Powering off v1 gen2 each time

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In one vehicle I have a hardwired setup and in another I use the coiled cord and 12v adapter.

Is it ok or does anyone just unplug your V1 gen2 while powered on still?

I ask cause the button power down sequence isn’t the greatest and I seem to either keep it pressed for long enough and it powers off or I release too soon and have to try again.

just wondering if any damage would occur long term.

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I ask cause the button power down sequence isn’t the greatest and I seem to either keep it pressed for long enough and it powers off or I release too soon and have to try again.
100% agree, the time to power down needs to be reduced a fair bit.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
When using the 12v adapter I just pull the unit. The power down is too long.

MASI

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Many people "hardwire" the RD to accessory power, which uses a relay to turn off the RD power when you turn off the engine. No issues.

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks all! I am in no way trying to pick my new V1 gen2 apart ;) I'll be pulling the cord from the unit then instead of wasting time with the power down sequence.

Programmatically it could be changed to a sequence of button presses to quickly shut down but if pulling the cord won't hurt, then that's what I'll do since I don't leave it in the car, ever if I'm away.

SwankPeRFection

Banned
Banned User
Corgi Lovers
Reaction score
Why didn’t you wire it to a switched power source? Or are you just in the habit of taking it down after each drive, regardless of how it’s wired or which car it’s in?

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Why didn’t you wire it to a switched power source? Or are you just in the habit of taking it down after each drive, regardless of how it’s wired or which car it’s in?
One vehicle has a hardwired source. The other does not and I have no plans to install a hardwired kit in the other, it’s an older car that’s a beater.

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It goes off when the key goes off. It's been that way for all my detectors for 30+ years. It comes back automatically on power up. If you don't have a switched socket, then just pull the plug. It will be just fine!

biolink

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm considering a remote power adapter for the quick turn off, retro dial, and I like the harsher lowder sound of Gen 1. For now I do actually turn mine off each time I get out of the car.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado