Video Update Uniden R7 Firmware Complete Step by Step Tutorial

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Post automatically merged:

Reinstalled the drivers. Computer said they were installed correctly. I open the download software, plug the r7 in and it just says searching but does not connect to the R7. I must be doing something wrong.
Could be something with your computer USB connection.
Does your computer make a sound when you plug in the detector?

@Freedom1955
I've tried connecting the cable to detector both before and after the update ap is open.
No difference.
Computer makes a beep when I plug in and disconnect the detector.

What you must do is have the autoconnect box checked at top of update tool window.
Picture to come.

Last edited:

Freedom1955

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Could be something with your computer USB connection.
Does your computer make a sound when you plug in the detector?

@Freedom1955
I've tried connecting the cable to detector both before and after the update ap is open.
No difference.
Computer makes a beep when I plug in and disconnect the detector.

What you must do is have the autoconnect box checked at top of update tool window.
Picture to come.

Yup I checked it. I'm pretty sure I have done everything correctly but for some unknown reason the software updater will not connect to my R7. I've tried at least 10 usb cables also

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yup I checked it. I'm pretty sure I have done everything correctly but for some unknown reason the software updater will not connect to my R7. I've tried at least 10 usb cables also
Might be time to visit a friend with a different computer, try it that way, and possibly return the detector as defective if unable to connect?

Important: does your computer make a connection sound when plugging R7 into the USB cable, and when unplugging?
No need to have the app for that
It will confirm your physical connection, that your computer and R7 ports are active, at least for power.

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've tried multiple cables. I will have to try and find out if the drivers are installed correctly.
Good luck with it... When I doubt, I go to monoprice for good cables. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9761

Reinstalled the drivers. Computer said they were installed correctly. I open the download software, plug the r7 in and it just says searching but does not connect to the R7. I must be doing something wrong.
Google for some help with checking actual driver type and version using Windows Device Manager. You are installing CP210x drivers.

Also, another computer is a solid idea too. Sometimes Windows is just friggin flaky.

You have my sympathy. I hate this crap on Windows

rowdyz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi, try resetting the computer after installing the drivers. It would not connect n all of a sudden it worked for me after a reset n trying different cables.

Freedom1955

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Might be time to visit a friend with a different computer, try it that way, and possibly return the detector as defective if unable to connect?

Important: does your computer make a connection sound when plugging R7 into the USB cable, and when unplugging?
No need to have the app for that
It will confirm your physical connection, that your computer and R7 ports are active, at least for power.
I've tried 2 computers. Yes the computer makes a connection sound plugging and unplugging.

Gabby

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Try a different USB port on your computer. If you are using a port that is known good (Mouse as an example) move the mouse to a different port and then try the port that your mouse was on.
Also you could try POWERING DOWN YOUR COMPUTER. Not just a reset but an actual power down. Occasionally after new drivers are installed the computer must be powered cycled to work properly.

TheLevelOne

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I had the same connection issue even after installing and restarting the PC serveral times. I resolved it by physically removing the other USB cable (external keyboard) I had plugged in. Then I plugged in the R7 into the port that was previously occupied by the keyboard. All good after that.

Regards ----------

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Open device manager to know if your R7 driver is recognized. If not, it should show a USB device (I forgot what it name was. Something about a USB device) with a warning symbol on it. If that's the case install the PC driver. That's what happened to mine. My windows 10 didn't show anything wrong when I plugged my R7. I hear the sound but no error message.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Open device manager to know if your R7 driver is recognized. If not, it should show a USB device (I forgot what it name was. Something about a USB device) with a warning symbol on it. If that's the case install the PC driver. That's what happened to mine. My windows 10 didn't show anything wrong when I plugged my R7. I hear the sound but no error message.
Thanks for the help, I'm out of ideas to suggest.
Everyone pooling their experiences may find the issue @Freedom1955 has been having.
Frustrating....

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I'm out of ideas to suggest.
Everyone pooling their experiences may find the issue @Freedom1955 has been having.
Frustrating....
Thanks. It's my pleasure. Always glad to give back in any way I could as well.

RedThread

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Freedom1955
just to confirm.
the R7 is connected to power...
but is powered off.
then the USB cable is connected,
and auto connect is selected on SW Tool v 1.28.
?

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Freedom1955
just to confirm.
the R7 is connected to power...
but is powered off.
then the USB cable is connected,
and auto connect is selected on SW Tool v 1.28.
?
Never hook up power to the detector, simply plug in the USB cable from computer.
Just like the video in first post.

JD64

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I had the same connection issue even after installing and restarting the PC serveral times. I resolved it by physically removing the other USB cable (external keyboard) I had plugged in. Then I plugged in the R7 into the port that was previously occupied by the keyboard. All good after that.

Regards ----------
i had the same connection issue also, had sound when plugging in the R7 to the pc and no connection . after restarting the pc and trying a number of other things , i ended up switching to the USB port i was using for my wireless mouse and it worked. must have fooled with it for a hour or so before it worked. frustrating. i would think there should be a easier way for such a simple upgrade.

Rey

LastOfTheMoRicans
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Freedom1955

I had a similar experience back when updating the R3 when it launched (seems forever ago)
It was a one off issue maybe yours is too.
Go to the location of the updater by right clicking on the shortcut going to properties. Click on shortcut tab and then click open file location this will open the exe location, once the location window opens right click on the executable for the updater.
Go to properties and see if you have a block message at the bottom of the window, if so check unblock and try again. Do the same on the .bin files too (those are the FW files.)

Worth a shot.

This is an example of the block message.
Screenshot_20210315-213634_Gallery.jpg

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Good job, you need to have a slogan that you say everytime like @Vortex Does. Something with EH in it :)

TestFire

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi There RDF,
My attempt at serving our community.
Video tutorials on the complete update process for a Uniden R7, using new firmware 135.
Key points in the video for new to Uniden users:
-Always EXTRACT the zip files you download first, and save to your preferred location. Save all your firmware versions going forward in case you want to try an older one sometime.
-Always use a proven high quality DATA USB cable, not just a power cord. It it won't connect with other devices to exchange photos or music etc, then it won't work for updating a detector.
-If you get a fail error when uploading the firmware, follow instructions and try first to unplug the detector, and reconnect, and start again. Try that a few times before exiting the updater and starting over.
-Reports come in that it may be a mistake if you choose not to do a factory reset. I know it's a hassle to change all your settings back to where you had them, but it's worth it for best enjoyment of a properly settled new firmware. Not neccessary for only a camera database update.

I hope this helps some of you out.
Regards,

So the thing I had a problem with was being a new owner of an R7, i didn't have the "Uniden R Series SW Download Tool" and didn't know where to find it. Had to go to the Uniden website get to where the new firmware was and scroll all the way down to R7(Last Update 03/19/2020 v1.29) to download the "Tool". After that it was follow instructions and make sure the firmware was extracted. Your tutor helped me a lot! Thanks for making one.

AMGTQ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So the thing I had a problem with was being a new owner of an R7, i didn't have the "Uniden R Series SW Download Tool" and didn't know where to find it. Had to go to the Uniden website get to where the new firmware was and scroll all the way down to R7(Last Update 03/19/2020 v1.29) to download the "Tool". After that it was follow instructions and make sure the firmware was extracted. Your tutor helped me a lot! Thanks for making one.
Thanks
Hi There RDF,
My attempt at serving our community.
Video tutorials on the complete update process for a Uniden R7, using new firmware 135.
Key points in the video for new to Uniden users:
-Always EXTRACT the zip files you download first, and save to your preferred location. Save all your firmware versions going forward in case you want to try an older one sometime.
-Always use a proven high quality DATA USB cable, not just a power cord. It it won't connect with other devices to exchange photos or music etc, then it won't work for updating a detector.
-If you get a fail error when uploading the firmware, follow instructions and try first to unplug the detector, and reconnect, and start again. Try that a few times before exiting the updater and starting over.
-Reports come in that it may be a mistake if you choose not to do a factory reset. I know it's a hassle to change all your settings back to where you had them, but it's worth it for best enjoyment of a properly settled new firmware. Not neccessary for only a camera database update.

I hope this helps some of you out.
Regards,

Thank you. I found it very helpful as a new Uniden user.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AvoidanceInGA