NYSP trying Vertical Lightbars

Dave G

Born to lead, At breakneck speed
Intermediate User
Reaction score
NYSP Vertical Lightbars:police3:

New York State Police added vertical lightbars to their existing horizontal lightbars with hopes of helping them be more visible when roadside. And to help with the move over law.

Has anyone seen these in action in or around New York State?

Stay Safe, Stay Ticket Free ๐Ÿ˜ท๐Ÿ‘

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I mean it will help those smaller vehicles with a limited view over taller vehicles... At the same time I find the regular lights are already blinding at night so adding more of them will just basically blind all traffic approaching which poses a hazard as it is...

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

New York State Police added vertical lightbars to their existing horizontal lightbars with hopes of helping them be more visible when roadside. And to help with the move over law.

I never understood that lol. Do you have picture of it?

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Yes - they have been testing them out near the academy for quite some time on at least one car - first I saw was close to 2 years ago, but the design changed slightly in the one I have seen the last few months. Seen one near Rochester also recently.
Post automatically merged:

I never understood that lol. Do you have picture of it?
Its in his video link - click the yellow light bar words.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Makes you wonder how they can justify stealth/unmarked car purchases going forward if visibility is an issue.

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Makes you wonder how they can justify stealth/unmarked car purchases going forward if visibility is an issue.
Being seen only matters to them when they've pulled someone over and are at risk. Otherwise, they want to hide as effectively as possible, all for your $afety of course.

Dave G

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't test many of them. The story is a few years old and I never found anything related to it when I searched. I found it interesting and just thought I would post it to share. I thought it was rather stupid looking but if it would make things safer that's what matters.

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I hope this isn't off topic, but I remember in the older days when KHP had the big bubble light on top of their car, a person could see that some distance ahead. So back to these lights, they will still up further making them easier to see, but with these new radar guns now days, they can get cars at around 1/2 to 3/4 mile away, not sure a person could see those lights before they get radared.

Dave G

Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm also thinking this was some sales pitch from a sales rep. trying to make some sales.

( sales rep.)
THIS IS THE LATEST AND GREATEST LIGHT SETUP ON THE MARKET HELPING WITH THE MOVE OVER LAW

grayman

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I mean it will help those smaller vehicles with a limited view over taller vehicles... At the same time I find the regular lights are already blinding at night so adding more of them will just basically blind all traffic approaching which poses a hazard as it is...
Couldn't agree more, in my locale they are blue LED and absolutely blinding at night. Its a complete hazard, there is such a thing as too bright, freakin idiots.

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's bizarre. Reminds me a number of folding-wing aircraft when the light bars go up or down.

grayman

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That picture is hilarious

Rocket Jockey

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score

Those Are Like the "High Rise Lights" From the NYC Highway Patrol Cars From the Late 1980's! Early 1990's!

These Were Invented by A Local New Yorker After A Collision Involving Several Police Cars At An Accident Scene
In Brooklyn NYC! You Guessed It! A Truck Collided Into the Police Cars that Had Stopped For An Accident!
Driver Couldn't See the Top Light On the Police Car!

Here's the Rest of the Story;
https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/high-rise-multi-level-lights.74355/

Attachments

• NYC Highway Patrol Mid-1990s Crown Vic-PVM High Rise Light Bars With V-Force Lights.jpg
    NYC Highway Patrol Mid-1990s Crown Vic-PVM High Rise Light Bars With V-Force Lights.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 19
  • NYC Highway Patrol 2010-Crown Vic-PVM High Rise Light Bars Older Amber Flash Bar.jpg
    NYC Highway Patrol 2010-Crown Vic-PVM High Rise Light Bars Older Amber Flash Bar.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 16
  • NYC Highway Patrol Crown Vic-PVM High Rise Light Bars Older Amber Flash Bar With Can Lights.jpg
    NYC Highway Patrol Crown Vic-PVM High Rise Light Bars Older Amber Flash Bar With Can Lights.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 17
  • NYC Highway Patrol 2010-Dodge-PVM High Rise Light Bars Rear Strobe Red & Blue LEDs & Message B...jpg
    NYC Highway Patrol 2010-Dodge-PVM High Rise Light Bars Rear Strobe Red & Blue LEDs & Message B...jpg
    277 KB · Views: 18
  • NYC Highway Patrol 1990s PVM With Gumball Lights & High Rise Light Bars.jpg
    NYC Highway Patrol 1990s PVM With Gumball Lights & High Rise Light Bars.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 16
  • NYC Highway Patrol 2005-Dodge-PVM High Rise Light Bars With LED Message Board.jpg
    NYC Highway Patrol 2005-Dodge-PVM High Rise Light Bars With LED Message Board.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Being seen only matters to them when they've pulled someone over and are at risk. Otherwise, they want to hide as effectively as possible, all for your $afety of course.
Agreed! Seeing a cruiser parked on the emergency lane clocking cars with rear radar on a busy highway is safe, I guess. Sitting on the side of the road at night with their lights off is also safe.
Seems the state had some leftover money from their budget. Instead of helping the homeless, let's get some high tech lights for the troopers. Makes lots of sense. :ughh:

thanks

for all the fish
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
the police on the LIE had these bars and BIG ARROW on their roofs YEARS AGO.... we used to call them harpoons, figuring if you didn't pull over, they'd harpoon you with it...

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonman371