Valentine 1 Gen 2 cosmetic defect?

butterman

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So if you bought a new car and it had a dent in it, since it’s cosmetic and doesn’t cause performance issues, it’s OK... right?

Just checking... I want to make sure I got that right.

I don't think that's an equivalent comparison because the dimples wouldn't affect the resale value. Personally, if a dent didn't affect resale value of my car then I wouldn't care. You should see my BRZ, I ran it at a snow cross session and I added a few more paint chips to the collection.

I understand that this is subjective so OP may feel differently but OP was asking 1) if it's normal and 2) if he should get it exchanged.
I can't answer his first question because I haven't seen any other G2s close enough to notice and I think the the second question is subjective, so I gave my opinion on it.

I saw some talk of demanding a brand new detector, so I responded to that as well. I think a repair on a brand new unit which then passes QC related to that part again results in a still brand new unit, not a refurb unit. I wouldn't make the car dealer replace the car just because it had a dent, if they removed it then I think most people would be fine with that.

Last edited:

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
OP here. I have decided to send it in for repair since they provide prepaid overnight shipping label. If the repair is not up to my satisfaction, then I will return it for refund.

I made decision mainly due to the fact that the repair would cost me nothing while return/re-order would cost me $45 (shipping cost x 3).

You made the right call. Take the easy/free/quicker solution that gives them the opportunity to make it right at no cost to you.

And there's zero stigma as far as future value in having a V1 that's been in for service. It's not like a car with a rebuilt title. Valentine has gone out of their way over the years to foster a culture of repair/upgrade rather than discard/replace. So it is viewed as normal for units to go back to the "mothership" for upgrades or fixes.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi LouG, thanks for your comment.

"Band on the Run" was a veiled story about exiting from the "Beatles machine" created by Tavistock and doing what I really wanted to do with Linda and Denny Lane starting a new journey together with Wings. You can hear it in the song as the acoustic guitar starts playing. The lyric, "I hope you're having fun" was from an actual conversation we had at the time.

For more PiD facts subscribe to my news letter at 60090. Take care!
Thanks Paul, can you also tell me why you've turned into an old woman as you've aged?

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks Paul, can you also tell me why you've turned into an old woman as you've aged?

:eek:

8AB783A6-FE5C-421B-A42F-931332B49882.jpeg

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful.

SwankPeRFection

✅ Whatever chupakabra.
Banned User
Corgi Lovers
General User
Reaction score
I don't think that's an equivalent comparison because the dimples wouldn't affect the resale value. Personally, if a dent didn't affect resale value of my car then I wouldn't care. You should see my BRZ, I ran it at a snow cross session and I added a few more paint chips to the collection.

I understand that this is subjective so OP may feel differently but OP was asking 1) if it's normal and 2) if he should get it exchanged.
I can't answer his first question because I haven't seen any other G2s close enough to notice and I think the the second question is subjective, so I gave my opinion on it.

I saw some talk of demanding a brand new detector, so I responded to that as well. I think a repair on a brand new unit which then passes QC related to that part again results in a still brand new unit, not a refurb unit. I wouldn't make the car dealer replace the car just because it had a dent, if they removed it then I think most people would be fine with that.
The point in this. If I or anyone paid for a NEW item, it better be perfect. Now if the company wants to do a partial refund/kickback for a defect in return for the customer just keeping it, then that’s up to the customer to decide, but I don’t see VR EVER offering something like that.

I recently bought a brand new heat exchanger for my car and the idiots that packaged it placed the mounting bracket and hardware in front of it with very little protection and of course some of the fins bend in one area. Because of where it was, it’s going to get dinged up again there and so I asked for either a kickback credit back for some of the money due to their negligence or they’d be paying shipping both ways overnight to get me a new one. They provided the kickback and I was OK because I honestly didn’t want to wait longer for another one that might or might not get fugged again and I just needed to install it and move on. For that, it worked, but only because I knew where the damage was, more rocks from the road will eventually pepper it. The OP’s RD won’t have any future damage in that area and it’ll be a constant eyesore each time he looks at it.

89q2hiu54warefs

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm psychic. 🤫

In all seriousness, RDF member @K9AN650 has met me, a handful of RDF members that are on other forums know who I am, what I look like, etc. AND I have passed the security checks here at RDF which means that they know a fair amount of info about me. Any admin user can tell you that I'm actually Paul McCartney and that the original died in 1969 in a car crash.
It cracks me up how close-knit this hobby is, all the companies in the scene, as well as youtubers, all hang around and actively post on the forum.

It's a stark contrast to the shitshow that is Comma.Ai, where they insist on using discord, and freak out that people don't follow their bizarre rules. They should take a page out of this forum's book, and use an actual forum.

Sorry, just venting at how much of a clown their CEO is, even though I love my Comma 2.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
OP here. I have decided to send it in for repair since they provide prepaid overnight shipping label. If the repair is not up to my satisfaction, then I will return it for refund.

I made decision mainly due to the fact that the repair would cost me nothing while return/re-order would cost me $45 (shipping cost x 3).
I think they'll take good care of you. They did me.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Glad to see that VR took such good care of you and that you're happy with the outcome. :cool:
KUDOs where KUDOS is due.

Waaaaaay yo Go MIKE VALENTINE. !! 😎😎😎

You ROCKED IT AGAIN !!!!

:slick: :slick:

Greeeeeeat Customer Service !!! 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Such a change fron yester year. 😬😬

Really impressed 😺😺😺😺😺

B

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads