Running JBV1 through a secondary phone

frostyfrost

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
This forum inspired me to order the Valentine One Gen 2. I'm a loyal iPhone user, but ordered a cheap Android phone to run JBV1 through my in-car wifi.

Here's my question: if I use my iPhone for CarPlay (I really want to be able to get the on-screen iMessage alerts) and Waze/Google Maps, will the Android running JBV1 and connected to infotainment via Bluetooth still be able to voice alert and interrupt the audio (either a podcast through iPhone Carplay or SiriusXM running from the infotainment)? If so, will the infotainment revert to the original audio source after JBV1 voice alerts?

Not sure if this makes a difference, but my car's infotainment is Uconnect 4 (Chrysler FCA). Thanks so much!

hammerdown

The North remembers....
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would think that would depend on the vehicles audio software... so not sure.

I can tell you a dedicated droid is the way to go for jbv1. Find a accessory wire to hardwire that phone to, download llama on it to control power on /off stick it on cheap ebay mount and forget about it. I've been running one for years. I start truck, phone comes out of sleep, BT turns on, connects to V1 seamlessly, I dont have to do anything other than update JBV1 once in a while when JB issues an update.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
@frostyfrost There are several ways to run it, and the way you described is just one of them. I have an iPhone, JVC 7 inch CarPlay head unit which I run VVaze, Tidal, handsfree phone, handsfree text (voice to text - text to voice). I have my Android and JVB1 set to auto connect to the HotSpot on my iPhone. I have JBV1 running in what I would call V1G2 standalone mode. All my Android does is run JBV1, talks to my V1G2 via BT, and gets its Internet connection through the iPhone HotSpot. My iPhone supplies the HotSpot, is connect via lighting cable to my CarPlay head unit for power, data, and connectivity (it is its own Internet source).

I think the key to thinking about everything that is going on is to think about it this way:
To get the most out of JBV1, one needs a Valentine One, an Android device, access to the Internet, BT connection to the V1. The V1G2 has its own BT and any modern Android device has BT. Now we just have to get an Internet connection to the Android. This can be via a HotSpot (use another phone such as your iPhone, standalone Hot Spot (not as expensive as it used to be), or any other type phone with a data plan, or last but not least if the Android being used is the persons primary phone with a data plan). In other words, as long as your Cellular Provider allows you to run a HotSpot and you buy a no-plan Android you will have everything you need.

Now on the subject of Android phones for JBV1, first I say go with a No-Plan unit. Second if you drive often or for distance, get the best display you can afford. The super AMOLED OLED displays are the best for use in the car in my opinion because they will get the brightest during bright sunny driving (made by Samsung, LG, and BOE). My JBV1 Android is a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Yes a $39 Walmart no-plan Android works fine but washes out in bright sun and can lack detail. The used market such as Craigs List, Declutter, and other used phone sources are a means to get a better display at a not so expensive retail price.

So in closing, if your cellular plan comes with a HotSpot, all you need is an Android with BT.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I run a dedicated phone separate from my car system/daily phone running AA.
All V1/JBV1 alerts and announcements inc CSA's and cam database warnings are then separate and clearly audible over the infotainment system, and not subject to any glitches in that system. And it remains consistent whether I'm using AA or just B/T audio for music.

frostyfrost

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I would think that would depend on the vehicles audio software... so not sure.

I can tell you a dedicated droid is the way to go for jbv1. Find a accessory wire to hardwire that phone to, download llama on it to control power on /off stick it on cheap ebay mount and forget about it. I've been running one for years. I start truck, phone comes out of sleep, BT turns on, connects to V1 seamlessly, I dont have to do anything other than update JBV1 once in a while when JB issues an update.
Thanks! Would you mind linking to the wiring you used to hardwire your phone? And what exactly did you use llama for? Any details on that are helpful, as literally my first Android will be this cheap Moto G i ordered to run JBV1.
Post automatically merged:

@frostyfrost There are several ways to run it, and the way you described is just one of them. I have an iPhone, JVC 7 inch CarPlay head unit which I run VVaze, Tidal, handsfree phone, handsfree text (voice to text - text to voice). I have my Android and JVB1 set to auto connect to the HotSpot on my iPhone. I have JBV1 running in what I would call V1G2 standalone mode. All my Android does is run JBV1, talks to my V1G2 via BT, and gets its Internet connection through the iPhone HotSpot. My iPhone supplies the HotSpot, is connect via lighting cable to my CarPlay head unit for power, data, and connectivity (it is its own Internet source).

I think the key to thinking about everything that is going on is to think about it this way:
To get the most out of JBV1, one needs a Valentine One, an Android device, access to the Internet, BT connection to the V1. The V1G2 has its own BT and any modern Android device has BT. Now we just have to get an Internet connection to the Android. This can be via a HotSpot (use another phone such as your iPhone, standalone Hot Spot (not as expensive as it used to be), or any other type phone with a data plan, or last but not least if the Android being used is the persons primary phone with a data plan). In other words, as long as your Cellular Provider allows you to run a HotSpot and you buy a no-plan Android you will have everything you need.

Now on the subject of Android phones for JBV1, first I say go with a No-Plan unit. Second if you drive often or for distance, get the best display you can afford. The super AMOLED OLED displays are the best for use in the car in my opinion because they will get the brightest during bright sunny driving (made by Samsung, LG, and BOE). My JBV1 Android is a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Yes a $39 Walmart no-plan Android works fine but washes out in bright sun and can lack detail. The used market such as Craigs List, Declutter, and other used phone sources are a means to get a better display at a not so expensive retail price.

So in closing, if your cellular plan comes with a HotSpot, all you need is an Android with BT.

Thanks so much for the input. I have in-car wifi already, so the Android phone I am purchasing will not have a data plan.

Do you have any experience or input regarding the following?

If I use my iPhone direct connected to CarPlay (I really want to be able to get the on-screen iMessage alerts) and Waze/Google Maps, will the Android running JBV1 be able to voice alert and interrupt the audio (either a podcast through iPhone Carplay or SiriusX) running from the infotainment? If so, will the infotainment revert to the original audio source after JBV1 voice alerts?

Last edited:

Roc33

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
As for your question as to whether the android phone will play alerts through the car the answer is no.

unless you are playing the podcast/streaming media through the android phone it doesn’t have the ability to change the input of your stereo (over CarPlay, which has higher priority in the system). The Bluetooth input on your stereo is passive, just like any of the other audio connections, so your phone can’t force a system change, unlike AndroidAuto/CarPlay

Right now your options are:

1. Use the phone audio for alerts
2. Use your android as the primary audio device and connect it to android auto.
3. Wait until the iOS version of Highway Radar gets done and use that (I know, not as good)

I personally do number 1, the phone is more than loud enough for me to notice anything. Plus I’m usually running Waze on CarPlay to be able to use reports etc.

frostyfrost

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
As for your question as to whether the android phone will play alerts through the car the answer is no.

unless you are playing the podcast/streaming media through the android phone it doesn’t have the ability to change the input of your stereo (over CarPlay, which has higher priority in the system). The Bluetooth input on your stereo is passive, just like any of the other audio connections, so your phone can’t force a system change, unlike AndroidAuto/CarPlay

Right now your options are:

1. Use the phone audio for alerts
2. Use your android as the primary audio device and connect it to android auto.
3. Wait until the iOS version of Highway Radar gets done and use that (I know, not as good)

I personally do number 1, the phone is more than loud enough for me to notice anything. Plus I’m usually running Waze on CarPlay to be able to use reports etc.
This is very helpful! Thanks. I appreciate this very much.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
This is very helpful! Thanks. I appreciate this very much.

Another nice thing about JBV1 and Apple CarPlay forcing one to use the Android for audio is that one can set the audio level where one wants it and forget it most times. Plus when you have multiple thing going on in CarPlay this prevents an audio alert from JBV1 being ignored, talked over, or delayed while one still keeps all the auto resume audio with VVaze and other apps inside of the CarPlay environment (VVaze, Text to audio, phone calls, calendar alerts, Tidal/HD radio/XM, etc).

hammerdown

The North remembers....
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks! Would you mind linking to the wiring you used to hardwire your phone? And what exactly did you use llama for? Any details on that are helpful, as literally my first Android will be this cheap Moto G i ordered to run JBV1.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks so much for the input. I have in-car wifi already, so the Android phone I am purchasing will not have a data plan.

Do you have any experience or input regarding the following?

If I use my iPhone direct connected to CarPlay (I really want to be able to get the on-screen iMessage alerts) and Waze/Google Maps, will the Android running JBV1 be able to voice alert and interrupt the audio (either a podcast through iPhone Carplay or SiriusX) running from the infotainment? If so, will the infotainment revert to the original audio source after JBV1 voice alerts?
As far as wiring, I keep it simple with an add a circuit kit from Walmart. Find a fuse thats only on with ignition switch such as a sunroof or the radio,plug in the add a circuit, add OEM fuse back in. In my F150, I chose the circuit for the power sliding rear window because I never used it much anyway and motor burnt up years ago, I'm not spending the cash to fix it, so it's not a used circuit and only has power with ignition on.

From there I find a good ground spot and tie in my accessories. Luckily everything that we like to play with, all of our toys, take very little voltage so I have ran the following off one add a circuit:

V1 / V1C
Dedicated droid by wiring in a USB port.
Dash camera
Laser jammer. (ALP and TMG)

That's the easiest way I know to do it.

Now, llama you download and it will control your phone completely you can set all kinds of parameters perfect for running a dedicated phone. App pretty self explanatory once you download it.

You could probably get away without it and just have your phone on all the time if you drive your car everyday. If not... BT on will burn your phone battery down really quick and you will always have a dead phone when you go to start your car. Llama fixes that issue.

For example I have my set to upon sensing that the phone is charging, which happens when i start car, to wake up phone, turn on Bluetooth and turn on Wi-Fi and run waze and jbv1. When llama senses that the phone is no longer charging, which is when I turn the car off, it kills BT and wifi and puts the phone in hibernation.

Last edited:

Rocket Jockey

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Great Thread!
AWESOME Information!

Well Done!...

frostyfrost

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
As far as wiring, I keep it simple with an add a circuit kit from Walmart. Find a fuse thats only on with ignition switch such as a sunroof or the radio,plug in the add a circuit, add OEM fuse back in. In my F150, I chose the circuit for the power sliding rear window because I never used it much anyway and motor burnt up years ago, I'm not spending the cash to fix it, so it's not a used circuit and only has power with ignition on.

From there I find a good ground spot and tie in my accessories. Luckily everything that we like to play with, all of our toys, take very little voltage so I have ran the following off one add a circuit:

V1 / V1C
Dash camera

Now, llama you download and it will control your phone completely you can set all kinds of parameters perfect for running a dedicated phone. App pretty self explanatory once you download it.

You could probably get away without it and just have your phone on all the time if you drive your car everyday. If not... BT on will burn your phone battery down really quick and you will always have a dead phone when you go to start your car. Llama fixes that issue.

For example I have my set to upon sensing that the phone is charging, which happens when i start car, to wake up phone, turn on Bluetooth and turn on Wi-Fi and run waze and jbv1. When llama senses that the phone is no longer charging, which is when I turn the car off, it kills BT and wifi and puts the phone in hibernation.
Fantastic info, thanks so much!

jcaptchaos2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I run WAZE on my Iphone, I use my Iphone as a hotspot to run JBV1 and Highway Radar on my Moto tablet. It works awesome, plus love the big screen of the tablet.

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This forum inspired me to order the Valentine One Gen 2. I'm a loyal iPhone user, but ordered a cheap Android phone to run JBV1 through my in-car wifi.

Here's my question: if I use my iPhone for CarPlay (I really want to be able to get the on-screen iMessage alerts) and Waze/Google Maps, will the Android running JBV1 and connected to infotainment via Bluetooth still be able to voice alert and interrupt the audio (either a podcast through iPhone Carplay or SiriusXM running from the infotainment)? If so, will the infotainment revert to the original audio source after JBV1 voice alerts?

Not sure if this makes a difference, but my car's infotainment is Uconnect 4 (Chrysler FCA). Thanks so much!
It depending on your car and how your car's bt is set up. I'm in the same situation, but I run JBV1 standalone without V1. How I do it is connect my iphone with apple carplay (aftermarket), then connect my android via bt, and I'm able to merge once both are connected.

frostyfrost

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

V1 / V1C
Dash camera

Would llama be able to initiate all of this if I used wireless charging instead of usb-c? Also, when you start the car, do you need to unlock the phone with face recognition or fingerprint, or does llama bypass all that just open right to jbv1?

hammerdown

The North remembers....
Advanced User
Reaction score
Would llama be able to initiate all of this if I used wireless charging instead of usb-c? Also, when you start the car, do you need to unlock the phone with face recognition or fingerprint, or does llama bypass all that just open right to jbv1?
You would have to have it hardwired.

Also... I never use screen lock on a dedicated phone. I turn all the security off for it. I mean... why have it on? It's locked in your car mounted on your dash... and if it's dedicated you're not going to have any of your other sensitive information on it or at least in my mind you shouldnt. My .02.

beachump

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
Having a dedicated android to run JBV1 makes things so easy. I rely on the phone for the audio.
Thanks for mentioning llama, never heard of it before.

frostyfrost

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
You would have to have it hardwired.

Also... I never use screen lock on a dedicated phone. I turn all the security off for it. I mean... why have it on? It's locked in your car mounted on your dash... and if it's dedicated you're not going to have any of your other sensitive information on it or at least in my mind you shouldnt. My .02.
Hey, I couldn't figure out some of the automation in llama, but instead used macrodroid and it was super easy! And, I was able to get the automations set up with either type of charging--plugged in or wireless. It works awesome!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikelonghair