V1G2 going in for service

Icantdrive55

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
V1G2 I purchased in July 2020 acting very strange the last couple days. Continuous multi bogeys KA alerya. Even sitting in my garage. Went bonkers. Sent in today for service. Glad I kept my V1G1! Actually I miss the knob the most!

Attachments

• B553E2BF-8C9C-4355-AD68-368C3180361F.jpeg
    B553E2BF-8C9C-4355-AD68-368C3180361F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

LibbyD

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your hassles and having to be without it for a while. Even with the Gen 1 back-up its not the same.

I recently had to send out one of my ham radios (IC-7300) to be fixed under warranty (only 6 weeks old!) because the display was messed up. Even with my Kenwood TS-480 on the desk as a back-up, I didn't like one of my 'buddies' being off the ranch. Got it back in exactly a week and all is good.

Yeah I wish all our problems were as relatively small as that, but hey, to me these things are "essential" gear and prep items. At least that's what I tell my wife. Lol

Good luck with your V1. Keep us posted when you get it and if all is good with it.

Winstonsaxonsdad

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What do I miss about Valentine One??? Customer service. Saying their customer service is Bad, would be giving them too much credit. I purchased the Valentine One when it first became available. I have done all the upgrades over the years since and own 4 of Gen 1 but I am a fan no more. In the past their customer service was great on the few occasions I needed them. Now, forget about it. I sent in email requesting information--nothing. I call and put on hold for eternity---then disconnected. I have been trying to upgrade to Gen2 for over a year. They say they are "working as fast as they can" and are handling orders in they order they are received. But you can't even place an order for an upgrade so I can't even get in line...then I thought I would just buy one retail since their story about not having parts for the upgrade doesn't hold water. They are not rebuilding your old one, they are sending out new ones and destroying the old ones so they aren't resold. But now you can't even buy a new one until the end of March... it is too bad cause I think Mike Valentine had a great product but when customers come last in a business model, it is time to move to another company that puts their customers first.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sounds like a series of missed the opportunities combined with the same parts shortages that other companies are experiencing.

There are roughly 160-170 members here (out of roughly 250-300 active members) that own a Gen2 and a majority of us had no issues purchasing them. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

auskip07

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
when ive had an issue they were prompt in responding and getting a repaired/ new unit out to me. Not sure how they could have handled it better.

BIGGER Dave

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Had several Gen 1’s over the years, dating back decades. Sent them in occasionally for the upgrade, sold some, bought again, etc. Never had a negative experience. When I became aware of the Gen 2, I placed an order over the phone back in March 2020, received it March 8. It’s now a year later and it’s been working great ever since. Some of us (including me) have had nothing but great experiences with Valentine!

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong but the G2 hasn't quite been out a year yet. I got mine in mid-March 2020 and a few other members had theirs a week or so before me. Did any RDF members receive their G2 in February of 2020? Further, upgrades weren't even offered in the very beginning IIRC.

VR is known for slow email replies which is why I always just call them. I'm seldom been on hold for long and one time years ago I found myself talking to Mike Valentine. No company is perfect but I've certainly received stellar service from VR. I wouldn't think twice about buying from them again or recommending them to friends and family.

MichaelC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
See this is what I'm talking about. A wait and see approach. If I'm in the USA, live in a RD legal jurisdiction, and the only benefit is stealth (at the expense of range), I'm keeping my V1G1.

The knob is missing , the arrows are smaller, and there is no VOICE ALERT. Just the same shitty pin lights you can barely see.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Agree:
  • The knob has been replaced and will likely never come back
  • Stealthiness is really good now (I don't even bother to turn off my Gen2 in VA)
  • There are no device voice alerts (but apps can announce in a multitude of ways and with much more information)

Things I think you are incorrect about:
  • The arrows aren't smaller
  • Pin lights? If you are saying what I think you are saying, the band indicators and signal bar are all easier to see now and the band indicators are not simply lights but actual letters. X, K, Ka, etc.
  • Expense of range? The range of the Gen2 has increased and is comparable/edges out other current detectors in many of the tests here. There might be specific tests that you can find to show your concern?

Things you haven't considered it seems:
  • Noise from BSMs and other sources are substantially reduced! (If you are running a Gen1, you have no idea how much different a Gen2 is)
  • Firmware is now updateable at home from your cell phone.
  • Orders of magnitude faster in processing (<0.04 seconds for both horns over the entire spectrum)
  • Built-in bluetooth
  • Maybe some other stuff that may/may not concern you.

You are welcome to have your opinion, and it's useful to hear various opinions so that discussions like this can weed out what is and isn't true. :)

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I really miss the Gen1's knob too but I agree with everything @Bloovey One said.
And myself: I think the buttons are OK and the Gen2 is great but I mean I really, really like the old knob on my Gen1 detector!

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
See this is what I'm talking about. A wait and see approach. If I'm in the USA, live in a RD legal jurisdiction, and the only benefit is stealth (at the expense of range), I'm keeping my V1G1.

The knob is missing , the arrows are smaller, and there is no VOICE ALERT. Just the same shitty pin lights you can barely see.
The G2 is a huge improvement in so many ways. K band reactivity still needs some work but G2 is so much quieter to BSm. Your complaint in regards to the missing knob resonates with many V1 enthusiasts. One of my chief complaints about this was that the volume couldn't be adjusted without making noise. That might have been operator error. I think if you press mute and the volume buttons you can do it silently if the volume number is sufficient and you don't need the audible feedback to make your adjustment. But it certainly isn't as fast as a knob and you must look at the unit whereas the original didn't require looking away from the road.

The visibility day or night is superior to anything I've seen using OLED displays. It's also immune to burn-in and just generally more reliable.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I never messed with my V1G1's knob after setting it up. I simply turned Ka guard off along with X band, set my volume to wide open of course, and set my muted volume to about half way and that was it! Of course it was a 3.872 version so no JBV1. My V1G2 is the same. I set the main volume to wide open, muted to about half, turned off X band and that's it! I haven't touched that button since. If I wasn't a tester and didn't need to change settings to see how it reacts I don't think I'd ever have to touch any of the buttons again, except to confirm firmware updates maybe. It's also hardwired so it starts and stops with the key so I never use the button for that either. The button, at least in my case, is not an issue at all! Since 99% of what I face is 34.7 and 35.5 the V1G2 is in a different world than my V1G1! It simply crushes it! The off axis the V1G2 picks up on Ka band is simply incredible and has to be seen to be believed!

Last edited:

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I never messed with my V1G1's knob after setting it up. I simply turned Ka guard off along with X band, set my volume to wide open of course, and set my muted volume to about half way and that was it! Of course it was a 3.872 version so no JBV1. My V1G2 is the same. I set the main volume to wide open, muted to about half, turned off X band and that's it! I haven't touched that button since. If I wasn't a tester and didn't need to change settings to see how it reacts I don't think I'd ever have to touch any of the buttons again, except to confirm firmware updates maybe. It's also hardwired so it starts and stops with the key so I never use the button for that either. The button, at least in my case, is not an issue at all! Since 99% of what I face is 34.7 and 35.5 the V1G2 is in a different world than my V1G1! It simply crushes it! The off axis the V1G2 picks up on Ka band is simply incredible and has to be seen to be believed!
So it's only the wife's buttons that require pushing?

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It seems there are two kinds of people when it comes to volume knobs.

Those who miss it because they used them frequently;

And those who may or may not miss them, but never touched them for years at a time.

I fall into the latter category. Once set, I never touched the volume unless I needed to adjust for a different car's ambient noise level. I used to memorize the knob positions such as main = 2 or 3 o'clock and mute lever = 10 o'clock.

When installing to the right of the mirror in a 2015 to 2018 Charger, the knob got in the way a little bit and I had to be careful not to get too close to the overhead light assembly.

I'm this way about all the volume adjustments on all my detectors the last 35 years. Set it and forget it. :)

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I never had a version with a knob, I started with the G2 so I cannot say I miss anything about the old model. I can say though, I set the main volume to full and muted to zero and never touch it other than the occasional mute. I use JBV1 to mute as well but sometimes its faster to just reach up and click the physical button.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garlandbob