Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Ranger is under development by a private group of investors, of which I am associated. When it's ready for launch, there will be a splashy announcement. Until then, this really is all the information that can be shared. :)

I'd like to be the first to welcome you to the "vendor life" on rdforum.

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 3.14.07 PM.png

@PY004 @RaggedEdge or other mods, can we get our friend a Vendor tag since he's admitted he is financially involved here? I'm certain he wouldn't be breaking the rules trolling, so I'll take him at his word that he's associated with with bringing a new countermeasures product to market - in which case it's clearly a violation of rdforum rules for him not to have a vendor tag.

Fireball

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'd like to be the first to welcome you to the "vendor life" on rdforum.

View attachment 171919

@PY004 @RaggedEdge or other mods, can we get our friend a Vendor tag since he's admitted he is financially involved here? I'm certain he wouldn't be breaking the rules trolling, so I'll take him at his word that he's associated with with bringing a new countermeasures product to market - in which case it's clearly a violation of rdforum rules for him not to have a vendor tag.
Now now, let's assume here that MASI didn't know about the requirement, or realize that he met the definition since it's an "under development" thing and not an actual product being sold. Benefit of a doubt, and all that.

And, if this is a new thing being developed, perhaps MASI's people might consider a licensing thing instead of or along with a hard product, much like ALP does. I'd love to see an all-in-one display that can tell me when the cops are near, and when they're actively lighting people up. I'll still want radar and laser, because presumably the cops won't be putting locator gear on unmanned installations since dispatch doesn't need to know the nearest cop-in-a-box for a callout.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Now now, let's assume here that MASI didn't know about the requirement, or realize that he met the definition since it's an "under development" thing and not an actual product being sold. Benefit of a doubt, and all that.

And, if this is a new thing being developed, perhaps MASI's people might consider a licensing thing instead of or along with a hard product, much like ALP does. I'd love to see an all-in-one display that can tell me when the cops are near, and when they're actively lighting people up. I'll still want radar and laser, because presumably the cops won't be putting locator gear on unmanned installations since dispatch doesn't need to know the nearest cop-in-a-box for a callout.

For sure! Just trying to be helpful and help him get a vendor tag before someone slaps him for breaking the rules. Because I don't think he would be lying to forum members about a product that doesn't exist to make a point about vaporware, shilling it in the wrong subforum, and generally trolling. Nah, that wouldn't be like him.

analyzerman

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
For sure! Just trying to be helpful and help him get a vendor tag before someone slaps him for breaking the rules. Because I don't think he would be lying to forum members about a product that doesn't exist to make a point about vaporware, shilling it in the wrong subforum, and generally trolling. Nah, that wouldn't be like him.
giphy.com-media-xT8qB7Sbwskk27Rdy8-200.gif

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score

Electro

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was hoping Target BLU-EYE would come out with a compatible unit that would work on P25 systems. :-(

odiddy

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hello everybody! While I very patiently await Theia, I have a few questions.

ive heard @Jon at Radenso and @Randy at Radenso mention that Theia may only be a radar detector now, but it’s tech has the ability to have features added to it down the road.

can I get a succinct list of these possible future features? I know it would only be a guess, basically I just want to know if I can dump my girlfriend and use Theia on those lonely nights or if my hopes are too high.

what possible future features are the tech capable of? Of course, no guarantee they will ever actually happen, just wondering what’s possible.

thanks!
Parking sensors!

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ranger is not a RD. It does not look for radar or laser speed detection signals. Rather, it takes a completely different approach.

Public safety communications systems are no longer dumb 2 way "radios". They are sophisticated voice and data systems.

Many large LE departments have radios that transmit GPS data over the air (OTA) to inform the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) systems of the closest car to the call. Motorola is a classic example. The dispatcher enters the address of the call and the closest car is identified by the CAD based upon the GPS data automatically reported by the car radio via the public safety digital radio (P25) network. This is not new technology.

Grab the right data off the P25 network, and you know where each and every car is. That is what CAD systems do. Now, compare that data to your location ..........and you now have what is essentially a Proximity Alert Warning System (PAWS).

The Ranger will take your location and compare it to the GPS data it receives OTA. Obviously, the Ranger will need to "look" at VHF, UHF, and 800 Mhz systems, just like a common scanner. But it will not decode voice. Rather it will just grab P25 GPS location data and feed the data to a comparator, which will have your location. If it receives data on a LE location that approximates yours, it will alert.

So, Ranger is not a radar or laser detector. Its completely different. The benefits are no BSMs, no K band false alert door opener junk, no I/O, no Q/T, and no "off axis" issues. :)
This sounds very interesting, can you start a seperate thread so we keep all the content and development in one place?

Last edited:

kj1111

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
Now if Ranger data could be fed to a commonly used product like Waze and pop up little Ranger styled police icons on the map....wouldn’t that be awesome! Maybe it even could be programmed to look at your travel path and give distance readouts to the LEO’s location.
Post automatically merged:

Maybe it’s too much to hope for but wouldn’t it be nice to see the countermeasures game finally turn over in our favor. If Ranger becomes a working tecnology along with Theia and proven Laser Jammers this would tip the scales in our favor. It would just be very expensive to have all these technologies working. Imagine knowing if there is a LEO coming into range from behind before he has a chance clock you? All these emerging technologies in combination together would be a game changer.
Post automatically merged:

And while we are dreaming here, why not dream of an app that would take all three modes of detection and countermeasures and display on a map/screen the position of LEO’s (unmarked cars and marked cars), detected radar data, and laser info?

Last edited:

Sambeaux

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ranger is under development by a private group of investors, of which I am associated. When it's ready for launch, there will be a splashy announcement. Until then, this really is all the information that can be shared. :)
Please make a Video series and rent a booth a SEMA to get us all hot and bothered!!! Also don't overthink the target release date just throw something out there. If you have an excuse we'll defend you because we believe in you.

dn0t

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The FPGA could definitely be programmed to mine. It would be faster than a CPU and slower than a GPU most likely. But it would likely not have enough room on the FPGA to mine and do DSP for radar at the same time.
What is the API going to look like?

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Will the Linux portion be open so 3rd party apps can be loaded onto Theia itself and have access to the display and controls? Or is it just strictly an API that will be open that will need to be accessed from another device?

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Will the Linux portion be open so 3rd party apps can be loaded onto Theia itself and have access to the display and controls? Or is it just strictly an API that will be open that will need to be accessed from another device?
I heard that one of the features will be to use the AI to pick lottery numbers. I can't wait!

dn0t

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Whoa - you can load your own distro on this thing?

If I can run Tensorflow *on device*, a whole lot of possibilities get opened up. Correlating RD signals against manual reports at scale could produce the first truly self-reinforcing countermeasures model.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AvoidanceInGA