Radar Detector Recommendation for frostyfrost

frostyfrost

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
2021 Ram 1500

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield

What's your budget?
$800

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
Maryland. I drive mostly in Maryland, where there are A LOT of speed detection cameras both on highways and regular roads. They send those fun little speed trap tickets to you via mail. I also drive on highways to West Virginia frequently. From time to time I drive to DC and Virginia. A few times a year, I go on longer highway road trips to various states south or north of Maryland.

How do you drive?
Mostly calm, but like to let my V8 roar from time to time. Would like to be alerted of speed trap cameras.

What is your daily drive like?
Mostly short trips around town where there are stop light cameras and speed trap cameras all over, but on weekends take highway trips to WV and also drive on rural roads in WV.

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?
New to this

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?
Moderate hills and curves

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
Yes

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
Yes

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
Yes

What kind of device do you own or would use for your detector?
Android, iOS

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
Yes

If you have any preconceived notions or thoughts about RDs, please tell us how long you've been using RDs or other units? etc. -- or any other relevant info you think might be important, let us know that as well.
I recently purchased a V1 G2, but am noticing it may not be a good choice for me due to the amount of MRCD/MRCT cameras in Maryland. I would like a radar detector that isn’t too chatty, has good BSM filtering, and that has auto lockouts and can reduce alerts when traveling below speed limit. If there’s any way of reducing alerts when going 5mph or less over the speed limit, even better. Not strictly required, but would prefer a way to mute alerts either via a phone or a remote mute button. I have in-car WiFi, so wouldn’t mind something that is connected to a database of alerts and camera locations. I like connectivity and the idea of having real-time or frequently updated data points, but with the ability to mute alerts when I’m not driving over the given limit of the road I am on.

My daily phone is an iPhone 12, but am open to running a second phone (iPhone or Android) if needed to get the features and usability I am seeking.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Since it’s in your budget and you face MRCT/MRCD I’d recommend the Redline 360c. It should serve your needs well. My second option would be the Uniden R7. It’s much cheaper and has excellent range, but the Redline has better MRCD range based on testing from other members. Plus the Redline is much more stealth if you ever travel through VA.

Last edited:

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you need proven MRCD/MRCT protection while remaining RDD stealth in VA, you're best options are going to be the Redline 360c or the Radenso Pro M.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonman371