Has R7 V1.35 Made You Significantly Less Likely to Purchase Theia?

Has 1.35 Made You Less Likely to Purchase Theia

• Yes

Votes: 65 29.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 26 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 108 48.6%

• Total voters

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
^^ I guess we should call it user-perceived sensitivity or real life sensitivity? It's hard enough getting people to stop thinking in terms of range without having to explain the difference between the lab measured sensitivity and the sensitivity that we see in detections.

This is kind of like when machinists talk to each other and say they have to take off 5 tenths or 50 thousandths. The engineer who heard 5/10 is horrified but that's because he doesn't realize Machinists are always talking in terms of thousandths so 5/10 doesn't mean 5/10 of an inch but 5 ten thousandths of an inch.

Trade jargon.

🤷‍♂️

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
It is going to take a long, long time of sustained media creation and discussion to get people to understand how radar detectors actually work. A lot of this problem is caused by the piss-poor filtering they all have right now - if all you wanted to do was determine of energy was present in a channel (any radar signal), range would be more closely coupled to things like substrate quality, microstrip matching, gain provided by lnas, tuning speed, tuning strategy, how long you sample for, what your channel bandwidth is, etc. Hardware and architecture level stuff.

But nowadays, since radar detectors can't tell the difference very well between BSM signals and a even a simple CW police gun, "range" that the user perceives is a somewhat arbitrary metric that is defined by attempts at mitigating false alerts. Delays, filters running on slow hardware, sensitivity reductions in software, etc.

This has led to kind of a mess where it's hard to compare the raw analog performance of one detector to another for an enthusiast at home without access to a full RF lab since there is no way to have an apples to apples comparison. Even turning everything to highway mode and disabling the filters does not provide that.

There is a lot of performance detectors are leaving on the table being built the way they currently are. If you gave me the analog front end of a V1G2, R7, or R360C and I built the digital back end on it, I guarantee you the user would get more "range" out of them.

Last edited:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
^^ I guess we should call it user-perceived sensitivity or real life sensitivity? It's hard enough getting people to stop thinking in terms of range without having to explain the difference between the lab measured sensitivity and the sensitivity that we see in detections.

This is kind of like when machinists talk to each other and say they have to take off 5 tenths or 50 thousandths. The engineer who heard 5/10 is horrified but that's because he doesn't realize Machinists are always talking in terms of thousandths so 5/10 doesn't mean 5/10 of an inch but 5 ten thousandths of an inch.

Trade jargon.

🤷‍♂️
As a machinist I resemble this comment.
You should try working with a carpenter when you tell him to take another .025" off the end of a 2x4 that doesn't fit like a glove.
They get pissed off and beat it in with a hammer to my horror.

As for Jon's comments about range, I went that way because of all the sensitivity, range, reactivity, reaction time, and all the other terms that mean different things from a technical point
From a consumer point, my expectations/hope is Theia will deliver significantly better reception range (I e. sooner and farther away) and have better reaction time (regardless of any other factors, a near instant alert to I/O police signals).
An example last night that showed me that range and reactivity & reaction times both need to be stellar.

RL360c I pick up a LEO 34.721 at an underpass 90 degree off axis. Weak signal even driving right over him. I drove around and around, from all directions logging my alert points.
Pulled out the R7, put it in lower right corner of windshield, RL360 was upper left.
R7 picked up early 1-2 beep blips off axis that were non-alerts on the RL360.
By a considerable distance.
I was about to do a head on run for max warning distance but LEO left.
On straight on C/O runs, RL360 has been alert a few beeps before R7.
This last encounter has me doubting the RL360 as being my CM in a few days driving northern BC through Pine Pass, where range and reactivity are crucial for early warning with so few cars and rabbits on the road.

Now Theia, could solve this issue for me and give me early and faster warnings to faint blips of radar, that is missed or filtered out by many these days.
It would indeed be a game changer for me.

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This has led to kind of a mess where it's hard to compare the raw analog performance of one detector to another for an enthusiast at home without access to a full RF lab since there is no way to have an apples to apples comparison. Even turning everything to highway mode and disabling the filters does not provide that.
Yep that's absolutely true, but at the same time, the only thing that actually matters to the user is the useful sensitivity that they can take advantage of.

A good example is the R7, especially before the latest firmware version. It's one of the most, if not the most sensitive detector on K band. Unfortunately, to keep from being driven bonkers, most users had to dial back the sensitivity to under 50% (where it's still better than most other detectors I might add). Regardless of whether the manufacturer is doing this in the filtering routines or the user is forced to do it it's still a reduction in lab sensitivity to a point of usable or user perceived sensitivity.

It's like the EPA rated MPG or like putting ZR tires on a stock 1970's VW bug. It's really cool that the tires can go 168 mph without exploding but in actuality the car can only go 90mph.

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
As a machinist I resemble this comment.
You should try working with a carpenter when you tell him to take another .025" off the end of a 2x4 that doesn't fit like a glove.
They get pissed off and beat it in with a hammer to my horror.

Been there, done that, LOL. I was a machinist for many years before I got into engineering. I too have a hard time dealing with woodworkers. When I level the table on my 3D printer I use a test indicator instead of a sheet of paper.... LOL

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Yep that's absolutely true, but at the same time, the only thing that actually matters to the user is the useful sensitivity that they can take advantage of.

A good example is the R7, especially before the latest firmware version. It's one of the most, if not the most sensitive detector on K band. Unfortunately, to keep from being driven bonkers, most users had to dial back the sensitivity to under 50% (where it's still better than most other detectors I might add). Regardless of whether the manufacturer is doing this in the filtering routines or the user is forced to do it it's still a reduction in lab sensitivity to a point of usable or user perceived sensitivity.

It's like the EPA rated MPG or like putting ZR tires on a stock 1970's VW bug. It's really cool that the tires can go 168 mph without exploding but in actuality the car can only go 90mph.
Yes, and now it should be clear why a detector that perfectly discriminates signals can have multiples of range vs. those that cannot. They can be run "wide open" (even moreso than "highway mode").

Last edited:

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, and now it should be clear why a detector that perfectly discriminates signals can have multiples of range vs. those that cannot. They can be run "wide open" (even moreso than "highway mode").
So you know what my question will be. Does such a product exist?

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
So you know what my question will be. Does such a product exist?

Why bother asking a question you know the answer to?

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Why bother asking a question you know the answer to?
Because I figured you may miss having people trying to figure out if you have the product ready yet. 😆

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Because I figured you may miss having people trying to figure out if you have the product ready yet. 😆

Hi Rags, as long as you are subscribed to our Radenso Theia pre-order email list, you’ll be the first to know of any updates including when Theia pre-orders will begin, thank you!

Radenso Theia pre-order email list signup: https://radenso.com/products/radenso-theia

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
You misspelled Toby.

wellfleetion

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
"Theia" must be having some serious issues or it would have been released by now.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
"Theia" must be having some serious issues or it would have been released by now.

Yes, like the previous 4 months of multiple posts per day explain, parts availability due to a worldwide shortage of electronics components, affecting many many giant to small corporations everywhere.
A serious problem for GM, Ford, Apple and on and on....
But don't worry everyone, Radenso will out spend all the others and strongarm suppliers so you can get your vital RD ASAP and save humanity from the horror of continuing to drive with the CM they have today.

wellfleetion

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes, like the previous 4 months of multiple posts per day explain, parts availability due to a worldwide shortage of electronics components, affecting many many giant to small corporations everywhere.
A serious problem for GM, Ford, Apple and on and on....
But don't worry everyone, Radenso will out spend all the others and strongarm suppliers so you can get your vital RD ASAP and save humanity from the horror of continuing to drive with the CM they have today.
I got my M1 MacBook Air a couple of months ago without any delays. The only true delays I've been hearing about are around ebikes or just bikes in general.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I got my M1 MacBook Air a couple of months ago without any delays. The only true delays I've been hearing about are around ebikes or just bikes in general.
To be fair, I bought a Vitus Nucleus from Wiggle (super popular mountain bike) for my daughter a few weeks ago. It shipped from the UK via DHL and arrived at my doorstop in under a week. You do have to act fast since demand for bikes is big but starting to die down a bit. My MBA M1 I bought a month ago was delivered exceptionally fast. I mention this to say that not all products have been impacted by the covid part shortage. In fact, I actually haven’t been impacted at all and I generally buy loads of stuff but I do hear some specialized electronics are harder to come by.

Last edited:

zappy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I ordered some electronic components from China last March (2020) and got it 2.5 months later (mid May). The parts were not available anywhere in the U.S. China was the only option - which is a shame but that's another story.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well thats GREAT TO KNOW ...
RADENSO AND APPLE have the same purchasing power !! 😳😳🤨🤨😂😂😜😜

Benzr

anselansel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
No but the sluggish arrows have made me wish Theia was out

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics