Texas Semiconductor Producers Forced to Curtail Production

moneychanger

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
As the catastrophic weather affects millions of Texans, and my heart goes out to those affected, we are seeing additional fallout in the form of Texas Semiconductor manufactures being forced to curtail production of chips. There was already a significant shortage of chips worldwide, this can only exasperate the supply situation. As Radenso has told us, they are struggling to secure components for the new Theia RD. Although Radenso is a quality company, I would think in the world of electronic component uses, they are relatively small. I wonder if this just further aggravates a difficult supply situation for Radenso. I'm sure many other larger consumers of chips and other electronic 'parts' will force the supplies of electronic gear to give priority the the 'big guys', and thus leaving Radenso in the dust. I certainly hope this is not the case, but speaking from experience, the biggest customers possess the clout. Should this be true, I fear Radenso is swimming upstream.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Luckily we don't have many TI parts in our detector, mainly the synthesizer which is still in decent supply.

But yes, parts are in short supply everywhere and from most companies.

EDIT: Sorry I read this quickly and thought you were talking about TI, not general fabs in Texas. I don't think this will impact us that much to be honest. But it's certainly not a good situation overall for an already stressed parts market in general.

Last edited:

moneychanger

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah that was my concern. Any parts shortage resulting from shutdowns in Texas will ultimately just tighten an already tight parts availability market. And then the big guy on the block (customer) will be satisfied first.

Robkar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have a simple project that I am building a test board for. This test board has about 25 parts ... Fully 5 of the 25 parts are back order with 90 day lead time ... We are talking resisters, caps, and diodes???
Wow never had that happen on basic parts, sure I expect the main controllers, TI, Maxum, or maybe Microchip parts to be back ordered but not the simple stuff.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
I have a simple project that I am building a test board for. This test board has about 25 parts ... Fully 5 of the 25 parts are back order with 90 day lead time ... We are talking resisters, caps, and diodes???
Wow never had that happen on basic parts, sure I expect the main controllers, TI, Maxum, or maybe Microchip parts to be back ordered but not the simple stuff.

It's completely insane, I have never seen anything like it before. What is happening is you have cash-rich mega-corps bulk buying all of the available stock on hand globally in a frantic bid to not stop production. So companies are buying millions of dollars worth of even cheap passives at a time right now. I had to scavenge Shenzen based unauthorized suppliers just to secure enough parts for employee builds of Theia. I literally could not source enough parts to build even 20 units through authorized retailers.

mbsl500

Completing TPS reports
Advanced User
Reaction score
In the words of G. S. Heron:
The U.S. used to be a producer and not a consumer.
And every consumer knows that when the producer sings the consumer has got to dance.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It's completely insane, I have never seen anything like it before. What is happening is you have cash-rich mega-corps bulk buying all of the available stock on hand globally in a frantic bid to not stop production. So companies are buying millions of dollars worth of even cheap passives at a time right now. I had to scavenge Shenzen based unauthorized suppliers just to secure enough parts for employee builds of Theia. I literally could not source enough parts to build even 20 units through authorized retailers.
Are those employee builds finished and out in the wild?

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Are those employee builds finished and out in the wild?

We are not going to discuss anything further in regards to Theia units for now. Remember, it is vaporware.

Fireball

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Makes you wonder just how much money's really out there, considering companies as large as Ford and GM are having problems sourcing these parts. They may not be the most profitable companies, but the nature of their products means hundreds of billions move through their fingers.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I had an engineering class with a teacher whose day job was Military R&D.

Our class is very entrepreneurial for whatever reason, and someone jovially asked him how to be a billionaire. He seriously gave two options.

1. Find the answer to the correct balance between security and invasion of privacy and run a company.

2. Create competitive microchips that do not have any imported materials and components.

This was 2 years ago. I ended up going to work for this teacher.

Robkar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I was able to secure a couple more parts and now down to 3 parts needed.
I am going to have to source some parts out of one of my factories. I just need few hundred... Hell there is "51" each of the ESD diodes on this test board. I think I am going to get lucky to make a few samples and then wait for months to make the short run.

Good thing testing of these boards take so long, so we will get most of the testing done with a couple boards and by then the rest of the parts will arrive, maybe...

Jon, I feel for you. it should not be this hard to get basic parts.

Sean

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Very professional response.
Well, to be fair, Randy did broach the topic of employee builds. ;)

Plus, aren't we all just chomping at the bit for even a little news?

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well, to be fair, Randy did broach the topic of employee builds. ;)

Plus, aren't we all just chomping at the bit for even a little news?
For some reason I seem to be living in the minds of Radenso rent free. I take that as a compliment :). And yes, Jon opened the door by mentioning that he secured or was in the process of securing parts for employee builds. I haven’t seen that referenced before by Radenso, thus my question.

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Every release is ALWAYS 2 weeks* away.

*special note: 2 weeks is not 2 weeks, unless it's 2 weeks.

I binge watched "For All Mankind" last week and almost spit out my drink laughing when they said "another 2 weeks"

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garlandbob