Official Highway Radar iOS app development thread

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Got the speed and (dummy) speed limit wired up to the live display w/ "current speed colors" (green, yellow, red). Did a bunch of refactoring to clean up the code and make it easier to read and write. Still working on getting the speed limit data parsed. Determining location amongst said speed limit data is also going to be an undertaking.

thanks

for all the fish
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Whenever you are ready to beta, I'm TestFlight ready! Keep up the progress! THank you!

AllspeedJeff

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Took the weekend to install my ALP system, so no progress. Sorry to disappoint!
How did the ALP install go? Got pics?

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
How did the ALP install go? Got pics?
Hey thanks for asking! It's still somewhat in progress. Heads are just double-stick taped on; need to get permanent mounts angled/leveled correctly and attached. I only did the front, so still have to tackle the rear once I have a plate mount. I'm also now getting "GPS antenna disconnected" but I'm hoping that setting everything up once I get the bluetooth module on Saturday will clear this error (as suggested in other threads).

No pics yet. Can share some once it's all "done done."

Chrismx

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Took the weekend to install my ALP system, so no progress. Sorry to disappoint!
I’d say that is significant progress! Congratulations on your ALP, may it bring you many saves. And thank you for the update, even to let us know that means you are still thinking about it and is meaningful. Cheers!

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Good news! The Dacia Sandero Ferius came in clutch with getting the decompression of road data figured out and I was able to get the rest of the type conversion stuff done. Need to do some validation, but the next big step is getting an algorithm in place to accurately determine user location within said road data. Still on the horizon: aircraft data.

TL;DR: Now have usable, accurate road data that includes speed limit. Next step is figure out where you're at on that "map" of data.

I’d say that is significant progress! Congratulations on your ALP, may it bring you many saves. And thank you for the update, even to let us know that means you are still thinking about it and is meaningful. Cheers!
Thanks! Gotta get the heads leveled up and still have yet to install the rears. Have a bluetooth unit coming to make updating and settings easier as well as an LED to mount in the gauge cluster. Still some work to do yet but the hard part is done.

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just had to point out how much this made me laugh. One of the best things I’ve seen here.

I bet you're correct. :cool:
Haha, I appreciate that! I wrote "Good news" and obviously that line was the first thing to come out of my brain. Glad some you got a chuckle out of it; I thought it might go unnoticed.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
1616301067982.png

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Latest update is a boring one. I'm still working on getting the road snapping working in order to appropriately display speed limits and alerts. So far the app is understanding what surrounding map sections to pull and is then pulling, processing, and organizing said data (as well as, importantly, discarding info that's no longer needed). I've started working on the logic to determine what road the user is on, but it's been somewhat slow-going as this part of the work is a bit tedious and as I'm getting closer to a product launch at work I'm slowing down on the HR front.

The work is still continuous and I'm refusing to let it stagnate, so no need to be concerned that this is going to just slip off into the ether and never get completed. I just know that it would be nice if I could share something visual to say "hey look at this screen shot/video of my progress" rather than "uh, I wrote a couple hundred lines of code that don't make a visual difference." I've also spent a number of hours just reading about the best ways to go about some of this stuff on iOS, as well as even more time yet refactoring (re-organizing) the code to make it more sustainable for adding code in the future. It's slowly moving from a prototype-y state to a productionized state. All of that sort of thing takes hours of work but doesn't contribute to functionality development.

I appreciate everyone's patience! Just as a reminder (for myself as much as for you), I'm trying to keep early July as a soft target date for completion of basic functionality.

Chrismx

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I know just enough about what your up against to understand the challenge; not nearly enough to even begin to tackle it so once again, mad props to you. Just curious if it would help in any way to limit the scope to major highways and ignore minor surface streets etc with version 1? An Apple Maps methodology if you will. Get the big stuff first and worry about the fine points later? I don’t know if that would help but for what it’s worth, personall, I don’t care as much about speed limits in stop and go traffic and I also have redundant sources for that information already. Just thinking out loud, maybe it makes no difference either way but thought I’d at least put that out there. And also, again, VERY much appreciate your efforts and consistent communications, I owe you limitless patience in return at the very least. Thank you!

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for these updates! It sounds like you are building this for the long haul. Do it right, or else why even bother, right? Very much looking forward to more updates and then that first real live test.

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I know just enough about what your up against to understand the challenge; not nearly enough to even begin to tackle it so once again, mad props to you. Just curious if it would help in any way to limit the scope to major highways and ignore minor surface streets etc with version 1? An Apple Maps methodology if you will. Get the big stuff first and worry about the fine points later? I don’t know if that would help but for what it’s worth, personall, I don’t care as much about speed limits in stop and go traffic and I also have redundant sources for that information already. Just thinking out loud, maybe it makes no difference either way but thought I’d at least put that out there. And also, again, VERY much appreciate your efforts and consistent communications, I owe you limitless patience in return at the very least. Thank you!
Not a bad thought, but that would likely actually make it more difficult/time-consuming to build. The easiest, most generic thing to do is just build a solution that works for every road regardless of what it is. Basically, it's "grab the closest roads, then determine which one I'm on." Filtering down the number of "close roads" doesn't actually help me as a developer because the algorithm doesn't care how many roads it's inspecting; I still have to write the same algorithm whether it's looking at 2 roads or 200.

Hopefully that makes sense. Appreciate the input though! I've considered moving onto aircraft alerts to get more functionality in place quicker, but I think the reality is that 1. I still need this road snapping ability in order to warn about alerts correctly/accurately, and 2. it seems pointless/irresponsible to release an app like this that doesn't include speed limit warnings. I hear you on having other sources for that, but ideally this one app will take care of all of the necessary data regarding alerts and then if you want another app for nav then so be it. I do realize that almost every nav app does speed limits now - we're not always using nav, though.

I think I've pared it down to the bare minimum in terms of functionality/feature set. It'll likely go into beta before everything is done, certainly before everything is polished (e.g. there will be a settings page that probably won't have any settings).

Chrismx

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yep, that’s why I’m not a programmer. but yes, makes perfect sense as you’ve explained it. Thanks for the detail!

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Weekend Update (but not the SNL kind): logic to collate "current road" candidates complete, along with some basic "point to line" math to determine the closest road of the candidates. Need to add a bit more logic to be more exacting on choosing the correct road. Also managed to introduce a bug that's preventing all of the async components from talking to one another (I think). Will require a bit of a debugging but that's for another day because it's late and I've been going at it for a few hours now.

Otherwise, the current speed limit is now piped through to the UI (and will hopefully be accurate once the above-mentioned current road precision is implemented). Current speed is very straightforward and already implemented, though will have to wait for real-world testing to make sure it's working as-expected.

Did a long test of ferius' HR app (alongside Waze) over the weekend and have some UI improvements in mind now. Looking forward to getting those implemented since they make the progress visible.

Also, I was reminded on that test trip how valuable crowdsourced data + a good radar detector are! There was lots of LEO presence on my route and I still managed to make fantastic time. A number of Waze warnings followed by radar, but one Waze alert didn't pop up until after my detector went off. Detector also got me a very good save from a LEO approaching in the oncoming lane running Ka.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49