Another auto start issue

chekleto

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Oneplus 8 (Tmo version) with android 11 and Dec 2020 security patch.

Auto start works intermittent.
It works if I was away/disconnected from the V1G2 for 1-2 hours or less.
Next morning it does not auto connect.

I have the "Waiting for auto start - V1", but I need to open the JBV1 and press connect to start it in the morning.
Battery optimization for the app is off. In the app - auto start is on, detector is in the list and checked.

Any ideas what else to check or eventually I could be missing in the settings?

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like some flavors of Android, or maybe a recent security patch, may be dozing the BLE scan after a short while. It still works overnight on my Pixel 2 XL with Android 11, but my latest security patch is October 2020 and my device has since been de-supported for further updates.

If you wait long enough, does it eventually wake up and find it? And what about if you unlock the phone and wait?

For developers, every new Android release/patch is never, "What are the awesome new features?" Instead, it's always, "What new restrictions did they add this time, and what did they break?"

Last edited:

novarider

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've Been having auto start issues as well lately. Even just overnight. Sometimes it will eventually connect but it's really slow.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Something that I've found that works on my Android 10 Moto phone is to turn location services off and on quickly.
That seems to wake up BLE right away.
This isn't a fix, but part of diagnosing the issue. It might be interesting to see what others experience.

JBV1 can also be automatically launched with a bluetooth connection, a wifi connection, and an automation app.

BMWBig6

Premium Lifetime
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Subscribing too, noticing auto-start issues this week as well (on different vehicles/V1s), but worked flawlessly prior (haven't changed any settings lately). Android 10 on Samsung Note 9. I noticed that when it happens, JBV1 will never find the device no matter how many times I close and re-open JBv1 but my remote display bluetooth indicator is lit up blue as if already connected. Very strange. I haven't tried Bloovy One's workaround to "wake" up with Location Services toggle.

Last edited:

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Subscribing too, noticing auto-start issues this week as well (on different vehicles/V1s), but worked flawlessly prior (haven't changed any settings lately). Android 10 on Samsung Note 9. I noticed that when it happens, JBV1 will never find the device no matter how many times I close and re-open JBv1 but my remote display bluetooth indicator is lit up blue as if already connected. Very strange. I haven't tried Bloovy One's workaround to "wake" up with Location Services toggle.
If the V1 Bluetooth indicator light is lit, something is already connected. In this state, JBV1 will not be able to find or connect to your V1.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
That sounds different than what I'm experiencing. The Bluetooth light is not on for me before connecting JBV1.

WildOne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That sounds different than what I'm experiencing. The Bluetooth light is not on for me before connecting JBV1.
I may have had this experience yesterday. The phone had just upgraded to the february release of Android 11. I couldn't get JBV1 to find the V1- manually or automatically. V1 connection came right up and found it.
I restarted JBV1, then the phone, back to kill all apps and restart the phone, killed bluetooth, turned it back on. Nothing. I evidently got lucky when I killed the location and turned it back on. Suddenly it just worked!

Since then it seems to be fine again. Auto works as it should. Give @Bloovy One a free next upgrade! ;)

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Give @Bloovy One a free next upgrade! ;)
Heck no. I donate monthly for JBV1 and to a lesser extent Highway Radar (because I use the heatmap data that Ferius generates within JBV1) :)
Both are worth the donation given what they provide. :cool:

JBV1 and Highway Radar are free to use. So is Valentine's V1 Connection app.

If anyone has any further ideas on this particular issue, please post it. It might get to be a bigger concern in the future. :-(

WildOne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Heck no. I donate monthly for JBV1 and to a lesser extent Highway Radar (because I use the heatmap data that Ferius generates within JBV1) :)
Both are worth the donation given what they provide. :cool:

JBV1 and Highway Radar are free to use. So is Valentine's V1 Connection app.

If anyone has any further ideas on this particular issue, please post it. It might get to be a bigger concern in the future. :-(
Should I have put that free upgrade in purple? Or should I be seeing purple in your response? My coffee hasn't hit in yet......

chekleto

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Sounds like some flavors of Android, or maybe a recent security patch, may be dozing the BLE scan after a short while. It still works overnight on my Pixel 2 XL with Android 11, but my latest security patch is October 2020 and my device has since been de-supported for further updates.

If you wait long enough, does it eventually wake up and find it? And what about if you unlock the phone and wait?

For developers, every new Android release/patch is never, "What are the awesome new features?" Instead, it's always, "What new restrictions did they add this time, and what did they break?"
I tried it in the morning (yesterday):
* It did non connect for 15min on my commute
* waking up the phone did not help to auto connect
* at the end of the morning commute I connected it manually and it did not have any issues reconnecting during the day (even after ~4 hour stop)

Seems like something happens overnight - some sort of night OS clean up ? - that brakes the auto connect in the morning

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Should I have put that free upgrade in purple? Or should I be seeing purple in your response? My coffee hasn't hit in yet......
No problem. I just wanted to clarify for those that may not know the details yet about these apps. :)

BMWBig6

Premium Lifetime
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If the V1 Bluetooth indicator light is lit, something is already connected. In this state, JBV1 will not be able to find or connect to your V1.
I agree, but nothing else automatically connects to my V1 except JBV1. My phone doesn't show any of my V1 units on the list of paired bluetooth devices list, and I only use V1 Connection to manually upgrade firmware (does it also have an auto-start feature?). I'm wondering if JBV1 made some kind of initial connection but something failed in the last part of the handshake. This happened with 2 different V1 units (2 different vehicles). I will continue to monitor for additional clues.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My phone doesn't show B/T devices without names, but can be enabled to show Mac addresses. (Android 10)
B/T LE has only a Mac address.
Is your V1 listed/ticked in JBV1 under devices?

BMWBig6

Premium Lifetime
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My phone doesn't show B/T devices without names, but can be enabled to show Mac addresses. (Android 10)
B/T LE has only a Mac address.
Is your V1 listed/ticked in JBV1 under devices?
Yep, all of them are shown under devices, and auto-start has worked fine forever. Only recently started noticing issues (with the same phone, same V1, same vehicles, etc.). I'm not suggesting JBV1 is at fault, just sharing my data point that I'm definitely experiencing auto-start trouble lately too. And my BT indicator being illuminated on my V1 is likely a major clue.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Have you tried clearing B/T and JBV1 caches? Or as a last resort un/reinstall of JBV1?

BMWBig6

Premium Lifetime
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Have you tried clearing B/T and JBV1 caches? Or as a last resort un/reinstall of JBV1?
Not yet, good suggestions that I will try.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikelonghair