Yes, Vancouver, the No Fun Allowed City, Starts Reduced Speed Limits Program

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ticket revenue about to soar, probably just doubled the size of traffic enforcement members too!

Post automatically merged:

And school zone to be all day, everyday, weekends included!
WTF!?
Speeds of municipal streets are set by provincial legislation and councils can't just go and make their own rules.
We've been through this before!

Last edited:

Mythic01

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I suppose the more you reduce the speed limits, the more you make in citations. Is photo radar coming soon?

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I suppose the more you reduce the speed limits, the more you make in citations. Is photo radar coming soon?
Already there in fixed RLC and Speed Cameras.
Just wait, the mobile units to come pushing the Zero program.

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Reduced city speed limits are catching on all across the country the last year or so. Citizens are calling for it so councils are passing the laws, yet rarely is there any evidence that there is a need from a reduced collision aspect.

Those that have done it have not seen a reduction in accidents in the reviews I've read. Straight "feel good" legislation that in practice doesn't accomplish to intended purpose IMHO. Evidence based decisions are talking a back seat to emotional decisions.

When I'm king, things are going to change for the better! :laugh:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Reduced city speed limits are catching on all across the country the last year or so. Citizens are calling for it so councils are passing the laws, yet rarely is there any evidence that there is a need from a reduced collision aspect.

Those that have done it have not seen a reduction in accidents in the reviews I've read. Straight "feel good" legislation that in practice doesn't accomplish to intended purpose IMHO. Evidence based decisions are talking a back seat to emotional decisions.

When I'm king, things are going to change for the better! :laugh:
All hail king Maz!

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
200.gif

@Maz3

Baldy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Let's just be honest with each other, since the NDP won't be with us.

When mandatory 7 day impounds came in, they scooped up well over 1700 impounds in 3 weeks! Either most of those were pretending to be an F1 driver or MotoGP rider on the roads, or the limits are set artificially (and arbitrarily) too low... I'll go with the latter option.

Now, let's all be delusional for a second and pretend that is true, then why would that be? Could it possibly be that advancements in vehicle engineering, tires, suspension, etc. have advanced in the past 50 years or so? Have the roads possibly been improved since the limits were set back when 3 in the tree and bias ply tires were a thing? But we are told that "physics doesn't change" and that is the statement "they" are sticking to.

Ok, I'll go with that.

So newer tires are capable of a higher coefficient of friction, that equate to more grip, shorter braking distances, etc. ABS brought us steering control when braking above the threshold of tire grip. Improved suspension including swaybars, etc. also allows us to corner at increased speeds safely. The list goes on. So those pizza cutter hockey pucks (145/80 R13 for reference) on your '86 Toyota Tercel hatchback aren't really standard issue anymore, so IMO the speed limits shouldn't cater to the worst drivers (as driver education hasn't changed here) driving one of these. This isn't reality.

So now, let's lower the speed limits further and tell everyone "speed is a contributing factor" to most accidents. Oh the irony.

Back to the "mandatory 7 day impound". These are considered an "administrative monetary penalty" (AMP) under their system. Their system also doesn't have a provision to dispute the AMP (impound has to be 30 days or more, if I recall, to be eligible for dispute). So, effectively you are assumed to be guilty. Now let's assume you get pulled over by someone who wants to rack up their points with the boss. They lie about your speed and impound you. No recourse without getting lawyers involved and thousands of dollars (not to mention a lot of time) out of pocket... BUT, you can go hop in another vehicle and carry on with impunity.

Well, this scenario is playing out for me right now (it's been over a year since the impound date). Bonus for me is I have it all on front and rear dashcams, with GPS embedded, proving among other things, that I wasn't going the alleged speed I was supposedly paced at for a few hundred meters (also a lie with video to prove it). I'll share the video once this fiasco is over.

It's all about the money, the system is broken, and corruption exists.

Last edited:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
CTV News Vancouver: Warning to drivers in Burnaby: One of the speed limit rules is being expanded.

Vancouver is already 24/7 school zone enforcement.
Now, everyone wants in on the farce.

nighthawk

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
CTV News Vancouver: Warning to drivers in Burnaby: One of the speed limit rules is being expanded.

Vancouver is already 24/7 school zone enforcement.
Now, everyone wants in on the farce.
Edmonton has been loving the 7am - 9:30pm enforcement times as well. Hard to understand when much of the year is below freezing for the playgrounds/parks.

I think a lot of the fines will be used as "tax" revenue in the future or at least become a large supplement to it so taxes don't necessarily go up, but it costs more to live. Maybe the aim is to make people buy into speed passes? $150/month to exceed the low speed limits by 10 km/hr in specific areas!

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Edmonton has been loving the 7am - 9:30pm enforcement times as well. Hard to understand when much of the year is below freezing for the playgrounds/parks.

I think a lot of the fines will be used as "tax" revenue in the future or at least become a large supplement to it so taxes don't necessarily go up, but it costs more to live. Maybe the aim is to make people buy into speed passes? $150/month to exceed the low speed limits by 10 km/hr in specific areas!
A pass will never happen because that's admitting it's not about safety.
And it discrimination against those who can't pay.
What you will see, is 30 kph on every residential street, and maximum enforcement, maximum revenue, all in the name of save the peoples.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tonyz3