Audi MMI 3G Plus mute function...

SQuattro

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I've searched this forum and the internet in general, and I'm still struggling for a definitive solution to the specific implementation for my car variant & install.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with the Audi MMI 3G Plus system, in terms of tapping into the mute function?

I want to integrate my ALP with the Audi MMI system, so when the ALP activates (I understand the blue wire is grounded during an alert) the stereo mutes, as it does when a there's an incoming telephone call, or when the Sat Nav chimes in etc.

I've seen MMI 3G wiring diagrams which show Pin1 on the 8-pin connector A is labeled "LF mute from mobile phone prefitted". This seems to be the likely candidate to wire the blue ALP ground output wire to. Does "LF" mean 'Low Frequency'... of so, exactly what does this mean? Can a 0v be applied to this safely to 'mimic' a mute function? I obviously don't want to just jab a 0v on one of the MMI pins to test the theory, and risk blowing up the MMI or ALP... I'd prefer confirmation of a correct solution. Does anyone have any info. on the correct mute wiring at all?

My specific MMI variant is a 3G Plus (with B&O option) fitted to a MY14 SQ5 3.0 TDI.

Many thanks in advance 👍

SQuattro

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
OK, I took the plunge and worked of the best information I could find.

Below is the wiring diagram for the Audi Q5 8R MMI 3G stereo head unit...
Audi Q5 8R MMI 3G stereo head unit wiring diagram.jpg

A - Multi-pin connector, 8-pin
1 - LF mute from mobile phone prefitting
2 - Voltage supply to multimedia operating unit -E380-
3 - Wake UP to multimedia operating unit -E380-
5 - "Mobile ON" signal, Power ON
6 - Reset to multimedia operating unit -E380-
7 - Loop break diagnostic wire

I connected the blue output wire from the ALP into pin 1 of connector A of the Audi MMI multi-plug.

Works a treat!... the MMI unit mutes once the ALP triggers, keeps muted throughout the duration of the encounter (laser contact), and then unmutes as the laser contact is lost.

ALP install officially fully signed off!!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmmch65