GTI 2 head(1 RX, 1 TX) vs 3 head(RX)

MassGTI

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello! I’ve had a few questions about the AL priority install on an MK7 Golf(GTI).
I’m considering purchasing one that has 2 RX heads, and I’m wondering if it’s worth adding a TX over a third RX...if I understand correctly, both will work for DE? What are the performance differences between 3 RX and 2 RX 1 TX? I live in Massachusetts.

the other question is, if I don’t end up picking up this car, would a front 1 TX/1 RX setup centered provide adequate protection for a period of time since it’s such a small car? Probably RX mounted in lower grille with TX mounted up by VW emblem. I’m just looking for a way to get my system up and running without breaking the bank, if I don’t end up in the car with the system already.

also, is there anything to know when checking out a used AL priority system installed in a car? It has the Hifi remote so it must be fairly new? Are there different generation heads I should be aware of?

Also, somewhat related, I know it’s not the radar forum but it connects to the ALP, please let me know if this is against the rules...but if you had to choose between purchasing an R3, V1G1, or the NetRadar, what would you choose? Am I sacrificing anything by going with the NetRadar? What about compared to an R7 or a V1G2? I assume ultimate protection would be ALP with V1G2?

Thanks for the assistance! I can’t wait to be fully covered. I’ve been dreaming of an AL system forever.

Last edited:

Mr carbon

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hello if was me I use two regular heads and 1 TX head mounted in the VW badge sum nice installed of mk 7 golfs here take a look
do the whole install right the 1st time instead of trying to add on bits down the road cost possibly in the mean time if could cost you with a possibly punch true

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Since you have a smaller front end, the three RX would probably work well for you. The difference is how the system handles dragoneye. When you have three RX and the system is hit with most Dragoneye the center head does all the receiving, the outer heads do the transmitting, when you have the two RX and one TX setup against dragoneye the outer RX heads both receive and the TX transmits. On a larger car having two heads receiving means it covers better, but on something smaller having just a center RX head listening as in the three RX setup should still cover pretty well. I run a Triple RX on a honda odyssey and the De coverage is pretty solid. Now the above only applies to Dragoneye, against all other guns the RX heads all receive and fire. a dual RX will be solid against everything other than Dragoneye, which in MA isn't common, but has been seen in the boston area before. You can always start with 2 RX heads and then add an RX or TX head down the road if breaking up the expense helps, the two RX will get you very solid coverage against most stuff.

@NorEaster18 has a similar setup so he may have some specific testing results that would apply and he's also from the MA area too.

As far as Radar, if you go netradar, you will want the ALP bluetooth module for frequency information. Performance wise Netradar DSP is essentially the same as the R3 (or if you have front and rear Netradar DSP heads then it's basically the R7) THe V1G1 is a classic, though false K band alerts will be a little bit more prevalent and the range isn't as good. The R3 is a solid performer, if you can be ok without arrows then It's a solid choice, the R7 is also a good unit if price is more important and you want arrows, it's probably the cheapest arrows based detector and the filtering is decent.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Since you have a smaller front end, the three RX would probably work well for you. The difference is how the system handles dragoneye. When you have three RX and the system is hit with most Dragoneye the center head does all the receiving, the outer heads do the transmitting, when you have the two RX and one TX setup against dragoneye the outer RX heads both receive and the TX transmits. On a larger car having two heads receiving means it covers better, but on something smaller having just a center RX head listening as in the three RX setup should still cover pretty well. I run a Triple RX on a honda odyssey and the De coverage is pretty solid. Now the above only applies to Dragoneye, against all other guns the RX heads all receive and fire. a dual RX will be solid against everything other than Dragoneye, which in MA isn't common, but has been seen in the boston area before. You can always start with 2 RX heads and then add an RX or TX head down the road if breaking up the expense helps, the two RX will get you very solid coverage against most stuff.

@NorEaster18 has a similar setup so he may have some specific testing results that would apply and he's also from the MA area too.

As far as Radar, if you go netradar, you will want the ALP bluetooth module for frequency information. Performance wise Netradar DSP is essentially the same as the R3 (or if you have front and rear Netradar DSP heads then it's basically the R7) THe V1G1 is a classic, though false K band alerts will be a little bit more prevalent and the range isn't as good. The R3 is a solid performer, if you can be ok without arrows then It's a solid choice, the R7 is also a good unit if price is more important and you want arrows, it's probably the cheapest arrows based detector and the filtering is decent.
VERY WELL STATED @thebravo

One of yhe best summations i have read !! 😎😎

Kudos :slick:

Just ONE itty bitty correction
The Net Radar DSP Front and Rear are like the R3 Front and R3 Back. The R7 being a much newer tech actually takes the Range, but not by much.

I own/use/test ---
NR DSP Front /Rear on DD Jeep
AND
the R7 on BOTH WW and DD for a change on Trips.

Benzr

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Glad to hear from you again @MassGTI and excited to hear that you're finally ready for an ALP!

I have attached a recent picture of my install below. I recently upgraded to a Triple Rx configuration on the front of my wagon. I honestly did it for an easier install, as the center head is too low for a Tx placement and I wanted to avoid drilling the grille/emblem area. Other members have done 2 Rx / 1 Tx on the front of Volkswagens that can maybe share some pictures (@Tb12 @Jdem @Smason). Even 2 Rx would be mostly sufficient for our area, but it's pretty useless against modern DE guns.

The only municipalities that I have confirmed use DE are Boston PD and Sturbridge PD, although there have been rare and unconfirmed reports of it in other parts of the state. I have searched purchasing contracts and haven't found anything else yet. Most likely, you'll encounter Truspeed S or an Ultralyte variant, however pretty much every other gun exists out in the wild here with at least one municipality. I have yet to test my new setup against DE guns, but it has handled my Truspeed S and Prolaser 3 perfectly so far. I am hopeful it handles DE to some degree, but only testing will confirm.

When checking out the system, take a look at the color of the CPU if you can. Black means it's a newer HW4, which you ideally want. The lighter grey HW1 and some HW2 are no longer supported, so while they work well now, they will not be receiving updates in the future. I recommend the HiFi and don't necessarily feel Bluetooth is necessary, but it will be if you want to run a NetRadar (see below).

As for radar detectors, at this time I can say that I am definitely not satisfied with my V1G2 in our area. The K band performance is just not there right now. I had one rather encouraging K band encounter towards the beginning of ownership, but it was then followed by a handful of very lackluster encounters. When I need serious K band protection at speed, I plug in my R3 on firmware 1.50. It has been dead reliable against both C/O and I/O K band and is quiet enough while still being reliable. Frankly, it bums me out because the V1G2 is such a fantastic detector otherwise. The Ka band performance is noticeably better than the R3. The situational awareness with the arrows and bogey counter is second to none. And it is quite quiet to BSMs (although it's not groundbreaking against falses IMHO, as there's still plenty in the constant dense traffic around here). It is definitely quieter than the R3, but I also feel more comfortable with the R3 against real K band, so it's a tradeoff.

I tried an R7 as well, and I couldn't get it to stop falsing to BSMs without absolutely neutering K band sensitivity, which also will not suffice in this area. I ended up returning the R7 fairly quickly honestly. Between the R7 and V1G2, I really cannot say I have been in love with either option. I haven't tried the Redline 360c yet, so I am not sure how that would hold up around here. I am certainly hopeful that Valentine can get the K band thing taken care of, especially since I invested the money in the detector, but I am not sure it is possible without ruining the solid BSM filtering. This area is really unique in having more K band than Ka band in the wild, and it certainly would be the prime case for Theia should it live up to the hype. But for now, I honestly feel that the R3 on 1.50 inspires the most confidence all around, which is crazy to say. So if you are considering the NetRadar DSP, it will probably work very well since it is basically just a remote R3.
1612155608709.png

MassGTI

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everybody! The car I was looking at with the dual head system seems to be off the market, so I’ll be starting from scratch, but I just learned you can use PayPal Credit on the ALP site so that’s a huge help!

@thebravo that was exceptionally summed up! Answered my questions perfectly! Thanks!

your answer brought up another question though...you mentioned DE isn’t common in MA, I had assumed otherwise. I’m between Worcester and Boston(40 mins away) so it’s definitely possible I’ll run into them if they’re MASP, but if I’m able to purchase a dual head for now and be protected 99.9% of the time and add a TX later I will..
Basically, how prevalent is the DE in MA and if you had to either A) get a dual head and run it for a few months or B)run with just an RD and Waze and be careful until I can buy the third, what would you do?

also, you’re saying my car is small enough that 3 RX would do, if I were building from scratch what’s the preferred solution? 3xRX or 2xRX 1xTX? Sorry if it seems like I’m repeating myself, I guess just wondering what the BEST solution is now that I know they both work.

@NorEaster18 great to be back! A deer took out my new ‘19 GTI a few months ago, just getting into another. Sold my R3 so I’m starting from scratch. I’ll be a bit more present from now on, I promise!

again, thanks for the help everybody. Your knowledge is invaluable!

Tb12

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
MASP doesn't run DE to my knowledge. Mostly truspeed S. They've were real quiet early this year after the overtime fiasco, don't know if they've ramped back up.

Lots of detail on my install here

Post in thread 'Mk7 Golf R ALP stealth build log' https://www.rdforum.org/threads/89302/post-1356846

I still haven't found a good GPS location, if anybody finds one let me know :)

MassGTI

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Tb12 any info on the overtime fiasco? I’m curious. Also, maybe not MASP but BPD and a few other towns have it, and I’m located right by route 9/90/495 junction so I’m around them.

MassGTI

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Alright guys, here’s another question. Say I’m broke but really want to know when I’m being shot by laser, am I able to buy a kit with a single RX head just to get a reading? It’s one of those things where it’ll be good to have more knowledge for now, and the upgrade path costs almost exactly the same as buying new($30 difference).

I figured I’d run a single head RX without hifi just for alerts, then get Bluetooth and a TX head to run a centered RX/TX setup. Then eventually get Hifi and a second RX.

I saw on ALP’s page they had an A4 fully covered with that, so I assume my GTI will be fine with just 1RX/1TX.
Thanks again everybody, you guys are amazing.

RaggedEdge

RDForum owner and Rdtalk.org Founder
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Alright guys, here’s another question. Say I’m broke but really want to know when I’m being shot by laser, am I able to buy a kit with a single RX head just to get a reading? It’s one of those things where it’ll be good to have more knowledge for now, and the upgrade path costs almost exactly the same as buying new($30 difference).

I figured I’d run a single head RX without hifi just for alerts, then get Bluetooth and a TX head to run a centered RX/TX setup. Then eventually get Hifi and a second RX.

I saw on ALP’s page they had an A4 fully covered with that, so I assume my GTI will be fine with just 1RX/1TX.
Thanks again everybody, you guys are amazing.
Depending on which guns you face, a single RX could provide you with saves.

MassGTI

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Oh, wow. I figured it wouldn’t function. That’s great news!
I will most likely end up doing that then.
That makes a single RX/TX setup sound pretty appealing as well, looks like I have my path for purchase!
Appreciate the help!

radarrob

Newcumber
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@radarrob @MassGTI
(tks for heads-up, Rob)

Been very busy lately & not active here recently.
Use caution b/c Boston PD & (Moto LEO's) use DE lidar guns, as well as a couple of Central MA towns, - Providence,R.I. PD,as well.
Avoid older Gen. 1 AL-P Transponders as they cannot defend well against DE guns if you're considering buying a used AL-P sys.

I do Lidar/Radar testing for Northeast members & you may contact me when you're ready.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deags