Radar detector Newbie

Lylemac59

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello all. I was introduced to this forum after reading an article from Vortex Radar.

At the beginning of this Pandemic, the Southern California Freeways were virtually empty which caused me to get a little carried away traveling to work each morning. ☺ I got a speeding ticket in March of 2020 after not having a ticket in decades. I agonized over the whole thing for months but I was able to argue my case with the judge which found me not guilty. When the court mailed me back my bail money, I decided right then to buy myself a Radar Detector. Wow is there a lot to this. I never realized the different bands that can be used by law enforcement. I looked at my ticket and the CHP was using Lidar. So I researched the detectors out there and ended up with the Uniden R7. Complicated is not quite the word for it but I am hoping I will be able to figure it out using Vortex's website and this forum. So far, I have used this detector for 2 commutes and I realize I am going to have to tone down the detection. The K band goes off all the time driving through construction zones. The radar signs Cal Trans puts out every couple of miles are annoying to a Radar detector.

Thanks for all the posts. This is very informative.

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome and buckle up!

Spend a bit of time around here, and maybe focus on the fact that there are two different threats you are facing. Radar (most likely only KA in CA), and then lidar. Congrats on the R7 as that is a great detector for "radar" however in your case it will only notify of when to pull over in the event you encounter another "lidar" CHP.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome! As @Bocephus says, if you are going to keep the lead foot you should look into laser jammer systems. The R7 will do well for you in warning you of radar use but jammers are the only way besides Waze and SA (seeing them before they see you) to avoid LIDAR tickets.

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
When the court mailed me back my bail money
Were you arrested for the speed you were going?
I looked at my ticket and the CHP was using Lidar. So I researched the detectors out there and ended up with the Uniden R7.
The R7 (nor any other RD) will offer you any protection from Lidar, you need to invest in other countermeasure for that protection.

Welcome and enjoy!

AM21

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from another R7 User. Vortex has a setup guide for the R7 if you haven't already stumbled upon it and it did a good job of making mine pretty quiet (I don't have speed signs in my area.) Like @Bocephus and @OBeerWANKenobi stated with the ticket you got for Lidar a laser jammer would be your only real defense. A lot of members recommend the ALP or TMG systems. Good luck with your daily commute and wish you the best.

Lylemac59

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Were you arrested for the speed you were going?

The R7 (nor any other RD) will offer you any protection from Lidar, you need to invest in other countermeasure for that protection.

Welcome and enjoy!
Westwind77, I was not arrested. It was a speeding ticket that I had to pay even before contesting it. But I did contest it and was found not guilty so I am glad I did.

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome! Solid pick with the R7.

To reinforce a couple of good points from above:

In California it's pretty much just Ka for radar. So you should be able to turn K band sensitivity down to a manageable level without too much risk. Some people in CA run with K band turned off altogether.

Lidar is a different animal compared to radar and no detector will reliably save you from it. Get an app for crowd-sourced alerts (laser traps are more stationary so this can work pretty well if there is a good user base), jammers if/when you can afford them, and keep your eyes peeled and your spider senses on alert.

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Westwind77, I was not arrested. It was a speeding ticket that I had to pay even before contesting it. But I did contest it and was found not guilty so I am glad I did.
Glad you hear, when you said 'bail money' I thought you might have been and were 'bailed out', then got it back after being found not-guilty. Enjoy your R7!

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
welcome to the forum

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hello all. I was introduced to this forum after reading an article from Vortex Radar.

At the beginning of this Pandemic, the Southern California Freeways were virtually empty which caused me to get a little carried away traveling to work each morning. ☺ I got a speeding ticket in March of 2020 after not having a ticket in decades. I agonized over the whole thing for months but I was able to argue my case with the judge which found me not guilty. When the court mailed me back my bail money, I decided right then to buy myself a Radar Detector. Wow is there a lot to this. I never realized the different bands that can be used by law enforcement. I looked at my ticket and the CHP was using Lidar. So I researched the detectors out there and ended up with the Uniden R7. Complicated is not quite the word for it but I am hoping I will be able to figure it out using Vortex's website and this forum. So far, I have used this detector for 2 commutes and I realize I am going to have to tone down the detection. The K band goes off all the time driving through construction zones. The radar signs Cal Trans puts out every couple of miles are annoying to a Radar detector.

Thanks for all the posts. This is very informative.
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you didn't have to pay the pirates.
The R7 is a great detector. I use one and couldn't be happier with it. Like mentioned before, you can probably turn K band off, but make sure it's not used where you drive. If you can turn it off, you'll have a very quiet detector.
When you can, check into laser, (lidar) jammers to beat getting pulled over because of laser shots.
Look around the forum and get familiar with it. Join in the conversations and ask any questions you may have.

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Lylemac59 , Welcome to the Forum from Tennessee!! Great choice on the R7. As @2018GTI stated, the R7 isn’t as complicated as it may seem to be initially, and once you get the settings adjusted and “dialed in” after experimenting with different settings, the R7 should serve you well against radar threats. Most all detectors (unfortunately) offer little protection against lidar.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vader716