Question on braking at night with laser

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was driving home from WI around 3 in the morning. Got hit in the back laser and I brake pretty hard, the cop came out and followed me for good 10 minutes and did few IO 34.7.

I think he knew something. My question is how to avoid this type of situation? For example, VA, where RD and Laser are both illegal?

WildOne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well as I see it you have 3 options....
1) Don't go over PSL
2) Don't brake and take the ticket
3) Brake hard and fast for the dog/squirrel/deer crossing the road

I've always gone for #3. Even in VA, depending on how far away from #1 that I happen to be...
A good way to usually avoid all of the above is to have a good rabbit within range!

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well as I see it you have 3 options....
1) Don't go over PSL
2) Don't brake and take the ticket
3) Brake hard and fast for the dog/squirrel/deer crossing the road

I've always gone for #3. Even in VA, depending on how far away from #1 that I happen to be...
A good way to usually avoid all of the above is to have a good rabbit within range!
That's my rule too during the day, but at 3am, there were no cars on the road, and to be honest, I didn't even see him at all until I passed him by a bush. I usually go over the speed I feel comfortable, majority of the state highways here in WI and IL are 55, which I don't respect.

WildOne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's my rule too during the day, but at 3am, there were no cars on the road, and to be honest, I didn't even see him at all until I passed him by a bush. I usually go over the speed I feel comfortable, majority of the state highways here in WI and IL are 55, which I don't respect.
At 3 am, I tend to go for closer to #1 if I don't have a rabbit. It all depends on how lucky you feel.
It really makes perverse sense that it is safer ticket wise to go over PSL when you have cars around than when you're the only car on the road!

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
At 3 am, I tend to go for closer to #1 if I don't have a rabbit. It all depends on how lucky you feel.
It really makes perverse sense that it is safer ticket wise to go over PSL when you have cars around than when you're the only car on the road!
Very true, kinda interested in brake off switch, but really not sure how hard it is to install. I have encountered more rear laser than front. Since 2021, 5 front laser and 12 to 20 rear all hiding in a bush.

WildOne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have contemplated that in the past, but I think that could be taken as a more serious offense of evading if they thought that you hit the brakes(ie head lights take a hard dip!), but no lights.
Now days, it wouldn't be too hard to turn the brake lights off automatically when the RD detects a rear hit. Just don't have a car tail gating you with this on auto...

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have contemplated that in the past, but I think that could be taken as a more serious offense of evading if they thought that you hit the brakes(ie head lights take a hard dip!), but no lights.
Now days, it wouldn't be too hard to turn the brake lights off automatically when the RD detects a rear hit. Just don't have a car tail gating you with this on auto...
I know some hardcore rally drivers have them installed, but I think it's difficult because the brake switch plug is hidden for this reason. I know sooner or later they will know I have a jammer and pull me over for it.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Depending on your car it can be super simple or super hard.

When I did Arne's Ford LTD it was just a wire at the brake pedal switch. When we tried doing that on the S6, it caused all sorts of problems. Ended up having to mess with CANBUS settings.

Even in the 27:25 E63, the turn signals would blink twice as fast as normal when you killed the brake lights.

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Depending on your car it can be super simple or super hard.

When I did Arne's Ford LTD it was just a wire at the brake pedal switch. When we tried doing that on the S6, it caused all sorts of problems. Ended up having to mess with CANBUS settings.

Even in the 27:25 E63, the turn signals would blink twice as fast as normal when you killed the brake lights.
Yep, that’s the issue with newer cars. I don’t want to mess with braking system.

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I was driving home from WI around 3 in the morning. Got hit in the back laser and I brake pretty hard, the cop came out and followed me for good 10 minutes and did few IO 34.7.

I think he knew something. My question is how to avoid this type of situation? For example, VA, where RD and Laser are both illegal?

I don't think this is a situation that you have to avoid. You braked and saved yourself a ticket. He might have suspected it, but couldn't do anything about it. He tried to intimidate you a little but you kept your cool.

This is a win. Do the exact same thing next time.

Even in VA, a detector/jammer infraction is a non-points violation. So you're still probably better off tagging the brakes even if you happen to be in VA.

sooner or later they will know I have a jammer and pull me over for it.

From @Vortex page about jammers:

"It’s not uncommon for a laser gun to take a little longer to get a speed reading sometimes, whether it’s due to handshake from a police officer and the lidar gun not getting a consistent reading, a lower profile sports car that’s harder to get a reading off of, a smaller vehicle at a distance, and so on, so an extra 2-3 seconds isn’t generally a big deal."

Brake fast, kill the jammers to let him get a reading at legal speed, and in the unlikely event they ever question you about it, don't incriminate yourself.

Unless you're doing something that is MORE dangerous/illegal than a brake light kill switch, like smuggling large quantities of drugs or whatever, don't install a brake light kill switch.

Keep calm and brake on.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah FWIW, it's usually much easier and quicker to get a reading off the back of the vehicle since it's generally a big flat reflective target. The front grill area is a much smaller target, especially for sleek sports cars, so getting a reading would be difficult from the front than for the rear.

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yeah FWIW, it's usually much easier and quicker to get a reading off the back of the vehicle since it's generally a big flat reflective target. The front grill area is a much smaller target, especially for sleek sports cars, so getting a reading would be difficult from the front than for the rear.
Vortex, do you think LEOs are now trained to shoot from back? I have been getting only rear shots since beginning of this year and I'm in Chicago. They love my rear apparently.
Post automatically merged:

I don't think this is a situation that you have to avoid. You braked and saved yourself a ticket. He might have suspected it, but couldn't do anything about it. He tried to intimidate you a little but you kept your cool.

This is a win. Do the exact same thing next time.

Even in VA, a detector/jammer infraction is a non-points violation. So you're still probably better off tagging the brakes even if you happen to be in VA.

From @Vortex page about jammers:

"It’s not uncommon for a laser gun to take a little longer to get a speed reading sometimes, whether it’s due to handshake from a police officer and the lidar gun not getting a consistent reading, a lower profile sports car that’s harder to get a reading off of, a smaller vehicle at a distance, and so on, so an extra 2-3 seconds isn’t generally a big deal."

Brake fast, kill the jammers to let him get a reading at legal speed, and in the unlikely event they ever question you about it, don't incriminate yourself.

Unless you're doing something that is MORE dangerous/illegal than a brake light kill switch, like smuggling large quantities of drugs or whatever, don't install a brake light kill switch.

Keep calm and brake on.
Nice, thank you!

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The io while he was following you and the obviously pacing you intrigues me. He already knows your speed via the pacing so why bother with the io shots? Was it to see if they can spot countermeasures or was it to get an admissible record of your speed?

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The io while he was following you and the obviously pacing you intrigues me. He already knows your speed via the pacing so why bother with the io shots? Was it to see if they can spot countermeasures or was it to get an admissible record of your speed?
I'd go with the .... "an admissible record of your speed" vs. the officer saying to the judge... "In my professional opinion, the defendant was traveling xx mph......"

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
This took place in VA where RDs are banned. The LEO was trying to see if his target was equipped with a RD by watching for the brake lights.

GTO_04

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Braking is not a violation. If you want to not bring attention to it you can apply moderate Ebrake or down shift. Besides that I’d just call that there a bored cop.

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This took place in VA where RDs are banned. The LEO was trying to see if his target was equipped with a RD by watching for the brake lights.

GTO_04
According to the op, it took place in WI, not VA.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikelonghair