Recommendations - R7, R3, Redline EX or V1 G2 - read on

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hi Guys....

Before I start...loving my DFR7nowNZ thanks to @Mithheru and his skills :cool:

My son is in the market for a detector....hes not got a lot of money, and has a mate in the US who can send him one...I think the R7 is the winner, it's a fantastic unit and with the Mike's work...stunning

He's keen on a Redline EX or V1 G2 - 'cause that's what the cool cats have ...... I'm trying to convince him otherwise.

Are there any good reasons why he should avoid the Redline EX or V1 G2 , which I might add , have phone integration - that's the attraction

Thoughts appreciated

Ray

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ve heard poor reviews for the redline ex with Redflex in NZ. I’d go with a R7 or V1G2 if money permits. Or a R1- great on Ka, but pretty much useless for K, so if you’re not worried about K, then a good budget option is an imported R1.

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I’ve heard poor reviews for the redline ex with Redflex in NZ. I’d go with a R7 or V1G2 if money permits. Or a R1- great on Ka, but pretty much useless for K, so if you’re not worried about K, then a good budget option is an imported R1.
He could stretch to a V1G2 from Amazon....how effective are they in NZ...apparently there is a Euro mode, but doe sit make them noisy?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
He could stretch to a V1G2 from Amazon....how effective are they in NZ...apparently there is a Euro mode, but doe sit make
He could stretch to a V1G2 from Amazon....how effective are they in NZ...apparently there is a Euro mode, but doe sit make them noisy?
I didn’t know Amazon sold the V1G2s
V1G2 has been excellent on both K-Redflex and Ka. Run natively any radar detector is noisy. Features in the more expensive ones enable you to quieten them down- things like quiet ride- mute below a certain speed. People will tell you I run this and run that or run this frequency blah blah, but at the end of the day you will still get annoyed from door openers and the odd bsm from certain cars. Nothing is perfect, but with the right settings you can get them to be relatively bearable.

R7/R3- you should be able to use speed based muting.

V1G2 you will need to run it with an app or at least setup custom frequencies at minimum.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For use in NZ my R7 international 137 is really going to take things by storm I think. I'm releasing this today, so perhaps watch the comments and feedback once more people start testing it and sharing their experiences.

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
V1G2 has been excellent on both K-Redflex and Ka. Run natively any radar detector is noisy. Features in the more expensive ones enable you to quieten them down- things like quiet ride- mute below a certain speed. People will tell you I run this and run that or run this frequency blah blah, but at the end of the day you will still get annoyed from door openers and the odd bsm from certain cars. Nothing is perfect, but with the right settings you can get them to be relatively bearable.

V1G2 you will need to run it with an app or at least setup custom frequencies at minimum.
@dudeinnz - I noticed from some history you were in a thread on the Redline EX - and there was some discussion on the serial number 96** VS 84** - what was the outcome of this please

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@dudeinnz - I noticed from some history you were in a thread on the Redline EX - and there was some discussion on the serial number 96** VS 84** - what was the outcome of this please
Its been a while, could you point me to the thread please. I am assuming one is the US sold version, and one is the internationally sold version.
I know some members who bought the EX discovered quite poor - nil redflex detection. Ka Seemed to be fine.

D3peo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I personally had a Redline EX and got rid of it and picked up the R3 for the better performance and I don’t regret it at all. R3 paired with @Mithheru firmware its dead silent and better performance.

But IF i were to upgrade from the R3, i would go for the R7, ive only heard very good things from it especially paired with Mithheru’s firmware and DB.

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score

Amazone has a new Valentine 1 Gen 2 listed as Amazon's Choice for 587.97 with 19 left in stock. Makes no sense to me unless buying one in NZ from Amazon is less than direct to NZ from Valentine?

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Amazone has a new Valentine 1 Gen 2 listed as Amazon's Choice for 587.97 with 19 left in stock. Makes no sense to me unless buying one in NZ from Amazon is less than direct to NZ from Valentine?
There price is jacked , stupid - and they are an Amazon preferred choice - doh

I think I’m leaning towards @Mithheru firmware for an R7

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I run Gen 2/JBV1 and it is almost too quiet. I get the occasional beep from Holden BSM, nothing else. 200 metres on Redflex pole mount with K Verifyer on.
My JBV1 has an NZ cam database loaded and CSA's. It also has voice control enabled.
Ka range is fairly extreme, best has been 5 km's with a couple of gentle bends and some foliage between me and plod on SH27.
Plus I like the low profile look of the V1.

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I run Gen 2/JBV1 and it is almost too quiet. I get the occasional beep from Holden BSM, nothing else. 200 metres on Redflex pole mount with K Verifyer on.
My JBV1 has an NZ cam database loaded and CSA's. It also has voice control enabled.
Ka range is fairly extreme, best has been 5 km's with a couple of gentle bends and some foliage between me and plod on SH27.
Plus I like the low profile look of the V1.
How does it perform against vans?
Post automatically merged:

Hey guys......thanks for all your input and suggestions.

Decision made - we ordered an R7 today...good times.

Decision based on Vortex's reviews, @Mithheru development ....

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm also currently in private negotiations to see if I can offer 2 year warranty as standard on my R7 International version when obtained through my supply line. I think many people would agree a 12m warranty on something in that price bracket needs a rethink.

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Bloody seller has issue refund “sorry can’t ship to NZ” at present - back to the drawing board

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Bloody seller has issue refund “sorry can’t ship to NZ” at present - back to the drawing board
you can use a third party like myus or many others to get it here

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Amazon
Post automatically merged:

NZPost do it - but damn they are expensive
Try Ebay, set your address to NZ, you should get a few options
R7 EBAY - This is a pretty good deal shipped to NZ in my opinion.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downhiller2010