More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Screenshot_1613875614.png
Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce Highway Radar v2.5.1. This is a relatively minor update, so I'm planning to keep it in beta mode just for a couple of days and then release it publicly.

Here are the primary changes
  • Added a button hiding confirm/not there prompt without sending any response
  • Added an option to configure map labels opacity
  • Removed sound configuration for radar bands if no detector is connected
  • Added donation section in settings
  • Supported SABRE protocol v1.1
There are also a couple of updates outside of the main application
  • Updated donations options
    I recently noticed that whenever someone donates via PayPal, the system may reveal my real identity. What is worse is that I can't turn it off.
    With this in mind, I've set up three different ways to donate – Liberapay, Patreon, and Ko-fi. Detailed information is available on https://highwayradar.com/donate/.
    If you have an old PayPal link saved somewhere, you may still use it, but please don't share it. If you're Int+ and would like to donate, please shoot me a PM; I'll give you a way to support the development without any payment processing fees.
  • Introduced SABRE v1.1
    This is an update for the original SABRE protocol, which supports some new features, and has more potential to integrate with various platforms. Technical description is still at https://sabre.app/. This is a fully backward-compatible change, so end-users don't need to worry about it. This will matter for you only if you're developing your own app supporting SABRE (cc @johnboy00, @schuster).
  • Old versions deprecation
    I had to deprecate aircraft alerts in all versions of Highway Radar before v2.4.3. The reason for this is that these versions put an unreasonably high load on ADSBx servers.

This is a beta release, so please expect some bugs or issues may happen. Please report them here or using the bug report feature (triple tap on the speed or "Submit bug report" using the voice control).
Have fun! And special thanks to those 232 people who switched to the beta update channel!

Last edited:

rct101

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Not sure if it's this beta release or not but I noticed my "Ok Google" command does not work with voice control enabled. "Voice Command" works. I can reproduce issue by enabling and disabling voice control. Tried rebooting phone but same issue.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Not sure if it's this beta release or not but I noticed my "Ok Google" command does not work with voice control enabled. "Voice Command" works. I can reproduce issue by enabling and disabling voice control. Tried rebooting phone but same issue.
What Android version do you have? And do you use Highway Radar together with Android Auto, or do you expect response to "Ok Google" without AAuto?

Anyway, I don't think I have control over this, Android systems is the only authority here. From my experience, when running Highway Radar with AAuto on the latest Android version, both voice activations seem to work fine at the same time. If this doesn't work for you, I'd suggest disabling voice activation in Highway Radar, and use a 3-finger tap anywhere to start the HwR voice command -- this is also very convenient, and this is the way I personally use to do the voice commands.

rct101

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm running Galaxy s20 with android 11. Yes I use Highway radar with AAuto. Was trying to "OK Google" to start a navigation on Waze and noticed the no response. Thought this worked before even with Highway radar voice control enabled? Either way I'm fine with the 3-finger tap. Thanks.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I'm running Galaxy s20 with android 11. Yes I use Highway radar with AAuto. Was trying to "OK Google" to start a navigation on Waze and noticed the no response. Thought this worked before even with Highway radar voice control enabled? Either way I'm fine with the 3-finger tap. Thanks.
Interesting. I'm using Pixel 4 also with Android 11, and both work fine for me. Anyway, that isn't something I can easily fix.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
@ferius, is there some way to control how far away planes are being detected and displayed? I can't find a setting. I'm picking up planes way too far away. Thank you.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
@ferius, is there some way to control how far away planes are being detected and displayed? I can't find a setting. I'm picking up planes way too far away. Thank you.
Are you talking about gray planes (no alert, just display, as too far away), or about colored ones (that have some number of dots in the alert)?

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I believe the colored ones. I'm seeing lots of planes greater than 15 miles away. I don't ever recall seeing the banner warnings so far away. Thanks.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I believe the colored ones. I'm seeing lots of planes greater than 15 miles away. I don't ever recall seeing the banner warnings so far away. Thanks.
For colored ones try reducing aircraft sensitivity in Settings -> aircraft.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
OK, I'll give it a try. That's the only setting I thought might impact it. Thanks.

Baldy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi ferius,

How can I send you a PP donation or e-transfer? Love the app.

Also, noticed another helicopter not alerting a few days ago. CF-DJB (it's actually supposed to be C-FDJB apparently). It shows on the map, but no alert. A friend of mine noticed another one on the same day, however didn't catch the tail number (he was over 100km away from me at the time, so I know it most likely wasn't the same one).

On another note, is there also a way to limit how many aircraft show at the top of the screen in landscape mode from say 3 to 2 or 1...or just to show them within a certain distance?

And with regard to the bluetooth low accessibility volume, would this be a possible fix?

<!-- to control accessibility volume -->
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CHANGE_ACCESSIBILITY_VOLUME" />

Also noticed a bunch of code for changing accessibility volume here: https://bit.ly/3kh1SDg

Hope that might help solve the low volume issues, and thanks again for an awesome app.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi @Baldy,

How can I send you a PP donation or e-transfer? Love the app.
I'm really glad that you liked the app. Donations options are listed here https://highwayradar.com/donate/. I've limited PayPal options for now, but there are three other methods available there.

Also, noticed another helicopter not alerting a few days ago. CF-DJB (it's actually supposed to be C-FDJB apparently). It shows on the map, but no alert. A friend of mine noticed another one on the same day, however didn't catch the tail number (he was over 100km away from me at the time, so I know it most likely wasn't the same one).
Do you remember, how far away was it? And do you remember if there was a "(?)" next to the "Airplane" in the alert? I think that it was too far away to track your speed, so the app didn't issue any audible alerts, but displayed it for situational awareness. In this case the arrow should have a gray color. You can enable displaying only nearby aircraft in settings.

On another note, is there also a way to limit how many aircraft show at the top of the screen in landscape mode from say 3 to 2 or 1...or just to show them within a certain distance?
There is no way to limit number of aircraft show. However, there is way to limit the total number of alerts on top of the map (they also include radar/laser alerts, and unconfirmed crowdsourced when a SABRE plugin is used). Go to settings -> display -> maximum arrows on top of map.

And with regard to the bluetooth low accessibility volume, would this be a possible fix?
I don't think my accessibility service ever produce audio. All audio goes through the primary foreground service, which isn't marked as accessibility. Accessibility is only used for split-screen stuff. Or am I missing something?

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
View attachment 173109 Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce Highway Radar v2.5.1. This is a relatively minor update, so I'm planning to keep it in beta mode just for a couple of days and then release it publicly.

I recently noticed that whenever someone donates via PayPal, the system may reveal my real identity. What is worse is that I can't turn it off.
    With this in mind, I've set up three different ways to donate – Liberapay, Patreon, and Ko-fi. Detailed information is available on https://highwayradar.com/donate/.
    If you have an old PayPal link saved somewhere, you may still use it, but please don't share it. If you're Int+ and would like to donate, please shoot me a PM; I'll give you a way to support the development without any payment processing fees.
  • Introduced SABRE v1.1
    This is an update for the original SABRE protocol, which supports some new features, and has more potential to integrate with various platforms. Technical description is still at https://sabre.app/. This is a fully backward-compatible change, so end-users don't need to worry about it. This will matter for you only if you're developing your own app supporting SABRE (cc @johnboy00, @schuster).
    I had to deprecate aircraft alerts in all versions of Highway Radar before v2.4.3. The reason for this is that these versions put an unreasonably high load on ADSBx servers.

This is a beta release, so please expect some bugs or issues may happen. Please report them here or using the bug report feature (triple tap on the speed or "Submit bug report" using the voice control).
Have fun! And special thanks to those 232 people who switched to the beta update channel

View attachment 173109 Hi everyone,

• Introduced SABRE v1.1

Have fun! And special thanks to those 232 people who switched to the beta update channel!
My go-to app along with my R7. Works awesome! Possible saved me today when as the one LEO wasn't using a radar gun or my R7 didn't pick up any signals. Just probably estimating speeds.

v1fan

smeg
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks, I was wondering yesterday why the no information aircraft followed me for 15 Mi. LoL

Borntoride2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked lately. But is the IOS version in the works right now? Any sort of timeframe? Or a “no go”. Would love to use it. Lol. Thanks. @ferius

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked lately. But is the IOS version in the works right now? Any sort of timeframe? Or a “no go”. Would love to use it. Lol. Thanks. @ferius

Here’s what you are looking for:

Baldy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi @Baldy,

I'm really glad that you liked the app. Donations options are listed here https://highwayradar.com/donate/. I've limited PayPal options for now, but there are three other methods available there.

Do you remember, how far away was it? And do you remember if there was a "(?)" next to the "Airplane" in the alert? I think that it was too far away to track your speed, so the app didn't issue any audible alerts, but displayed it for situational awareness. In this case the arrow should have a gray color. You can enable displaying only nearby aircraft in settings.

There is no way to limit number of aircraft show. However, there is way to limit the total number of alerts on top of the map (they also include radar/laser alerts, and unconfirmed crowdsourced when a SABRE plugin is used). Go to settings -> display -> maximum arrows on top of map.

I don't think my accessibility service ever produce audio. All audio goes through the primary foreground service, which isn't marked as accessibility. Accessibility is only used for split-screen stuff. Or am I missing something?

1) Donated
2) There was no ? next to it. It flew about 2 block away from where I was. Arrow was grey the whole time.
3) I'll try that. The airport is about 15 miles away, so the top is always clogged up with the grey arrows due to flight paths. Due to the no alert for the heli above (which is one of 3 they use around here...although this one is the primary) I have it set to "show all".
4) Oh, I thought you mentioned before that is how it did it through the bluetooth. Either way, the voice alert over bluetooth doesn't lower the music volume like the other nav apps (and the voice announcement is pretty low in comparison), so it makes it a challenge to hear (unless I have the audio output through the phone speaker...Not a huge deal in the car obviously as I can hear the phone speaker, but I recall it being next to impossible to decipher through the Cardo on the motorcycle last summer.

Thanks again.

Baldy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@ferius

Here's a screenshot of the heli I mentioned

It shows up as "CF-DJB" which is THIS...
However it really should be "C-FDJB" which is THIS

I'm wondering if this discrepancy is what throws it off for alerting. Would there be a way to make the " - " irrelevant as long as the letter sequence is correct against known threats?

Screenshot_20210217_160549_com.highwayradar.app.jpg

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
1) Donated
Huge thanks for the donation!

2) There was no ? next to it. It flew about 2 block away from where I was. Arrow was grey the whole time.
I see. What you showed me is super strange. The screenshot is very strange as well, as it doesn't show the airplane on top.
Could you backup your settings and PM me the sharing key? (Settings -> Settings backup and sharing). Also, could you remember an exact date and time when you took the screenshot?
This will share your settings with me, so I can see your exact aircraft alerts configuration.

3) I'll try that. The airport is about 15 miles away, so the top is always clogged up with the grey arrows due to flight paths. Due to the no alert for the heli above (which is one of 3 they use around here...although this one is the primary) I have it set to "show all".
This is not good at all. I'll do my best to fix that asap.

I just checked my data sources, and it seems that I have 100% correct data for C-FDJB, and it is marked as belonging to police. Also, CF-DJB isn't listed anywhere in my databases. Assuming, you've didn't get an alert on that airplane, it was either somehow marked safe, or there is something wrong with the app.

From what I see now, possibly I could have received slightly broken data from ADSBx, or that helicopter actually used transponder broadcasting the wrong 24-bit identifier. Not sure though, need to test this further.

Anyway, this requires some serious investigation, I'm already seeing multiple issues here.

4) Oh, I thought you mentioned before that is how it did it through the bluetooth. Either way, the voice alert over bluetooth doesn't lower the music volume like the other nav apps (and the voice announcement is pretty low in comparison), so it makes it a challenge to hear (unless I have the audio output through the phone speaker...Not a huge deal in the car obviously as I can hear the phone speaker, but I recall it being next to impossible to decipher through the Cardo on the motorcycle last summer.
Ok, I've got what you mean, it was about lowering the volume during voice announcements when on Bluetooth. I'll check this on this weekend, thanks for reporting.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scbret