Testing R7 in different modes and sensitivity levels!

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I keep seeing this stationary K band 24.123 GHz freq each time I sit in my car during my work-break and tonight I came to think of trying out R7's sensitivity settings. In this scenario, the 30% setting detection is just as strong as 100 or highway mode,, Check out the video!

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
great job, nice to see more and more testing
Post automatically merged:

likes and subcribed

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I keep seeing this stationary K band 24.123 GHz freq each time I sit in my car during my work-break and tonight I came to think of trying out R7's sensitivity settings. In this scenario, the 30% setting detection is just as strong as 100 or highway mode,, Check out the video!
Nice illustration. K band is definitely one of the R7 strengths.

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for posting @Izzyrd !

So..... now the question is....

What's the difference within the firmware between City & Advanced with K set at 30%?

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a theory. OP could you test it out for us?

Since the signal is at your work, try something next time if you would.

Power cycle the R7 after changing modes.

My suspicion is that merely changing modes on a current constant signal has no effect, and possibly the next signal is filtered at reduced sensitivity.

Power cycle after changing modes and let's see how it goes.

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

My suspicion is that merely changing modes on a current constant signal has no effect, and possibly the next signal is filtered at reduced sensitivity.

Power cycle after changing modes and let's see how it goe

I think you're right. I did notice this before. I'll retest this tonight. Thanks.

Thanks for posting @Izzyrd !

So..... now the question is....

What's the difference within the firmware between City & Advanced with K set at 30%?
I don't know but I thought the latest firmware 1.33 is supposed to be better than the previous!

Last edited:

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

So I tried your suggestion. It somehow it didn't seem to make a difference, unless, I'm not doing it the way you suggested or maybe the K band source isn't consistent. Real life driving tho on my daily route shows actual difference on store automatic doors and BSM. 40% is a real quiet drive. 60% picks up 2 to 4 doors/stores in 35 minute city driving.

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I think running the R7 in city mode has good BSM and good K band range in real life encounters.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This. Even in city mode, the R7 have almost same K band sensitivity as other top tier RD on most test.

Yes, check out the R7 vs. others in City modes.
K @ 30% bests most on highway mode, 40% equals all the best of the best on highway.
I'm only unsure of where the RL360c on Auto mode flushes out in the mix.
I'm running mostly 30-40% not needing City much, so have that in my back pocket if in really bad areas.

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Yes, check out the R7 vs. others in City modes.
K @ 30% bests most on highway mode, 40% equals all the best of the best on highway.
I'm only unsure of where the RL360c on Auto mode flushes out in the mix.
I'm running mostly 30-40% not needing City much, so have that in my back pocket if in really bad areas.
I agree. Thanks

Panda08

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
So I tried your suggestion. It somehow it didn't seem to make a difference, unless, I'm not doing it the way you suggested or maybe the K band source isn't consistent. Real life driving tho on my daily route shows actual difference on store automatic doors and BSM. 40% is a real quiet drive. 60% picks up 2 to 4 doors/stores in 35 minute city driving.

Here’s a question that no one has brought up.

could it be that you don’t see any difference because the source is too close?

when people run different detectors through a test course, they use alert distance to separate performance. At some point, let’s say 500 ft from the radar source, all detectors are alerting.

Since you notice a difference when you are driving throughout town, perhaps this stationary k band is too close to where you park to allow any noticeable difference in K band levels. Just a thought.
Please clarify if I’m mistaken.

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

when people run different detectors through a test course, they use alert distance to separate performance. At some point, let’s say 500 ft from the radar source, all detectors are alerting.

Since you notice a difference when you are driving throughout town, perhaps this stationary k band is too close to where you park to allow any noticeable difference in K band levels. Just a thought.
Your theory makes perfect sense. Because the op is so close to the signal, it is seeing the same strength no matter the sensitivity setting. Like you said, distance I bet would make a difference. If say he moved far enough away from the source to maybe only show one bar signal strength at a lower percentage, maybe the signal would then increase as he upped the percentage. Just a guess on my part, I'm thinking maybe the percentage of sensitivity is really only changing how soon it picks up a signal (basically making the reciever in the RD 'hotter'). Either way the R7 rocks and thanks to the OP for your testing.

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

That's a good analysis and I can agree with that.

Your theory makes perfect sense. Because the op is so close to the signal, it is seeing the same strength no matter the sensitivity setting. Like you said, distance I bet would make a difference. If say he moved far enough away from the source to maybe only show one bar signal strength at a lower percentage, maybe the signal would then increase as he upped the percentage. Just a guess on my part, I'm thinking maybe the percentage of sensitivity is really only changing how soon it picks up a signal (basically making the reciever in the RD 'hotter'). Either way the R7 rocks and thanks to the OP for your testing.
Yeah I think he's right on the strength of the source and distance theory. Real time driving definitely shows big differences in my daily route.

I think running the R7 in city mode has good BSM and good K band range in real life encounters.
I agree but with a few LEOs using K-band in my daily route, I feel "safer" running at least at 50% sensitivity.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmmch65