Poor range detection with V1 gen 2

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I just got back from a lengthy road trip and took along my new V1 Gen 2 operating in A mode with v1 driver.

I've had a few Ka hits and have noticed that the alert range is less than my Gen 1 with two instances of me seeing the radar source before the V1 alerted. Both alerts were 1 bar and abrupt with no ramp up. I added the map from v1 driver in each image to try to help show what I'm experiencing.

The first instance was on a stretch of highway with moving radar heading west on one side of the highway coming around a corner and me heading east on the other. I could see the source a split second before the V1 Gen 2 alerted and the strength meter was only at one and never ramped up at all. I'm thinking a few hundred feet really between my vehicle and the source.

First forward alert with v1 driver was
Strength 1.3, 2.7, 4.0
Then switched to rear alert strength of 1.3 and then one more at 1.3 and that was it.

v1gen2_1.jpg

The second encounter below I had gave me pause cause again as I saw the source before the alert even around a corner, and still only one bar. 35.784 with a strength of 1.3.

v1gen2_2.jpg

Another enounter is a hit of 35.486 with a strength of 1.3 for a bit then nothing for a mile or so then 35.482, then 35.468 then 33.652 then 35.468 then 33.652. The source was stationary and marked below on the map. I've never used an app before but to me I'd think the Ka band frequency would stay the same?

v1gen2_3.jpg

My Gen 1 in A mode would alert to Ka and ramp up accordingly ( granted I never used an app with it to see frequency ) but the distance between alert and source is leaving much to be desired for me. Am I misinterpreting something here or is there some setting I've yet to update on this? I'm at the latest firmware for it as well.

Made for a interesting and entertaining Wed afternoon that's for sure :)

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You've been around here way longer than me so I'm assuming you've verified that your firmware is the December release. That update fixed the Ka ramp problem. It sounds like you were IO'd but I'd expect a much stronger signal unless he accidentally hit his rear antenna. Sounds like some testing is in order. Were you running any other RDs at the time?

There was something else going on in the last encounter where the frequency was all over the place. I expect there were two different sources on that one.

G2 is top notch on Ka and you should see this fairly quickly in usage. The curves and foliage are a factor but you should notice an obvious increase in alert distance on average. I know that's subjective but as a long time user your experience gives you that relative sense over a series of encounters.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I can't comment on those situations, but I can say I've had 4 and 5 km slightly off axis alerts in less than ideal conditions.
Last night I had a 1.4 km alert from stationary 34.7 at a common cop hunting ground. That was 300 metres more than the best my Gen 1's did.
Give it time, get a few more contacts before you can judge if it's not performing.

AllspeedJeff

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just got back from a lengthy road trip and took along my new V1 Gen 2 operating in A mode with v1 driver.

I've had a few Ka hits and have noticed that the alert range is less than my Gen 1 with two instances of me seeing the radar source before the V1 alerted. Both alerts were 1 bar and abrupt with no ramp up. I added the map from v1 driver in each image to try to help show what I'm experiencing.

The first instance was on a stretch of highway with moving radar heading west on one side of the highway coming around a corner and me heading east on the other. I could see the source a split second before the V1 Gen 2 alerted and the strength meter was only at one and never ramped up at all. I'm thinking a few hundred feet really between my vehicle and the source.

Strength 1.3, 2.7, 4.0
Then switched to rear alert strength of 1.3 and then one more at 1.3 and that was it.

View attachment 171775

The second encounter below I had gave me pause cause again as I saw the source before the alert even around a corner, and still only one bar. 35.784 with a strength of 1.3.

View attachment 171776

Another enounter is a hit of 35.486 with a strength of 1.3 for a bit then nothing for a mile or so then 35.482, then 35.468 then 33.652 then 35.468 then 33.652. The source was stationary and marked below on the map. I've never used an app before but to me I'd think the Ka band frequency would stay the same?

View attachment 171777

My Gen 1 in A mode would alert to Ka and ramp up accordingly ( granted I never used an app with it to see frequency ) but the distance between alert and source is leaving much to be desired for me. Am I misinterpreting something here or is there some setting I've yet to update on this? I'm at the latest firmware for it as well.

My first question would be, what's your current firmware version? Secondly, where do you mount your radar detector? Is your windshield tinted and at what time of day did this occur?

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You've been around here way longer than me so I'm assuming you've verified that your firmware is the December release. That update fixed the Ka ramp problem. It sounds like you were IO'd but I'd expect a much stronger signal unless he accidentally hit his rear antenna. Sounds like some testing is in order. Were you running any other RDs at the time?

There was something else going on in the last encounter where the frequency was all over the place. I expect there were two different sources on that one.

G2 is top notch on Ka and you should see this fairly quickly in usage. The curves and foliage are a factor but you should notice an obvious increase in alert distance on average. I know that's subjective but as a long time user your experience gives you that relative sense over a series of encounters.

I'm on firmware 4.1023 on the gen 2. If I was IO'd wouldn't the gen 2 have gone full bars rather than stay at one?

Every time I was IO'd with my gen 1, that was the outcome, it would beep possibly once then go full chat instantly. Every other CO Ka encounter on my gen 1 was usually 2-3 dots then ramp. With the gen2 it's 1 or 2 and hardly any ramp up, even when I'm pretty much on top of the source.

The last encounter after seeing the frequency and your suggestion that there was two different sources makes sense, cause the range was just way too good to be true. I wish it was but I highly doubt it.

I'm going to have to keep an eye on this for now, and yes it's pretty subjective I completely agree, showing topographical maps and photoshopped dots and arrows to try to show what is being experienced. Still, these few encounters I have had, have shown me that the Ka range isn't quite where it should be, not when compared to my gen 1. Other than the last encounter which was a straight line I had time to react if needed, the rest if one was to be above and beyond the PSL, would be done for given the little to no warning.

** Side note, I do wish and I know this is purely for geek purposes, that v1 driver would allow for exporting of data for frequency of radar, date of encounter, time etc. It'd be even better if a "layer" could be added on the map to show each encounter from the start of first warning, arrow direction/changeover and last warning.

Last edited:

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
With current firmware it should go full tilt quickly if you're being painted. I think there are some test videos of this posted on the forum. Of course I should qualify that by saying Ka band. K still needs some work.

Crazy long range and off-axis Ka detections seem to be the norm in this crowd. I've picked them up more than a mile away blasting at 90 degrees from my direction of travel. And that was in AL with plenty foliage around. In Houston 3.5-4 mile 35.5 and 34.7 detections are routine. I've seen 2 mile detections with the little bit of 33.8 I encounter.

Your G2 is the real deal but I'd certainly want to verify it. Do you have access to any Ka guns? Are there any Ka signs or Bear Dens where they like to leave their Ka radars turned on nearby?

biolink

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've had a few encounters like this with K. I come upon a LEO with radar emitting from his car and alert is really faint. I have verified my Gen 2 is functioning just fine using a radar gun so I look back on my close calls and wonder of the LEO was using rear antenna at the time, or maybe a hand held gun was on but pointed down. I don't know. Your Ka concerns are worth investigating and verifying because as others have said Gem 2 pick up of Ka is stellar. I had a 6.5 mile confirmed pick up this week. Not all of mine have been that length but I do consistently pick up Ka easily. More so than my Gen 1.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
https://www.rdforum.org/threads/103921/ This is from several months ago, its K band, different mode, but what is similar is V1 driver. Perhaps try run it independently of V1driver and see if you notice a difference.

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
With current firmware it should go full tilt quickly if you're being painted. I think there are some test videos of this posted on the forum. Of course I should qualify that by saying Ka band. K still needs some work.

Crazy long range and off-axis Ka detections seem to be the norm in this crowd. I've picked them up more than a mile away blasting at 90 degrees from my direction of travel. And that was in AL with plenty foliage around. In Houston 3.5-4 mile 35.5 and 34.7 detections are routine. I've seen 2 mile detections with the little bit of 33.8 I encounter.

Your G2 is the real deal but I'd certainly want to verify it. Do you have access to any Ka guns? Are there any Ka signs or Bear Dens where they like to leave their Ka radars turned on nearby?
I don't have access to any Ka guns but now that you mention it, though if I could, I'd pick one up off of eBay, someday maybe. For now I'll have to keep an eye out for some known speed traps in my area, it's tough though as it's so random.

I'm in the northeast so the terrain is hilly/curvy which may account for reduced range but what I'm experiencing is not what I was expecting.

I agree as well, that K needs work. Just have to keep on driving and being cautious till I can verify it more. It's not gotten my confidence at all yet, but time will tell.
Post automatically merged:

https://www.rdforum.org/threads/103921/ This is from several months ago, its K band, different mode, but what is similar is V1 driver. Perhaps try run it independently of V1driver and see if you notice a difference.
Are you referring to running the gen2 in little L mode along with v1 driver or did I miss something else in that thread?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Are you referring to running the gen2 in little L mode along with v1 driver or did I miss something else in that thread?
Running it without V1 driver.

SwankPeRFection

Banned
Banned User
Corgi Lovers
Reaction score
I haven’t read the other comments, but if you’ve verified the G2 you have doesn’t have an issue with full on proper Ka hits and you’re on the latest firmware, then it’s possible you got hit with like extremely low power (if that’s even a thing) I/O Ka.

Also, since you’re the guy who asked about powering off the G2 before unplugging it and you’ve got one car hardwired and the other no, what’s your power source in each? The G2 is finicky when it comes to power and when it first got released a few people had issues with G1 hardwire kits not supplying enough juice and other using non V1 power cords and that was the cause of many falses or weak signal detection. There was even a notice put out by VR about it. I think Bloovy stickied it in the forum, but I’m too lazy to go find it for you. Consider that angle...

Last edited:

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I haven’t read the other comments, but if you’ve verified the G2 you have doesn’t have an issue with full on proper Ka hits and you’re on the latest firmware, then it’s possible you got hit with like extremely low power (if that’s even a thing) I/O Ka.

Also, since you’re the guy who asked about powering off the G2 before unplugging it and you’ve got one car hardwired and the other no, what’s your power source in each? The G2 is finicky when it comes to power and when it first got released a few people had issues with G1 hardwire kits not supplying enough juice and other using non V1 power cords and that was the cause of many falses or weak signal detection. There was even a notice put out by VR about it. I think Bloovy stickied it in the forum, but I’m too lazy to go find it for you. Consider that angle...
I did not know about that, 12v would be 12v one would think. In this case I was using the supplied 12v adapter provided by Valentine Reaearch and not their hardwire kit.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Since the last two updates, my V1G2 is an all out beast against 34.7 and 35.5! It laughs at even extreme off axis I/O alerts both front and rear that even my R1's and Redline-O's can't see. My hot 3.872 V1G1 wasn't in the same world either, as both the R1 and Redline-O are better! On K band however, it definitely needs work, as we all know. Hills and curves are where the V1G2 really flexes it's muscles against Ka band and shows what it's made of so if your V1G1 is anywhere near as good I'd call VR and find out what's up with it!

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Strength 1.3, 2.7, 4.0

View attachment 171775

View attachment 171776

View attachment 171777

All of these sound like Ka falses to me. There is no way you would only get a weak 1 bar Ka alert if you were that close to the actual radar source. The frequencies I highlighted in red are very clearly falses, and if the 35.4xx signal you were seeing never ramped up I'm guessing that was a false as well.

What vehicle are you running the detector in? Does it have satellite radio or WiFi? Do you have a dash cam? I'm just trying to figure out why you're seeing so many Ka falses. I saw some on earlier firmware versions, but very few since the latest update.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
All of these sound like Ka falses to me. There is no way you would only get a weak 1 bar Ka alert if you were that close to the actual radar source. The frequencies I highlighted in red are very clearly falses, and if the 35.4xx signal you were seeing never ramped up I'm guessing that was a false as well.

What vehicle are you running the detector in? Does it have satellite radio or WiFi? Do you have a dash cam? I'm just trying to figure out why you're seeing so many Ka falses. I saw some on earlier firmware versions, but very few since the latest update.
I honestly see quite a few falses in these frequency areas and I'm on 4.1023. @ARkaband and myself have had discussions about the Ka falses we see and one common frequency is 35.7xx. It's one of the reasons I moved to using custom frequencies. I still get a number of 34.7xx falses (that I am certain are falses) and 33.7xxx falses. I probably see at least one Ka false every other time I drive. I also run V1Driver, so that's a common point with the OP. But in my experience, the V1G2 falses on Ka more than any of my other detectors. I wouldn't say it's egregiously noisy on Ka or anything, but it happens and it's not uncommon.

@kaotik78 if you're ever in the northeastern MA area and want to run some testing against a Ka or K band gun, I'd be happy to help you out.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I did not know about that, 12v would be 12v one would think. In this case I was using the supplied 12v adapter provided by Valentine Reaearch and not their hardwire kit.

Inaccurate concern. :)
The Gen2 will operate the same from 6V to 35V. :)

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
In my experience with both the uniden R1 and the G2, off-axis around curves against 35.5 may produce some short-range alerts. ka 35.5 is what I encounter most of the time, and I usually encounter it off-axis or with visual barriers and road clutter (trees close to road). Out on the open straight road, you should get super- long range; but around curves not so. Here is a vid I posted months back. This is oncoming 35.5 with trees close to the road and around a curve. This range is typical for these types of encounters. My R1 would not have done any better and may have done a little worse.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado