Looking for insight- R7 v V1G2

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well, it doesn't go nuts at the merest sniff, if that's what you want. But Kenny rates it as the best ramp up he's seen, and he's used more brands than me.
I've always liked the V1 ramp, even the first Gen 2's didn't worry me like it did some users.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
I own and run both regularly. The V1G2 is most definitely more sensitive on Ka than the R7, so it's my detector of choice when on road trips. With real world testing against stationary threats, there were situations where the difference in detection was measured in miles. Other times, they trade blows (which indicates terrain limited detection).

It does things that the R7 can never do. I can set up the app to change modes and profiles automatically based on geographical location (no other detector does this). The threat presentation on the detector is simple and straight forward, however if I need more information, the app does this for me. The V1G2 is more portable and discreet.

With regards to lazy ramp up, that has long been fixed with the since 2 firmware versions ago (so you can disregard that criticism), which brings me to another thing I like about the V1G2, there have been consistent firmware updates and quick addressing of issues by VR to get the issues corrected. I was personally worried about that, but so far they are quicker to get new firmware out than any of the other players, especially Uniden. I am very disappointed in how slow Uniden has been with regards to putting out firmware to deal with issues.

Both are pretty good with C/O K band detection, the R7 is better with I/O K band by a good margin right now, but with how horrible the BSM and false alert filtering is on K band, it's tough to discern whether you are facing a real threat or yet another BSM. It also alerts to Traffic Monitors like crazy and falses like crazy on X band (should you ever need to run it).

The R7 offers the ability to drop sensitivity in order to keep it quieter, the V1G2 does not, it runs at full sensitivity all the time and simply offers modes that allows the detector to try and figure out if a threat is real or not.

When I was running the R7 before the V1G2 came out, I got pretty good at just disabling K band in certain areas all together just to make it livable, but it was a PITA, so I eventually just left K band turned off because the noise was too much to deal with, and I wasn't taking any K alerts seriously anyhow. When I got the V1G2, that changed. I run it with K band enabled for areas I drive in, and have run the R7 again with K band enabled. The difference between the two is like night and day. The V1G2 is so much quieter on K band, it's amazing.

I am hoping that VR can fix the I/O K band performance so this becomes a topic of the past.

I am hoping that Uniden can fix the BSM falsing issue as well.
Post automatically merged:

So with all that in mind, and your comment on experience... I'd really like a good ramp up. Which again, from what I've read, both detectors provide (if the V1 has the newest FW). Is this the case?
With the last 2 firmware versions from Valentine, the V1G2 has, by far and away, the best ramp up of the two. It's not even close.

Last edited:

cfdrift34

PSL +5.... ish
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I own and run both regularly. The V1G2 is most definitely more sensitive on Ka than the R7, so it's my detector of choice when on road trips. With real world testing against stationary threats, there were situations where the difference in detection was measured in miles. Other times, they trade blows (which indicates terrain limited detection).

It does things that the R7 can never do. I can set up the app to change modes and profiles automatically based on geographical location (no other detector does this). The threat presentation on the detector is simple and straight forward, however if I need more information, the app does this for me. The V1G2 is more portable and discreet.

With regards to lazy ramp up, that has long been fixed with the since 2 firmware versions ago (so you can disregard that criticism), which brings me to another thing I like about the V1G2, there have been consistent firmware updates and quick addressing of issues by VR to get the issues corrected. I was personally worried about that, but so far they are quicker to get new firmware out than any of the other players, especially Uniden. I am very disappointed in how slow Uniden has been with regards to putting out firmware to deal with issues.

Both are pretty good with C/O K band detection, the R7 is better with I/O K band by a good margin right now, but with how horrible the BSM and false alert filtering is on K band, it's tough to discern whether you are facing a real threat or yet another BSM. It also alerts to Traffic Monitors like crazy and falses like crazy on X band (should you ever need to run it).

The R7 offers the ability to drop sensitivity in order to keep it quieter, the V1G2 does not, it runs at full sensitivity all the time and simply offers modes that allows the detector to try and figure out if a threat is real or not.

When I was running the R7 before the V1G2 came out, I got pretty good at just disabling K band in certain areas all together just to make it livable, but it was a PITA, so I eventually just left K band turned off because the noise was too much to deal with, and I wasn't taking any K alerts seriously anyhow. When I got the V1G2, that changed. I run it with K band enabled for areas I drive in, and have run the R7 again with K band enabled. The difference between the two is like night and day. The V1G2 is so much quieter on K band, it's amazing.

I am hoping that VR can fix the I/O K band performance so this becomes a topic of the past.

I am hoping that Uniden can fix the BSM falsing issue as well.
Post automatically merged:

With the last 2 firmware versions from Valentine, the V1G2 has, by far and away, the best ramp up of the two. It's not even close.
Very helpful. In all honesty I'm not worried about K, as stupid as it is I actually run my Redline with K off right now bc of the falses. That, and I really only drive on the highway and haven't seen a legit K signal in YEARS. I'll have it on when I get the V1, see what I need to tweak to get what I want out of it.

Think I've finally decided on the V1. I really liked using the app with the original V1, and it's sounding like I don't necessarily need to run the app every time I drive.

Thank you all SO much for your help on this!

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, it doesn't go nuts at the merest sniff, if that's what you want. But Kenny rates it as the best ramp up he's seen, and he's used more brands than me.
I've always liked the V1 ramp, even the first Gen 2's didn't worry me like it did some users.
Like @LouG said, The V1G2 has by far the best ramp up against Ka band since 4.1023 that I've ever seen. Before the update I'd give it to the V1G1. My R1's are very good as well but go all in well before the kill zone and my Redline-O's do as well. I much prefer the R1's ramp to the V1G2's before 4.1021/23 however. My Redline-O's Ka alert tone is still my favorite however! If it doesn't make you drop anchor during an I/O 35.5 shot than your either deaf or in a coma! LMAO!

cfdrift34

PSL +5.... ish
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Like @LouG said, The V1G2 has by far the best ramp up against Ka band since 4.1023 that I've ever seen. Before the update I'd give it to the V1G1. My R1's are very good as well but go all in well before the kill zone and my Redline-O's do as well. I much prefer the R1's ramp to the V1G2's before 4.1021/23 however. My Redline-O's Ka alert tone is still my favorite however! If it doesn't make you drop anchor during an I/O 35.5 shot than your either deaf or in a coma! LMAO!
That's exactly why I've kept mine so long. I like the ramp up and the moment I hear that alert I'm on the brakes!

cfdrift34

PSL +5.... ish
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well, here's a little update. I've decided to go with the V1. Called them to make an order, and they're all ouf of stock!

Does anyone know when they will be back in stock? Or does anyone happen to have one floating around?

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well, here's a little update. I've decided to go with the V1. Called them to make an order, and they're all ouf of stock!

Does anyone know when they will be back in stock? Or does anyone happen to have one floating around?

According to the VR website the V1G2 is backordered (like you said). VR is saying that the expected shipping date is 3/19/2021 or earlier.

jeff20101

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Alright fellow enthusiasts. I've been rocking a Redline-O for years now. Just got a new job and I'm having to drive quite a long ways for it (Charlotte to Statesville NC and back). I've recently found myself very confused when my RD goes off, especially in the morning when it's dark. Because of that I've been looking at some sort of RD with arrows. That, and the Redline-O could just really use an update. I'm between the R7 and V1G2.

The biggest reasons I'm looking at the R7 is the price and the MRCD ability. NC seems to be slowly stepping up their enforcement abilities and I'm nervous they'll get MRCD. Filtering isn't too much of a concern for me, since I've had the RL-O and I'm used to it going off a lot.

What're your thoughts? Think the chances of MRCD expanding throughout the US is an imminent threat?

Edit: I drive mostly highway, really only encounter Ka and Laser (so I actually have K turned off the Redline-O), and am looking for range similar or better than the Redline-O
Hi,just read your post,I bought an r7 in dec 2020.It is absolutely awesome.Now with the new 135 firmware update its really quiet.Of course it depends on how you use your settings.I don't really know anything about the vg2,I do know its a good radar detctor,but i don't like the idea you need your phone to use apps for it.I'm sure if you go with the r7 you will be very happy with it.Watch the videos from vortex radar.That will set you on the right track.

goheels69

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The reactivity on K band for the v1g2 is unacceptable, unless you live in places where k guns aren’t widely used (e.g., CA). Until Mike gets this fixed with new firmware I wouldn’t recommend it vs the R7, imho.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I could have bought an R7. I didn't I bought two Gen 2's, 'nuff said.

ZaslonV1G2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Just place an order and it will ship soon. I had to do the same thing back in May.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coach Ron