Waze Sound

LI2624

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I asked this question in Passive Countermeasures but got no responses. Thought it might be a good idea to repost here and really go to the source, JohnBoy.

"I recently bought a Note 10+ with Android 10, which replaced my Note 8. Have both JBV1 and Waze on it. To my surprise, I noticed that JBV1 alerts are coming out of my car speakers. That never happened on my old phone and very happy about it - and this happens on both cars (2011 and 2015)! But Waze alerts are still coming out of the phone speaker. Is there a setting in Waze so that alerts go through the cars speakers like JBV1?

Or is JBV1 just more advanced with up to date coding?"

So JB, is your code so much ahead of Waze's that you can provide sound through car speakers and Waze cannot?

Reactions: RGU

NVR2FST

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
JBV1 has had the option to hear alerts through your car's speakers via Bluetooth for ages.
Waze, IDK. I'd look in the "Settings" menu for that.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
There's an option in Waze to play sound to your phone speaker(s). If you turn that off, it should play to your car radio when your phone is connected to it.

LI2624

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There's an option in Waze to play sound to your phone speaker(s). If you turn that off, it should play to your car radio when your phone is connected to it.

Yeah, tried that and it did not work. Actually, the option is "Play through phone speaker". If checked, Waze directions would go through phone speaker, if unchecked, it is supposed to go through car speakers. I tried both checked and unchecked, and sound only comes out of phone speaker. Curious that yours would work and Waze does not.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, tried that and it did not work. Actually, the option is "Play through phone speaker". If checked, Waze directions would go through phone speaker, if unchecked, it is supposed to go through car speakers. I tried both checked and unchecked, and sound only comes out of phone speaker. Curious that yours would work and Waze does not.
Maybe you need to update Waze. In the current version the option is called, "Play sound to phone speaker." Also make sure your phone is connected to your car radio for both music/media and calls.

LI2624

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
JohnBoy - here is a screenshot of my Waze Screen. I am on latest version 4.71.0.2 dated 2/15/21. Chap RD on the Passive Countermeasure thread mentioned Device Default, Phone Speaker or Bluetooth Phone Call On as options on their Waze Voice and Sound settings.. I do not have those options, only Play Sound Through Phone Speaker. When I uncheck Play Sound Through Phone Speaker, there is no submenu. Any ideas? Weird.

Screenshot_20210307-091637_Waze.jpg

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Uncheck the play sound to phone speaker option. Make sure your phone is connected for calls and music, and that the volume is turned up.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AvoidanceInGA