Tiger Woods' accident - the technical side

gwing

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In my previous life, I lived on Indian Valley Rd. in RPV. We were 4 houses from Hawthorne. I drove this road everyday for a few years. Mostly faster than the PSL because I was "testing cars" as an excuse. I once took my 74 Camaro for a shakedown drive on Hawthorne. There might have been some speeding. No tires left the road. Not sure how this happened even after watching all the TMzzz videos.
Post automatically merged:

Not sure if Hyundai does this, however, a lot of newer vehicles have GPS recorders in them that are akin to a black box on an airliner. I actually read the fine print that came with my car and it mandated release of the GPS data to law enforcement. Not sure if the cops are going to press charges against him after this incident, however, they did after his DUI.

It is likely that his professional golfing career is over. He won the 2008 US open while paying with a broken left tibia and torn ligaments. That took several surgeries and lengthy rehabilitation to recover from. He recently underwent his 5th back surgery and now has sustained a massive injury to his lower right leg. On the flip side, every time he has been counted out, he comes roaring back. That dude has brass [email protected]
A subpoena has to be sent to the automaker to get them to reveal the data in the ABS/SRS MICU.

Last edited:

RollerTech

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Not sure if Hyundai does this, however, a lot of newer vehicles have GPS recorders in them that are akin to a black box on an airliner. I actually read the fine print that came with my car and it mandated release of the GPS data to law enforcement. Not sure if the cops are going to press charges against him after this incident, however, they did after his DUI.

It is likely that his professional golfing career is over. He won the 2008 US open while paying with a broken left tibia and torn ligaments. That took several surgeries and lengthy rehabilitation to recover from. He recently underwent his 5th back surgery and now has sustained a massive injury to his lower right leg. On the flip side, every time he has been counted out, he comes roaring back. That dude has brass [email protected]
Hyundai has used EDRs (Event Data Recorders) in their cars since roughly 2010 which can be read out by special tools. Though not required by NHTSA almost all new passenger vehicles have them now. That being said because of privacy laws they would only be able to access this data if they either had the owners permission or by warrant. I would guess one way or another the police will be accessing the data but most likely this won't be made public.

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Here we go:

Tiger Woods crashed on dangerous, curvy road known as problem area​

I'm curious what the engineering and traffic survey says. The city usually posts them online so I'll try to dig it up and post here.

Today there were multiple surveyors taking measurements near the crash site. Wasn't running any CMs but looked like laser measurement systems.
Post automatically merged:

Here we go:

Tiger Woods crashed on dangerous, curvy road known as problem area​

I'm curious what the engineering and traffic survey says. The city usually posts them online so I'll try to dig it up and post here.

Today there were multiple surveyors taking measurements near the crash site. Wasn't running any CMs but looked like laser measurement systems.
From the article:
Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn, who represents that area, on Wednesday called for a safety review of the road.
"Anyone who has driven the stretch of Hawthorne Blvd where Tiger Woods crashed his car will tell you how easy it is to pick up speed on that hill," Hahn wrote on Twitter.

Um...ok so use your brakes. What am I missing here? What can actually be done here to "improve safety"? It's a grade and it can't be leveled. Maybe add an ugly concrete median (and remove several 80 year old trees from the planted median)?

I see increased patrols and speed traps here for the next month or so, then back to normal when the media moves on the next sensationalist event.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garlandbob