got pinched at high speeds on a streetbike and changed my driving habits (long story, managed to keep my license somehow). Didn't have the detector installed on that bike but it was laser anyways.

With the 9500ix I had, I would get radar detection warnings nice and advanced, which I had hoped would be the same case with this 360c. I've only been running the 360c for about 2 weeks now, so maybe I'm just gotten lucky (or unlucky?), But I have not had it go off in sight of a marked or unmarked cruiser in at least 10 instances of seeing them now. I seem to detect every piece of interference on the planet, everyone's radar cruise control / Blindspot warning, but not once have I had an early detection or even an alert from a sheriff/peace officer/CPS.

Are they using a new technology of radar that this device is weak against? I tried educating myself on "instant on" type radar via YouTube which I guess would be undetectable? Is that what they are running around here, and what might explain my lack of alerts from actual radar vehicles?

I tried using the search function and couldn't see anything specific to this, hopefully I didn't skimp on my search terms.

Thanks all! Looking forward to reading up and speaking fluent radar detector with you.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hello @tucker98 and welcome aboard RDF! We’re glad that you decided to join us.

Not having your detector alert when you see LEOs is very common. There’s no secret I/O technology happening, but it’s almost always due to the simple fact that they didn’t have a radar unit or were not transmitting at the time. The could have also been using laser which typically isn’t picked up by radar detectors. Be patient, you will eventually get a real alert. 😎

Take some time and look around and most importantly, don’t hesitate to contribute or ask questions. 👍

jcp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Welcome from Surrey, BC :)

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome, I lived In Calgary for 2 years in 2018.

The 360C is a good detector. I drove with one and was pleasantly surprised by the low number of BSM (Blind Spot Monitoring) and other Falses.

Have you ensured the detector is on the newest firmware? I'm not familiar with the 360c and it's FW, but they often get updates.

I'll be the first to say IO is a big threat in northern Alberta, alongside laser, which is something else you will learn to be weary of as you learn more.

That being said, I'll pass the torch to @System as he knows more about regional enforcement.

System

PSL ÷ 2
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The LEO's probably just weren't running radar if you're still getting falses. We have 34.7, 33.8, 35.5, K-band, DragonEye, Laser Ally and Stalker XLR/RLR all within a 25 km radius. In Alberta you've gotta pay to play. May the odds be in your favor.

Edit: also, Redflex photo radar is used within city limits. Good luck detecting that.

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and back to detectors @tucker98. Probably the biggest changes we deal with since you used detectors last are the BSM systems in newer vehicles which cause a lot of k band falsing. This newer detectors do a better job of filtering those falses. I/O's been used for a long time, maybe just a little more in some locations. Laser is also used a lot more and as your Canadian counterparts have mentioned, you have a lot more cameras up North than we do in the US at the moment. They definitely have lots of tools to take your $$ and unfortunately, it seems to only be increasing. Again, welcome.

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome to RDF Tucker. Calgary and surrounding area do have all the KA bands which traditionally are the easiest detection for most detectors these days due to increased range. If you are seeing officers moving and you don't pick up a signal, very likely they didn't have their radar on. Your detector also will alert to all the red light camera if you keep it up to date with software.

The next big threat is laser traps which are common and often stationary traps. You will be hit with laser guns and often the detector stays silent or if it does go off, it is just a ticket detector. Only jammers can protect you from those threats.

Another radar threat is K band like Redflex but you will notice them as they are parked on the side of the road with hazards on in unmarked vehicles. Due to our rear license plates, you will be hit with the radar usually after you pass them and if you are speeding above their threshold, you will get a photo ticket in the mail. If you pay attention, you can usually avoid speeding past these threats.

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Mythic01

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ah, Welcome fellow Albertan!
RedLine 360c will serve you quite well in Cochrane.
To my knowledge, the patrols out of Cochrane don't use any kind of LIDAR, so you'll be pretty safe without jammers unless you venture further afield into Calgary or other municipal districts.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome.

As others have said..... there is really no such thing as C/O ( constant on) radar in Alberta. The only time you might see it, is if they have a customer on the side of the road.... and they leave it on to make those aware, that have detectors, that they’re there.

It’s 99.7% I/O ( instant on) tactics in Alberta. . When the gun is in hold.... it’s not broadcasting... so there’s nothing for the detector to detect.

Doesn’t matter which agency it is. Alberta Sheriff’s. RCMP, CPS, EPS.

Just be aware. The Alberta Sheriff’s seem to have a lot of Raptors. They’ll show up as k 24.125. Also, the Alberta government is pretty anal about certification. You won’t find any wildly out of tune guns. They be exactly where they should be. 24.125, 24.150, 34.7, 35.5. 33.8.

Urboidante

No officer, that's my GPS
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
Welcome! Sorry to hear about how strict it is in alberta, these comments make me so happy to be just unlucky enough to live in NJ where we have some extra k-band cops in the smaller townships but nothing scary like MRCD or the tricky I/O, only our staties run I/O from my experience and even they're mostly running C/O in my area.

System

PSL ÷ 2
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ah, Welcome fellow Albertan!
RedLine 360c will serve you quite well in Cochrane.
To my knowledge, the patrols out of Cochrane don't use any kind of LIDAR, so you'll be pretty safe without jammers unless you venture further afield into Calgary or other municipal districts.

Cops ALWAYS sit at the top of Glen Eagles shooting laser. In the winter they like hide behind the snow banks on 1A (where the plows U-turn), similar to a hunters blind. I've only encountered PL4 in and around Cochrane, but laser is 100% in use

Mythic01

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Cops ALWAYS sit at the top of Glen Eagles shooting laser. In the winter they like hide behind the snow banks on 1A (where the plows U-turn), similar to a hunters blind. I've only encountered PL4 in and around Cochrane, but laser is 100% in use
oh really? dang, I've never seen it personally. I've seen lots of cops around Gleneagles but it's always been a Stalker DSR

tucker98

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Wow thanks all for the warm welcome and wealth of information! It is a 360c Max that I am running, I did the updates as soon as I first plugged it in (took 45 minutes though which I thought was funny considering its wifi). Since I've made this post I've come across 2 that were actively running radar so I feel better now lol. First one was a laser setup pointing at the opposite direction of traffic but I assume they must have had the radar in the car left on. That was convenient. Second one was approaching Black Diamond, I was northbound, the early warning was absolutely insane. At least 3km of warning and probably 5+ minutes from first alert until we got to him. Started alerting as we crested the hill however many km out, he was parked on the shoulder in town. I couldn't believe it. As for what is a waffle group - these are groups on Facebook where the group owner will post an item that is being "given away". Basically a raffle, they'll sell x number of tickets at y value. Money maker for group owner and some lucky person gets a free item. They try to avoid the legality issues re: gambling by calling it a waffle instead of a raffle. The particular group I got this one in just got shutdown today actually. But my $30 ticket got me this detector so I'm happy! And you guys are definitely right, the false alerts with all of the radar equipment in modern day vehicles is extremely common vs. 10 years ago... Thanks all!

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garlandbob