Fry’s has closed its doors

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Saw this, and it makes me sad. I’d heard rumors they’d been struggling for a while already.

1614178973684.png

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sad, but it was only a matter of time. Microcenter will have a good opportunity to expand their stores/locations.

Here's a vid on Fry's a known pc channel made

NoahWL

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Sad to hear. Like RadioShack, I never went often, but it was great to have nearby when I needed a niche part and didn't want to wait for shipping. Plus I'd rather give my money to local businesses (even chains like Fry's) over Amazon when I can.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Fry's Electronics has been functionally dead for over 2 years. I went in either 2018 or early to mid 2019, and found a lot of space on the shelves. Then I went again in November 2019 and found this (this was their flagship store in Sunnyvale by the way):

IMG_20191102_151753.jpg

I went to an electronics store to buy a power strip because I didn't want to wait for shipping. I left empty-handed because they literally did not have a power strip to sell me. It wasn't that they didn't have the brand I wanted or the features I wanted, they literally did not have a single power strip on the shelves.

The thing about Fry's is that they could not be forced out of business by non payment of rent, because they own most of the buildings and land their stores sit on. The rumor for years has been that personal bankruptcy of one of the owners dragged down the company's credit line: https://www.thelayoff.com/t/12sdXU1r It's a private company, so the owners are allowed to mix personal and business finances and don't have to tell anyone what they're doing. But when you see shelves like in the photo above, it's obvious that the company is dead. Can't believe they paid a skeleton crew to staff the stores and keep the doors open for well over a year. The parking lots were empty and nobody was shopping there, and anyone who did shop there (didn't know about the empty shelves) probably decided to never go back, just like I did.

cavecreek93

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's too bad. I liked Fry's. We had one close to work. I used to take non-tech saavy co-workers there to show them the parts that they would need if they decided to build their own PC's.

Have to say that I haven't thrown much business their way over the last few years.

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Very sad, I bought all my pelican cases from Fry's and it was perfect because I could physically look at the box instead of guessing on the internet. Not to mention antennas, radios, inverters, flash lights, knives and those little mini mice with a retractible cable you can use on an airplane.

Certainly the end of an era.

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Will they maintain an on-line presence?

acrspeed

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
It's quite sad to see. They seemed to be doing quite well even 6-7 years ago. Stores were full, and they still had pretty much everything you could want. I went to one this past summer, and it was just depressing. Empty shelves everywhere, very few customers, and completely understaffed.

I have many fond memories of going to Fry's as a kid, especially the alien invasion themed Burbank store. They'll be missed.

SVG

PSL +5
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The Fry's father made his money in grocery stores. The kids started the electronic chain
My brother worked there many years back.

Imo, Fry's had some of the worst customer service around. While it was a convenient place to shop (when I lived in the Bay Area) I won't lament its demise.

dcova

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Whenever I traveled to the west coast, I would often visit Fry’s. In October of 2020 I traveled to Spring Mountain Motorsport resort in NV. I flew into Vegas and stopped by Fry’s to pickup a micro SD card. The store was void of customers and the shelves with few and low quality products. I could hardly believe it. It was some years ago the previous time I stepped into a Fry’s store and they were very busy at that time. So it did come as a surprise to see a Fry’s void of customers this time around. Reading today’s news about the permanent closer is no surprise to me now.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Cash is king...gift cards are limiting.
I'm not sure why anyone ever buys gift cards. All you're doing is locking the money into being used at a single retailer when you could have written someone a check or given him or her cash or sent cash through Square or Venmo, etc.

And of course, if the company goes out of business, you're left holding the bag.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Bad headline: https://abc13.com/frys-electronics-closing-shutting-down-stores-because-of-covid19/10366720/

Anyone who's been following what's been happening at Fry's knows that their closure has nothing to do with the pandemic. They were dead long before the pandemic even started, and the only reason they were able to stay open is that they own most of the buildings and land their stores occupy (one exception was their Palo Alto store, which they did not own and which closed in 2019). The owners seemed pretty delusional thinking that they'd be able to switch over to a consignment model where vendors don't get paid until Fry's sells the item, and unsurprisingly, there were few to zero vendors who took them up on it. Given the history of that company and what its co-founders have been rumored to be doing with the money, I wouldn't ship any product to them unless I got the money upfront either. But since they owned the buildings and the land, nobody could tell the owners no or boot them out of their buildings.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Retro advertisement:

Advertisement for the predecessor of Fry's Electronics, the grocery chain (founded by the father of the co-founders of the electronics chain). I'm not old enough to remember this:

Wish I had a copy of the radio ads they used to run in the 1990s and 2000s. Between the statements "Your best buys are ALWAYS" and "at Fry's...Guaranteed", they had what sounds like a directed energy weapon from Star Wars firing 3 times.

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
They still have their grocery stores, I know of one in Yuma AZ where my sister lives.
Don’t really appreciate the opinions on gift cards, first this was a gift to me from someone I care about and second, the comments are useless and not helpful after the fact.

Last edited:

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
They still have their grocery stores, I know of one in Yuma AZ where my sister lives.
The grocery chain was sold to another company and the Fry brothers used the proceeds from the sale to start Fry's Electronics. They are not related at all.
Don’t really appreciate the opinions on gift cards, first this was a gift to me from someone I care about and second, the comments are useless and not helpful after the fact.
Those are my opinions. Of course, if someone gives me a gift card, I'll be appreciative, but I at least am courteous enough not to give them to other people.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garlandbob