Volvo XC90 where to mount alp heads

sahiljain22

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi all, any comments on the ALP heads (2rx and 1tx) 16 inches from ground and 8 inch apart.
Based this on a previous post by someone but they kinda look low.
Need dragoneye protection.

will test post covid but looking for the best install option.

another thought was vertical install in the grill but they would be too recessed or below the headlights they may be too far apart.

Attachments

• aq1.jpeg
    aq1.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 18

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Mods please delete. Thx.
Why? Just curious.

I’m not sure how wide the vertical slats are, but my wife would love an XC90, so I’ve seen some on the lot and don’t think they’re anywhere near wide enough to mount an RX head without cutting. A good installer could cut them into the front fascia, and it might even escape looking somewhat factory on a Volvo (“I don’t know, some sort of sensor for the autonomous driving I think”). You could take the BMW route and mount the heads vertically between the slats, too. I’m not sure where the TX should go, but my instinct would be that your best bet would be setting it into the upper part of the center logo cap.

You do want to make sure that you have good rear TX coverage as well, and that none of the heads are too far recessed to be able to see overpass shots from front or rear.

sahiljain22

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Why? Just curious.

I’m not sure how wide the vertical slats are, but my wife would love an XC90, so I’ve seen some on the lot and don’t think they’re anywhere near wide enough to mount an RX head without cutting. A good installer could cut them into the front fascia, and it might even escape looking somewhat factory on a Volvo (“I don’t know, some sort of sensor for the autonomous driving I think”). You could take the BMW route and mount the heads vertically between the slats, too. I’m not sure where the TX should go, but my instinct would be that your best bet would be setting it into the upper part of the center logo cap.

You do want to make sure that you have good rear TX coverage as well, and that none of the heads are too far recessed to be able to see overpass shots from front or rear.
Just realized I attached the picture with my plates by accident instead of one without my plates hence the delete request. I have the new XC90 and the grills slats too recessed and curved in. In my older X5 I had custom cut the black sport BMW slats for a horizontal rx install but might blacken out the grill in this one and then see if it’s worth mounting the rx sensor in it. Otherwise stands out a lot.

thanks for replying! I appreciate the advice.

mods: thanks for fixing the photo.

Last edited:

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just realized I attached the picture with my plates by accident instead of one without my plates hence the delete request. I have the new XC90 and the grills slats too recessed and curved in. In my older X5 I had custom cut the black sport BMW slats for a horizontal rx install but might blacken out the grill in this one and then see if it’s worth mounting the rx sensor in it. Otherwise stands out a lot.

thanks for replying! I appreciate the advice.

mods: thanks for fixing the photo.
16" on the TX is a No No

Your looking for 21". That's 5" difference

You will most likely need 3 RX on the front. Im running 3 Rx on my 500SL and its JTG Fire Breathers.

No Tx fo you !!

Benzr

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have the new XC90
What year? I imagine something like this would be perfect, but for ‘16-‘19...

It might be interesting to get ahold of an inexpensive used OEM grille and have a good paint shop shoot it black. Maybe leave the logo surround and diagonal chrome, maybe even the whole grille surround.

Last edited:

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
This ^^^^^^ i agree 1000 %. 👍👍👍👍

Benzr

sahiljain22

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have a 2020 so the grill is quite recessed.

Here is my final install. I cut off the sides and sugru'ed the sensors flat/square. Headlights fully covered at 20 inches. Tx 20-21 inches away and Tx is now 24 inches from ground. After its painted, photoshop tells me it should looks quite flush (see second image).

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0835_Blacked.jpg
    IMG_0835_Blacked.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
Ya done WELL

CONGRATS !!!!!

Now go get the replacement grill (if it's a great price) and store it somewhere, else you want to sell your baby years later WITH your ALP still attached. 😲😲

Benzr

sahiljain22

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Ya done WELL

CONGRATS !!!!!

Now go get the replacement grill (if it's a great price) and store it somewhere, else you want to sell your baby years later WITH your ALP still attached. 😲😲

Benzr

Yes, I do that usually. Thx for all the help!

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
Also, consider get a black paint pen and painting your sugru black for a more appealing close up look on the edges. Be care to blue tape the plastized chrime grill just in case first.

B

sahiljain22

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Here is the final picture. Thanks all.

everything approx 22 inches of each other. And the black grill hides everything well.

Attachments

• share.jpg
    share.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 7

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoobylovesjazz