Official Highway Radar iOS app development thread

JohnBoy

Wabbit Hunter
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Have you considered writing the code in IONIC? From what I understand, you write the code once, then IONIC compiles the code for both Android and iOS at the same time.

Sorry if this has already been brought up.

Chrismx

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
OMG, just heard about this effort. THANK YOU, as a fully embedded iOS/Mac user this is excellent news, now shut up and take my money! Seriously, I would pay any reasonable amount for this app and would love to donate to the effort if there is such a place. Forgive me if it exists and was previously mentioned, too excited to read every post!!!

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Ok, I'm back up and running. New macOS, new Xcode, and have the app running on my phone "for real." As mentioned before, speed limits are my next undertaking. [email protected] has provided me with some great information as well as access to his/her (feel free to correct) aggregated speed limit data, which I'll gratefully be using for at least the first iteration.
Have you considered writing the code in IONIC? From what I understand, you write the code once, then IONIC compiles the code for both Android and iOS at the same time.

Sorry if this has already been brought up.
I have not. ferius' Android app is already written for native Android and is very far along in development, so there's no need to write a unified app from the ground up here. Further, with ionic you lose speed, security, and access to the native components that make iOS so good. React Native would be a better choice, in my opinion, but I still prefer native development.
OMG, just heard about this effort. THANK YOU, as a fully embedded iOS/Mac user this is excellent news, now shut up and take my money! Seriously, I would pay any reasonable amount for this app and would love to donate to the effort if there is such a place. Forgive me if it exists and was previously mentioned, too excited to read every post!!!
I really appreciate the support and vote of confidence! I have not created or posted about any means of supporting my effort, though my wife would probably appreciate if I did so, haha. Not even sure what the best avenue would be; maybe Patreon? PayPal? Kickstarter would protect those giving, I believe, and would return all contributions if I don't deliver.

For the record, [email protected] is providing support and access to data for this and has provided his Android app free of charge, so please consider contributing to him here.

Chrismx

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
my vote FWIW is for PayPal OR Kickstarter. just made a contribution to @ferius via PayPal, so thank you for the referral, happy to help this along any way I can. My biggest blind spot as of now is with aircraft, which are used relatively frequently here in WA and OR as far as I know, so that is my greatest excitement is if that feature becomes available.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
my vote FWIW is for PayPal OR Kickstarter. just made a contribution to @ferius via PayPal, so thank you for the referral, happy to help this along any way I can. My biggest blind spot as of now is with aircraft, which are used relatively frequently here in WA and OR as far as I know, so that is my greatest excitement is if that feature becomes available.
Oregon stopped using aircraft long ago. Washington, not so much! You can use Flight Aware/Flight Radar 24 to help with that.

Chrismx

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
oh! good to know, I thought I saw something recently - or a sign posted out on a road somewhere - that aircraft enforcement was in use. perhaps I confused or confounded that with another. Thanks! (never the less, I do drive a fair bit in WA....)

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Have had to spend some time digging more into ferius' speed limit implementation. Have not written any code to show for it, but I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do to make it happen. Will likely take a few weeks. I've also spent some time skiing and working on the car, as I've gotten a bit frustrated staring at computer screens so much (as it's also my day job). Even so, progress continues.

As @2018GTI mentioned, FlightAware is a good one for this in the meantime. For the record, yes, WA does use aircraft for speed enforcement. A few of us in a group headed to the starting line of a rally got popped last summer by aircraft on I-90 headed west across central WA. They also patrol the I-5 Seattle-to-Olympia corridor fairly regularly.

Chrismx

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Have had to spend some time digging more into ferius' speed limit implementation. Have not written any code to show for it, but I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do to make it happen. Will likely take a few weeks. I've also spent some time skiing and working on the car, as I've gotten a bit frustrated staring at computer screens so much (as it's also my day job). Even so, progress continues.

As @2018GTI mentioned, FlightAware is a good one for this in the meantime. For the record, yes, WA does use aircraft for speed enforcement. A few of us in a group headed to the starting line of a rally got popped last summer by aircraft on I-90 headed west across central WA. They also patrol the I-5 Seattle-to-Olympia corridor fairly regularly.
I feel you, coming from a similar background (alas however, a programmer I am not, so mad respect). One must have sanity breaks.

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Quick update since it's been almost a week: I'm still working on decompression and object conversion of road graph/speed limit data via ferius' API (aka getting speed limit data from ferius' server and converting it into usable info). It's coming along, although progress has been somewhat slow. If this gets held up too much longer I may implement a basic-yet-data-hungry implementation just to get speed limits working and come back to this a bit later on.

Once I'm able to get the speed limit data into a usable format, I'll need to concoct an algorithm to determine the correct position and associated speed limit, then wire it up to the display. On the horizon after that is aircraft data.

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes thanks for the updates! It all comes down to personality - perfection vs completion, craftsmanship drive, all that stuff. Do it your way, whatever that way is.

scoobylovesjazz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@JaySC This is awesome! Thank you for putting in the effort to try and bring this to fruition. Being an IOS user I have serious FOMO when it comes to Highway Radar.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@JaySC This is awesome! Thank you for putting in the effort to try and bring this to fruition. Being an IOS user I have serious FOMO when it comes to Highway Radar.

If you have a real need to resolve your FOMO you can always get a standalone Android device. Many iOS users (myself included) have gone this route in order to run Highway Radar or JBV1. ;)

scoobylovesjazz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If you have a real need to resolve your FOMO you can always get a standalone Android device. Many iOS users (myself included) have gone this route in order to run Highway Radar or JBV1. ;)
The FOMO isn't quite that bad yet (though the nerd in me is always up for more toys). I will probably play around with OpenADSB to tide myself over while I stalk this thread. (I have been trying to work in flight aware as a tool for general situational awareness when I am flying drones, so it will be interesting to see how OpenADSB compares.)

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yep, this is what I'm doing currently, haha.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikelonghair