kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
V1 Gen 2
A Mode
All rear arrow detection
Latest firmware

Turned my V1 gen 2 on in my car prior to heading out and it went to 9 bogies for Ka band with the rear arrow as the only direction. This was in an urban/city area. Turned on v1driver and began logging frequencies. I noticed the frequencies were all over the place, ranging from 34, to 35 to 33 all the span of under a minute stationary and not even on the road yet.

When I started moving, the detection and bogey count stayed at 9 and continued for a 1/4 mile down the road then I took a left and went another 1/4 mile down the road and the detection and bogey count continued then suddenly J'd out?

This is the first time I've experienced something like this, with no visible source and never with my old V1 gen 1. I get that the new gen 2 is super sensitive but to me, had I not had the v1driver app to see frequencies, I'd think my unit was defective. The frequencies are all over the place, and for a bogey count of 9, is it possible that frequency isolation or filtering would be better to just limit the real threat of actual Ka with a +- for drift if that is a thing?

The only thing I can think of was a cell tower perhaps but the closest one was another 5+ miles away?

Is this just the new way of A mode and the added sensitivity with the gen 2 or is this something else?

Stationary upon first startup these were the Ka rear arrow indicating 9 bogey frequencies

While Moving - random fluctuation in the 34/35 frequency
J out

Attachments

• random_urban_ka.jpg
    random_urban_ka.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 24

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is what is known as an SHBC event. It's a bug caused by vehicles equipped with blind spot monitoring (BSM) systems, specifically their FMCW RADAR units. It is likely to happen when encountering multiple vehicles with BSM at the same time.

Valentine Research Inc. are actively working to address this.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
V1 Gen 2
A Mode
All rear arrow detection
Latest firmware

Turned my V1 gen 2 on in my car prior to heading out and it went to 9 bogies for Ka band with the rear arrow as the only direction. This was in an urban/city area. Turned on v1driver and began logging frequencies. I noticed the frequencies were all over the place, ranging from 34, to 35 to 33 all the span of under a minute stationary and not even on the road yet.

When I started moving, the detection and bogey count stayed at 9 and continued for a 1/4 mile down the road then I took a left and went another 1/4 mile down the road and the detection and bogey count continued then suddenly J'd out?

This is the first time I've experienced something like this, with no visible source and never with my old V1 gen 1. I get that the new gen 2 is super sensitive but to me, had I not had the v1driver app to see frequencies, I'd think my unit was defective. The frequencies are all over the place, and for a bogey count of 9, is it possible that frequency isolation or filtering would be better to just limit the real threat of actual Ka with a +- for drift if that is a thing?

The only thing I can think of was a cell tower perhaps but the closest one was another 5+ miles away?

Is this just the new way of A mode and the added sensitivity with the gen 2 or is this something else?

Stationary upon first startup these were the Ka rear arrow indicating 9 bogey frequencies

While Moving - random fluctuation in the 34/35 frequency
J out
This looks like a classic case of a cheap detector causing false Ka alerts. I don't believe this has anything to do with the SHBC issue or BSM (wrong band and the frequencies don't align with such an occurance). Thankfully the alerting to cheap detectors is relatively rare in my experience.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just had two SHBC events on my 4.1023 detector yesterday. Both stemming from NJSP running C/O 34.7. Both times, the bogey counter pegged at 9+ while V1 Driver had trouble keeping up with all of the frequencies being read off.

I don't have any personal experience with past firmwares, but it seems like 4.1023 was a step in the right direction in regards to combating SHBC. I'm sure Valentine is working on it further.

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for sharing your insight! I did find it strange to walk out to my car and plugin my V1 and it went to 9 bogeys the minute it finished it's power startup sequence.

I was stationary, with no cars around me in a rural setting and even when I got out onto the main road I looked around, saw no source, and was looking to see if there was someone with a cobra hanging by one suction cup pointing at the sky, but nothing.

Have to wait and see what Valentine Research releases in an updated firmware.

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@kaotik78, what was the weather like when you started the Gen2?
The temp was 12 degrees Fahrenheit. ** Scratch my first mention of the unit coming out into that temp. This was the one time I forgot to take it out of the car overnight. So it sat out in the cold where temps went to 4-5 degrees Fahrenheit. The unit normally is removed every time and brought inside.

Last edited:

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The temp was 12 degrees Fahrenheit. ** Scratch my first mention of the unit coming out into that temp. This was the one time I forgot to take it out of the car overnight. So it sat out in the cold where temps went to 4-5 degrees Fahrenheit. The unit normally is removed every time and brought inside.
@Bloovy One may have hit the nail there. 4-5 def F is only 8 deg or so from the operating spec. Things do change at the temp extremes. I have had FPGA boards fail at -20, but work at -15 C. This is almost the temps you were seeing. Commercial components are generally only specd to -20C(-4F). It would take it a few minutes to warm up to the operating range.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
It was -20F here and I leave mine in the vehicle at that temp. Mine appeared to work normally.

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It was -20F here and I leave mine in the vehicle at that temp. Mine appeared to work normally.
The different units could be part's variation differences or it might mean nothing at all about temperature. I have never seen any issues with my V1G1, but it has never been below probably 5 F. My V1G2 hasn't been below 22F, LOL.

Your unit supports the issue that the OP had as not being temperature related. Unless he gets repeated activity like he posted, we may never know the real cause for certain. All the possible causes brought up above are just working theories at the moment.....

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I was actually more concerned with the sky weather at that point. Heavy fog has caused my Gen2 to alert incessantly to my own Sat radio tuner in the back deck (even though I don't use Sat radio) during the time I was in that heavy fog that one day.
I've been in heavy fog other days without issue.

I never bring my V1s inside either.

Last edited:

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I was actually more concerned with the sky weather at that point. Heavy fog has caused my Gen2 to alert incessantly to my own Sat radio tuner in the back deck (even though I don't use Sat radio) during the time I was in that heavy fog that one day.

I never bring my V1s inside either.
Interesting.... RF propagation can be really bizarre at times....
One odd phenomenon that many people don't know about is surface wave conduction. Not only do RF waves reflect off of objects, they can attach to a surface and propagate as a surface wave until it hits a discontinuity. Then it can reflect, radiate and/or continue on its way.

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Bloovy One may have hit the nail there. 4-5 def F is only 8 deg or so from the operating spec. Things do change at the temp extremes. I have had FPGA boards fail at -20, but work at -15 C. This is almost the temps you were seeing. Commercial components are generally only specd to -20C(-4F). It would take it a few minutes to warm up to the operating range.
I wish I could have a controlled environment on that day and test it as it was in the cold then again coming from a warm house :)

Heck maybe Mike should put a temp sensor in the new gen 2 and write some accompanying code around that if your not within operating temperatures.

I understand the operating temperatures but on the flip side, my older v1 gen 1 that's been left out winter after winter ( never should have sold it ) never exhibited an issue like this. I know it's a different platform so that comparison isn't the greatest but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wish I could have a controlled environment on that day and test it as it was in the cold then again coming from a warm house :)

Heck maybe Mike should put a temp sensor in the new gen 2 and write some accompanying code around that if your not within operating temperatures.

I understand the operating temperatures but on the flip side, my older v1 gen 1 that's been left out winter after winter ( never should have sold it ) never exhibited an issue like this. I know it's a different platform so that comparison isn't the greatest but I think you get where I'm coming from.
I really doubt you are experiencing an issue related to temperature. Like I said above, I have been running mine consistently in extreme cold (and extreme hot for that matter) and it has not had any issues at all. I know of many others who do the same and they also don't experience any obvious issues from doing so.

While your unit could be having an issue, I strongly suspect there was a cause for the alerts you saw. It's just a matter of figuring out what that cause was.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I really doubt you are experiencing an issue related to temperature. Like I said above, I have been running mine consistently in extreme cold (and extreme hot for that matter) and it has not had any issues at all. I know of many others who do the same and they also don't experience any obvious issues from doing so.

While your unit could be having an issue, I strongly suspect there was a cause for the alerts you saw. It's just a matter of figuring out what that cause was.
I'm one of them! My V1G2 never comes out of whichever car I'm using it in unless I'm moving it to a different car. It never sees 4 degress in NC, but it's seen from 18 to over 100 since last March with no changes due to temps. On earlier firmwares however it went bat$%^t crazy on almost every 34.7 I/O shot I got hit with showing up to 13 bogies! It was much worse from the rear for some reason. Since 4.1021 and 4.1023 however, all of these have stopped and it only shows more than one bogey if I get hit with more than one antenna. It never has alerted right after startup, although all 3 of my Redline-O's on occasion will alert to 35.5 for a few seconds during start up. They've each done this since I've owned them and I've never figured out why. After a few seconds they shut up and all is good!

OldtimeRadar

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Noisy nearby cheap consumer electronics? Something like a GPS antenna, satellite radio. Tried moving the detector or switching off electronics?

Icantdrive55

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I sent mine in for service and they fixed it with a turnaround of only a few days. I had the same problem I would get nine, 10, 11 Ka bogey alerts

Attachments

• 5E6C28B6-A2BC-45A6-8C25-544C4E5C466A.jpeg
    5E6C28B6-A2BC-45A6-8C25-544C4E5C466A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

SpeedyValentine1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Today I, noticed that on my way to work I received a initial mid 34.711 frequency while on the highway front facing Arrow . As i traveled, I caught up to the patrol unit as 1 car moving in the same direction on the feeder road. As i passed him my Arrow went from Front facing to rear showing multiple Ka bogies ranging from 34.696-34.735 there was a total of 5 ka frequecies from this one patrol unit showing behind. I sure hope valentine puts a firmware update to this issue.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado