2021 is radar still a thing for GA? buying guide advice...

TheDew

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting the typical Uniden R7 or the V1G2 and then came to the forum and saw that GA is pretty much Dragon'ed out / lasered out... Is this an accurate assumption? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I'm currently in the Suwanee/Duluth/400 area) not sure what areas are using what nowadays...

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Norcross, Georgia is DE HQ. So your assumption is correct.

TheDew

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Greg, do you happen to know if LEO can enforce visual speeds if say you have a ALP device and they cant ping you?

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Technically they are required to visualize first and then confirm with equipment.

They can go based on just visual but would be defeated in the court room most likely, especially with a lawyer.

Z06fan

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I used to commute to Atlanta every week and still drive I-95 through GA often. My experience is that around Atlanta (because the amount of traffic volume), I'd see more laser but on I-95, I see also see more radar used. It will probably depend on what area that you live & drive.

TheDew

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I used to commute to Atlanta every week and still drive I-95 through GA often. My experience is that around Atlanta (because the amount of traffic volume), I'd see more laser but on I-95, I see also see more radar used. It will probably depend on what area that you live & drive.
100% agree, I saw some posts that in Duluth and Norcross in general area where I drive around 80% of the time its a Dragons nest so... more of ALP in the future for me I guess but its also good to have the radar so you're on both fronts ok.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
100% agree, I saw some posts that in Duluth and Norcross in general area where I drive around 80% of the time its a Dragons nest so... more of ALP in the future for me I guess but its also good to have the radar so you're on both fronts ok.
Get out the credit card ;)

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting the typical Uniden R7 or the V1G2 and then came to the forum and saw that GA is pretty much Dragon'ed out / lasered out... Is this an accurate assumption? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I'm currently in the Suwanee/Duluth/400 area) not sure what areas are using what nowadays...
I do occasional drive across GA, here is the thing, Waze will save you more than RD for DE, but I do see LEOs use I/O while driving on the other side of the highway (typically Waze won't show that), IMO if you don't have a Jammer, get a RD and run Waze. My wife's car doesn't have Jammers and we have been using my R3 and Waze and saved many times driving down to FL.

TheDew

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I use Waze and Google Maps in conjunction when driving long distances and its worked out pretty good. I also don't speed that much but driving / getting a ticket for doing 10+ gives me anxiety lol and I'd love to put the anxiety at rest.

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I use Waze and Google Maps in conjunction when driving long distances and its worked out pretty good. I also don't speed that much but driving / getting a ticket for doing 10+ gives me anxiety lol and I'd love to put the anxiety at rest.
LEOs can pull you over with 1 over haha. It happened to me especially towards end of the month. That's why I run CMs and dashcams.

TheDew

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
LEOs can pull you over with 1 over haha. It happened to me especially towards end of the month. That's why I run CMs and dashcams.
What are CMs? my terminology is a bit new

auskip07

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
on the interstate i see my fair share of KA band from Ga to AL .... havent seen a legit K band encounter from leo in a very long time. I dont have a laser jammer and dont rely on my V1G2 to tell me about laser alerts

TheDew

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
on the interstate i see my fair share of KA band from Ga to AL .... havent seen a legit K band encounter from leo in a very long time. I dont have a laser jammer and dont rely on my V1G2 to tell me about laser alerts
when you did make a run to GA or to AL about how many triggers of the laser did you see on the V1G2?

auskip07

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
when you did make a run to GA or to AL about how many triggers of the laser did you see on the V1G2?

i actually have it turned off for the past year.. in the beginning it was a pain because when i saw a late model mazda or volvo i would get alerts.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

gapi

Slippery Rabbit
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do not ditch radar here. I see lots of Ka off interstate and some on interstate. I tried the R7, Big Ass brick no better at it than the R3. Hated that thing.

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's what's great about running JBV1. It shows both sides and more!
Post automatically merged:

What agency was this?
Cleveland Heights Ohio, known speed trap on Conventry Rd. I got pulled over going speed limit and he told me he clock me going 26 at 25 and went to court shown judge dash cam footage with GPS speed 25 and Waze speed 25 and speedometer speed 24. Dismissed.

Everyone who lives/lived in Cleveland know about the trap right by Case Western Reserve University, they made a lot of money doing that. Sometimes 10+ LEOs just waiting there towards end of the month.

If you are a highway driver, get an R1 save your cash. Best performance for the price. If money is no object, get the V1Gen2 with JBV1 or R7.

Last edited:

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That's what's great about running JBV1. It shows both sides and more!

What agency was this?
I agree with @GregTec5 about using JBV1. It pulls in the CSAs and alerts you to LEO presence at greater distances. And then there’s the heat maps. 👍

auskip07

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
For those in the Know... has TMG caught up to dragon eye or is ALP still the only jammer that works on that gun?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downhiller2010