Hello, I'm from China

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes my friend please contribute your experiences with your New RDF FAMILY !!

Im especially interested in your R7. Are you doing the update for Auto Mute Falses ?? V1.35

I sm sure many many here are also interested in your R1 experiences as well 😺😺🤓🤓

Benzr

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@takheng , Welcome to the Forum!! The Uniden R1 and R7 are both excellent radar detectors. What is the traffic enforcement you encounter primarily, and what methods are used for speed limit monitoring in China?

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
welcome to the forum

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hello everybody in RDForum, I am a new RD user in China.
I currently own a Uniden R1 for half a year, and just purchased a R7 some weeks ago. I hope to share my experience with this two RD to everybody in this forum.
Last time I was in China, it was impossible to speed there, on the highway I saw those bars to get you speeding tickets, and it was like every minute or so. We were driving from Chongqing to Chengdu, pretty sure I got 10 ticket in 1 day.

takheng

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@takheng , Welcome to the Forum!! The Uniden R1 and R7 are both excellent radar detectors. What is the traffic enforcement you encounter primarily, and what methods are used for speed limit monitoring in China?
Thank you.
I live in Guangdong Province, a state located near Hong Kong S.A.R. and Macau. In our state, they have several ways to monitor speed limit.

The first way is radar. We encounter K band in most situation, including stationary speed cam, speed sign and LEO, but some city also use Ka band speed cam. For K band speed cam, about 1/3 radar might emit FMCW modulated signal, which is hard for my R7 to pick them up, but my R1 with firmware 1.50 pick up normally. Weird!
Second way to measure speed is by induction coil. Several coil will be buried under the ground. It can determine the time when the car pass by, and then calculate the speed. In big city such as Guangzhou and Shenzhen, 90% of speed cam use this way to measure speed.
The third way is to measure average speed. The camera that can recognize car plate number are installed at the start and the end of a road segment, and then the average speed can be calculated. This method are widely used in highway or expressway.
It is said that some speed camera can even use image processing technology to "read" the vehicle speed from a realtime video directly. I don't know what camera can do that and whether it's deploy on the road. It still remain a mystery.

takheng

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Most of the highway in our state (Guangdong) are limited at 120 km/h (about 75 mph), it is fast enough for me. So I seldom overspeed at highway. However, there are also some speed trap in some place. For example, speed limited at 120 km/h suddenly dropped to 100 km/h and then 80 km/h, and then a LEO is hiding beside...
Fortunately, almost all the map app in China have built-in speed-cam and redlight-cam POI database, and also the POI of someplace that LEO might frequently appear. When the speed limit change or encounter those camera, the map will notify ahead, which is really useful for driver. But Waze is unavailable here.

jcaptchaos2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome, Excellent choice in the R7

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Most of the highway in our state (Guangdong) are limited at 120 km/h (about 75 mph), it is fast enough for me. So I seldom overspeed at highway. However, there are also some speed trap in some place. For example, speed limited at 120 km/h suddenly dropped to 100 km/h and then 80 km/h, and then a LEO is hiding beside...
Have you ever seen a LEO in China use a speed gun (either RADAR or LIDAR)? Because I haven't. It's always those cameras that you have to be careful of.
Fortunately, almost all the map app in China have built-in speed-cam and redlight-cam POI database, and also the POI of someplace that LEO might frequently appear. When the speed limit change or encounter those camera, the map will notify ahead, which is really useful for driver.
Which app do you use?
But Waze is unavailable here.
That's not true, I've used Waze in China before. It's not unavailable, but it's rather useless because no one makes reports.

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
@takheng, hello and welcome to the Forum. Very interesting speed control measures you are up against in China. Good that you are not a Super-Speeder there. Great to have you join us!

Blasirl

Bring Order to Chaos
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
America's Dairyland - Smell our Dairy Air!
Hello everybody in RDForum, I am a new RD user in China.
I currently own a Uniden R1 for half a year, and just purchased a R7 some weeks ago. I hope to share my experience with this two RD to everybody in this forum.
Welcome Aboard!:parrot:

jcp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Welcome from BC :) Make yourself at home ;)

takheng

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a LEO in China use a speed gun (either RADAR or LIDAR)? Because I haven't. It's always those cameras that you have to be careful of.
No, I've never seen a LEO use a speed gun. They always use radar camera that can record car plate number and capture photo instead, and then upload the ticket via 4G LTE. It is said that some LEO also use LIDAR, but I've never encounter.
Which app do you use?
In our country, the majority of people use map services provided by Amap, Baidu and Tencent. I prefer Amap. But those map app are very chatty compared to Google Maps, because there are a lot of cameras on the road (including CCTV, speed cam, and other cam that can automatically recognize illegal act while driving), so the map app will alert those camera every few hundred meters.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
No, I've never seen a LEO use a speed gun. They always use radar camera that can record car plate number and capture photo instead, and then upload the ticket via 4G LTE. It is said that some LEO also use LIDAR, but I've never encounter.
The crazy thing about China is that getting convicted of speeding at > 150% of PSL results in 12 points, which means your license gets immediately suspended and you have to retake the exam (at least, that's what I remember from when I was taking my exam), since 12 or more points in 1 year gets your license suspended. Some of the other stuff on the list, like hit and run resulting in someone else getting killed, makes sense, but 12 points for speed alone is ridiculous. That's about as bad as Virginia, where going over 80 mph carries not only a fine by also jail time.

China is also one of very few countries that doesn't recognize my international driving permit, and so I was required to take the local exam and get a local driver's license.
In our country, the majority of people use map services provided by Amap, Baidu and Tencent. I prefer Amap. But those map app are very chatty compared to Google Maps, because there are a lot of cameras on the road (including CCTV, speed cam, and other cam that can automatically recognize illegal act while driving), so the map app will alert those camera every few hundred meters.
This one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autonavi.minimap&hl=en&gl=US
Google Maps is still more convenient for me to use, but their data seems stale. There are roads that have existed for at least 3-5 years now that still aren't on Google Maps.

takheng

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The crazy thing about China is that getting convicted of speeding at > 150% of PSL results in 12 points, which means your license gets immediately suspended and you have to retake the exam (at least, that's what I remember from when I was taking my exam), since 12 or more points in 1 year gets your license suspended.
I believe this punishment is for safety consideration. However, there are some situations seems unreasonable. I've ever drove on some newly built road, its surface is in good condition and has 4 lanes each side, very wide, and very smooth traffic. Normally, in this condition, we can drive safely at 80km/h, but that road has a 40 km/h or 50 km/h speed limit, really unreasonable.
Google Maps is still more convenient for me to use, but their data seems stale. There are roads that have existed for at least 3-5 years now that still aren't on Google Maps.
Yes, foreign map services like Google Maps cannot provide accurate data here for some well-known reason, we have to use maps service provided by domestic company. Those domestic map apps' user experience is not as good as Google Maps, and they seems not have an English version? I would prefer Google Maps experience if it can provides accurate data in China someday.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I believe this punishment is for safety consideration. However, there are some situations seems unreasonable. I've ever drove on some newly built road, its surface is in good condition and has 4 lanes each side, very wide, and very smooth traffic. Normally, in this condition, we can drive safely at 80km/h, but that road has a 40 km/h or 50 km/h speed limit, really unreasonable.
I drove from 开封 to 郑州 on 郑开大道 and that road was highly annoying. Posted speed limit was around 80 km/h for most of the way and I wanted to do at least 100-110 km/h, especially on the parts outside of the city. This road feels a lot like an expressway with mostly limited access outside the cities and the speed limit is definitely lower than it should be. It's hard to speed though with those damn cameras about every 1 km or so.
Yes, foreign map services like Google Maps cannot provide accurate data here for some well-known reason, we have to use maps service provided by domestic company. Those domestic map apps' user experience is not as good as Google Maps, and they seems not have an English version? I would prefer Google Maps experience if it can provides accurate data in China someday.
I haven't seen a single Chinese map app that provides an English version. I can read basic Chinese but typing it on my phone is difficult. I was born in the US but my wife was born in China and she still prefers to use Google Maps because the user experience is much better. The Baidu Maps experience reminds me of Google Maps around 2008-2010. It just feels like it's about a decade behind the times.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonman371