Arizona Road Trip

moneychanger

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I will be flying into Phoenix for a two week stay in Arizona. I will rent a car, and plan to travel extensively in the north, south, and east of Arizona. I will carry a R3 with me, but I will feel naked without my ALP setup. Just wondering if our Arizona Forum members can share some insight as to what I can expect from law enforcement on the roads of Arizona. Thanks.

cavecreek93

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@moneychanger the weather will be beautiful this week. Enjoy!

I am sure others will chime in but I see a lot of unmarked cars that come up from behind on the Loop 101. Chargers, pickup trucks, etc. I check my 6 often. There are also redlight cameras and mobile enforcement vans in play throughout the valley.

The vans are easy to pick up if you pay attention as the LEOs put up signage alerting to an enforcement zone.

cthorne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I went to Arizona & when I got back, I had two tickets waiting for me in the mail. They call it photo radar, but it does not involve radar. There are sensors in the road. They drop the speed limit by 30mph. Post the limit on very hard to see signs & take your picture to send with the request for funds.

Rumor was after 30 days it would go away. Not so. You could lose your license if you don’t pay. Called a lawyer, very expensive.

I was lucky & was able to substitute defensive driving for one of them. Had I got a ticket from a red light camera, I was told that I would have to attend classes in person in Arizona.

Have not been back to Arizona.

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Make sure you use waze and triple check that you have all the red light cameras turned on. Many cities are filled with the cameras. If you do get a photo radar ticket in the mail, ignore it. They are required by law to serve you via a process server within 90 days of the date it was filed with the court. Some cities are aggressive with this, some are not. I got one a few years back and was never served so it disappeared.

bhrodeoaz

Lifted and tuned Ram
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Waze alongside highway radar with your R3, you will be fine. HOWEVER....a new law did go into effect. If you are seen by ANY leo with your phone in your hand...it dont matter if you just holding it, texting, talking , navigating or what have ya. It is a primary offense and you can be pulled over for that infraction all by itself. Over the last couple of weeks here in phx and other areas have stepped up enforcement on thaf law alone. But you will see a plethora of K-band and Ka band. Laser more so down in tucson, but it is here in phx and up in flag by DPS primarily.

moneychanger

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Wow, interesting. Sounds like Arizona takes traffic enforcement seriously. Lots of K-band. I hate to hear that. I usually run my R3 in city mode as we have mostly, but not exclusively, Ka here in Alabama. Sensors in the road for speed determination! I don't like that at all. Is it identified on WAZE or/and Highway radar? And how would you report a such a situation on WAZE? It's not LEO with radar or Lidar?

bhrodeoaz

Lifted and tuned Ram
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
As for sensors in the road the only places you will find those are at fixed RLC locations. The mobile photo enforcement vans/trailers you short burst k band radar. More commonly the AGD-340

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tucker98