R7 BSM Filtering Easter Egg! Mazda CX-5 Proof in Settings! Video Proof!

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Today I was stuck behind the worst Mazda CX-5 BSM emitter I've had. Ever. For 40 minutes. Twisty coastal highway.
It destroyed the Cobra DualPro filtering prowess like a Gatling gun. (a little hype here :p )
I tried the DualPro on Highway, Auto, Auto Low K TSR on and it would always punch through. Like an alert. Would be quiet for 20 - 30 seconds then light up, short latch time, and go out, to return moments later.

So I decided to swap out with R7 and see the difference.
Hwy, K filter on, TSF on, the usual.
Alert came on instantly like a low K source, and ramped up closer I got to mid - 3/4 bars.
Advanced 40% was better but still quite a distance back, less level on the bar graph.
City same deal.

Now the Easter Egg!
I was trying out MRCD on the DualPro for falsing and into Vancouver next week.
So I cycled that on off on the DP360. No change to the CX-5 behaviour.

Now I turned on the R7 MRCD.
What the F*CK?? Now the detector has gone dead to the Mazda???
Reboot the power back on still no falses.
Turned off MRCD and instant Mazda hell.
Turn MRCD back on then instant quiet!!!!

So since the R7 seems to be very very good at not falsing at MRCD, and it still alerts normal to my trusty Bushnell and Talon, AND it almost totally mutes Mazda CX-5 BSM then I'm going to run it for a while.
It must be doing something with the logic and rejecting the signal.
Remember the early days when R7 would confuse an MRCD as K Band, or vise versa??
Now we have a BSM filter built into the MRCD setting!

Video shows me messing around with settings and reboot, trying to deliberately get an alert with MRCD on.
I have 40 minutes of this with both detectors but my lousy Chromebook has stopped letting me view them until after I load to YouTube.
So no editing and I haven't seen much more than glimses, just sound.
I will be away from home another week so editing will have to wait.

I thought this was important enough to warrant an emergency posting on the road.
Cheers,
Post automatically merged:

Notice the elk at 2:00?

FYI I did get 1 tiny beep using MRCD behind the Mazda, but it was extreme try to get it to do it.
Even inside the town right up its bumper.
Almost 100% effective.

Last edited:

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Interesting observation! I can’t wait to try it out. I’ve always found it strange that the R7 falsed to Mazdas when the R3 was silent.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
MRCD: Mazda Rejection CX5 Defuser

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I can agree with @DC Fluid. I’ve never seen the R7 false to a Mazda ..... but then again... I’m probably one of the few that actually has to run MRCD “ON” as a mandatory necessity.
I thought you might fit into that category! LOL.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
@DC Fluid anecdotally for the R3, I never see Mazda falses on 1.50, which has piss poor MRCD performance. On the newer firmwares where MRCD performance was addressed/improved, the Mazda falses appeared out of thin air. I never turned on MRCD to see if it helped suppress the Mazdas on 1.53 or 1.54, but I have been under the impression for a while now that there's a correlation between Mazda falses and MRCD on the Uniden platforms.

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Today I was stuck behind the worst Mazda CX-5 BSM emitter I've had. Ever. For 40 minutes. Twisty coastal highway.
It destroyed the Cobra DualPro filtering prowess like a Gatling gun. (a little hype here :p )
I tried the DualPro on Highway, Auto, Auto Low K TSR on and it would always punch through. Like an alert. Would be quiet for 20 - 30 seconds then light up, short latch time, and go out, to return moments later.

Alert came on instantly like a low K source, and ramped up closer I got to mid - 3/4 bars.
Advanced 40% was better but still quite a distance back, less level on the bar graph.
City same deal.

Now the Easter Egg!

So since the R7 seems to be very very good at not falsing at MRCD, and it still alerts normal to my trusty Bushnell and Talon, AND it almost totally mutes Mazda CX-5 BSM then I'm going to run it for a while.
Remember the early days when R7 would confuse an MRCD as K Band, or vise versa??

Video shows me messing around with settings and reboot, trying to deliberately get an alert with MRCD on.
I have 40 minutes of this with both detectors but my lousy Chromebook has stopped letting me view them until after I load to YouTube.

I thought this was important enough to warrant an emergency posting on the road.
Cheers,

FYI I did get 1 tiny beep using MRCD behind the Mazda, but it was extreme try to get it to do it.
Almost 100% effective.
I had hoped it was an older Mazda CX-5, but zooming in at the stop light it's at least a 2017 😔

Sorry that I'm in the polluter category. I am available for BSM filter testing though 🤣

Last edited:

Dolphin

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Interesting that you have mentioned it. Just yesterday I had my R7 MRCD false that I believe was because of a K band automatic door of a store ~100m away (it later switched to a K band warning). That road is almost always congested, with 2 bumpers, so I don't think that they would have put a camera in there.

Just yesterday I had my R7 MRCD false
After checking my dashcam, I think that my false came as an automatic door reflection from a car, entering a roundabout in front of me.
At first R7 detects that door on a K band (a quiet double-beep). And then it goes MRCD as a car just passes by.

Last edited:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Dolphin
I see this quite frequently on the Cobra DP360 and Max 3, excessive MRCD falses in K Band door opener areas, as well as car BSMs.
About 2 or 3 an hour in a lighter city environment.
R7 has been quiet for me, but MRCD time has been limited to some trial periods or trips into Alberta.
Giving it another workout down on the BC coast now.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well this morning another CX-5 that I was following, that makes 3 test subjects in just a few days.
I didn't recognize this one for a while as I had MRCD on, and there was absolutely zero falsing to the Mazda, K @ Advanced 40%.
Really tried by getting right at the rear corner on the double lanes, but nothing.
I twice turned MRCD off/on, and sure enough instant 24.124 when MRCD off.
This video got messed by the 5 minute reset. I thought I got the whole thing but it's two videos, and again I have no editing ability on the road.
So anyways, here's the test.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Great job with the testing! I turned MRCD on a few days ago and haven't had a CX-5 false since, but doing a quick on/off test behind a CX-5 like this is perfect. I gotta find one now too to do a test video. :)

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yahooooo!!!
I'm driving home tomorrow!
850 Kms of dodging RCMP I/O and Dragons!
Back in the game baby!

Great job with the testing! I turned MRCD on a few days ago and haven't had a CX-5 false since, but doing a quick on/off test behind a CX-5 like this is perfect. I gotta find one now too to do a test video. :)
LOL, back home CX-5 is so rare, even more rare to find one to make the R7 or DP360 light up.
Down on the coast it's like coachroaches.
Must have a hell of a Mazda dealer here flogging these things.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is really interesting! Nice discovery @DC Fluid.

I've been testing this for a few days and it does seem like it eliminates Mazda falses. Now the R7 only falses to Acuras, Hondas, GMs, Jeeps, and Chryslers :p

This does seem like something Uniden should be able to incorporate into their standard filtering algorithm. I wonder why MRCD needs to be active for it to work? Perhaps they could also have the MRCD filter running full time even when MRCD is disabled?

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is really interesting! Nice discovery @DC Fluid.

I've been testing this for a few days and it does seem like it eliminates Mazda falses. Now the R7 only falses to Acuras, Hondas, GMs, Jeeps, and Chryslers :p

This does seem like something Uniden should be able to incorporate into their standard filtering algorithm. I wonder why MRCD needs to be active for it to work? Perhaps they could also have the MRCD filter running full time even when MRCD is disabled?
I have noticed in previous tests that K Band reactivity is slower with MRCD on, in combination with K Wide and lower sensitivity levels.
I will have to try it out apples to apples by cycling MRCD on/off with different settings to see if there is any penalty.
Haven't done this MRCD/K reactivity on 133 yet, now I have a reason to.
If memory serves me, if was more detrimental to go as wide as possible on K, plus go to City, for worst reactivity. MRCD may or may not contribute to lag time.

Puikata

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

City same deal.

Now the Easter Egg!

Cheers,

Almost 100% effective.
Great to know that. Thank you!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tonyz3