Best detector for motorcycles in NZ

eem29

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey guys! New poster here, I’ve read through a bunch of pages but feel a little bit overwhelmed at all the options.

So far I have narrowed it down to the R3, R7 or DFR9NZ, but am definitely open to suggestions!

Budget: ideally less than $1500, but I don't mind paying more, top dollar for a top product etc
I like to go fast. Maximum detection range is important.
vehicles: Motorcycles (very fast naked and extremely fast superbike) and car (not as fast). Must be able to mount on a bike but I am pretty handy so that shouldn't be an issue.
Mainly open roads and twistys in Central Otago/ Mackenzie /lower South Island, hardly ever in the cities.
Often commute 1hr on the open road through a mountain pass with big straights either side - one cop somewhere there most of the time.
Mainly care about getting pulled up and losing licence for excess speed, don't care as much about fines in the mail.

also laser jammers are illegal here so obviously couldn’t put one of those on the bike but if I were to mount some kind of parking sensors like the ALP would that help me to... park... in NZ?

many thanks!

Emma

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Although not NZ, this might be a good start for you:

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ve known people to have all the three detectors you suggested. Another option is the V1 gen 2 which you may want to consider. I guess with a bike the extra challenge is water proofing and how to get the alert to your ear. See the motorcycle section for those ideas. Parking sensors, probably need one or two on the front depending on how large it is, and one on the rear perhaps. @Aucklandradar can help you there.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've used V1's on my bikes since 2002, I want the extra durability and reliability of the VR design among other things.
Bikes are a tough environment for electronics.

tronster

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Currently running an R7 with @mittheru firmware and database. Previously had an R1 which was just as good for ka detection but no good for cameras and fixed location warnings. Velcro and a velcro strap to a stem mount is easy enough and easy to swap between vehicles. Small glad bag and a rubber band over it keeps the rain out just fine with zero impact on performance. I run the signal to my sena s20 evo headset via a 40 dollar bluetooth transmitter I got on trade me. Also run a USB power cable to the transmitter to avoid needing to recharge it. If Bluetooth is a hassle, there's always wired earbuds. Run it out your sleeve or out bottom of jacket to a short extender cable which can be taped to the tank or tucked into a crevice to avoid it flapping around. If you want the GPS and k band detection, go with an R7 or a V1 Gen 2. V1 relies on a phone app for GPS, I think so that's another consideration.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have the phone under the screen and the V1 out of line of sight on the bars. For the first time this gives me a clear visual display without having the detector sitting high and visible to any passing plod.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I use the R7 and it stands up well.
The great thing about it is if you want to see the display, turn it to WHITE color and BRIGHT level, and you can see it out in open sunshine.
Ant detector with a glossy screen becomes useless when sunshine hits it regardless of its brightness or size, so the flat black display of the R7 is great.
IMO R3 display is too small despite its brightness.
Size matters when needing info at a glance.
Also the size and placement of the buttons I find glove/motorcycle (left hand) friendly.

eem29

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Currently running an R7 with @mittheru firmware and database. Previously had an R1 which was just as good for ka detection but no good for cameras and fixed location warnings. Velcro and a velcro strap to a stem mount is easy enough and easy to swap between vehicles. Small glad bag and a rubber band over it keeps the rain out just fine with zero impact on performance. I run the signal to my sena s20 evo headset via a 40 dollar bluetooth transmitter I got on trade me. Also run a USB power cable to the transmitter to avoid needing to recharge it. If Bluetooth is a hassle, there's always wired earbuds. Run it out your sleeve or out bottom of jacket to a short extender cable which can be taped to the tank or tucked into a crevice to avoid it flapping around. If you want the GPS and k band detection, go with an R7 or a V1 Gen 2. V1 relies on a phone app for GPS, I think so that's another consideration.
Thanks! I am leaning towards the r7. What are the benefits of the updated firmware? To get it do I just send him a message directly and send the detector to him?

Cheers!

tronster

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks! I am leaning towards the r7. What are the benefits of the updated firmware? To get it do I just send him a message directly and send the detector to him?

Cheers!
His database is superior to that supplied by uniden nz. His firmware improves the functionality with regards to k band scanning only in the range you want to set. I had an issue with my computer and couldn't seem to update the detector so took a Road trip to Welly and met up with him. Most people just get his software as a download and update their detector the same way you'd update one from any other store or off amazon. He can supply the detector itself with his firmware and database already loaded which is probably the most convenient way. Just message him for options. He's very helpful, but also a busy guy.

eem29

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
His database is superior to that supplied by uniden nz. His firmware improves the functionality with regards to k band scanning only in the range you want to set. I had an issue with my computer and couldn't seem to update the detector so took a Road trip to Welly and met up with him. Most people just get his software as a download and update their detector the same way you'd update one from any other store or off amazon. He can supply the detector itself with his firmware and database already loaded which is probably the most convenient way. Just message him for options. He's very helpful, but also a busy guy.
Cheers! Got one sorted through him now, what a legend.
Now just have to figure out how to get alerts into my helmet....

1098SF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Im in the same position as you, although im wanting to spend less.

I have just ordered a R3 from Amazon as i feel like the long range Ka detection is more important than anything else on a bike.

I will order a small bluetooth transmitter to send the alerts to my helmet and have to make some sort of stone guard for it as i have a naked bike too.

Where abouts are you and what do you ride?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49