Vintage radar detector: Golden Eagle

pkbites

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Way back in the mid-80s (85/86/87 somewhere in there) Car & Driver did a test of remote radar detectors.

One that they tested was one I'd never heard of before nor since. Never saw an ad for one or anything.

I believe it was named the "Golden Eagle". What was unique about it was it could be used as both a remote detector and a dashtop detector.
But I've never known anyone to have one. I've yet to see one for sale on Ebay.

Anyone here ever own one or have any pictures?

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Are you sure they weren't talking about the Kustom Signals Golden Eagle radar gun that they may have been using for testing? I don't know when that actually came out though, it could have been later. I wasn't really paying attention to that stuff in the mid 80's.

MurrayB

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I did through research and bought remote detectors in the mid eighties I don't recall that name. But, I could be wrong. If anyone has availability of that article it would be real interesting.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Golden and Silver Eagles were K band radar units. Some were used down here, they were the first mobile radar units that were used.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Are you sure they weren't talking about the Kustom Signals Golden Eagle radar gun that they may have been using for testing? I don't know when that actually came out though, it could have been later. I wasn't really paying attention to that stuff in the mid 80's.
Yeah that was my thought as well.

LE876_500_1.jpg

It may have been the name of a radar detector too, but that'd be pretty confusing.

pkbites

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
No, no, and No! I am not thinking about a radar unit but a radar detector.

Sorry to get a little testy, but I knew my memory was correct. Plus you all made me go up in my freezing attic and find the magazine article. Yikes it’s cold today.

Anyway, it was Car & Driver March of 1985. The detector was named the Golden Eagle and it was distributed by Valor Enterprises of West Milton, Ohio.

That particular unit had dismal performance. But I liked the concept of a two piece remote unit that could be snapped together to make a one piece dash/visor unit. I was somewhat disappointed in V1’s remote display but they were following the same concept.

Anyway, outside of this test I had never heard of the item before nor since.

Attachments

• D0528029-99DB-47A6-BB95-4B07AC013A1D.jpeg
    D0528029-99DB-47A6-BB95-4B07AC013A1D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 129CAF0E-BAFC-4EE4-A62D-C6F8D701629D.jpeg
    129CAF0E-BAFC-4EE4-A62D-C6F8D701629D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
No, no, and No! I am not thinking about a radar unit but a radar detector.

Sorry to get a little testy, but I knew my memory was correct. Plus you all made me go up in my freezing attic and find the magazine article. Yikes it’s cold today.

Anyway, it was Car & Driver March of 1985. The detector was named the Golden Eagle and it was distributed by Valor Enterprises of West Milton, Ohio.

That particular unit had dismal performance. But I liked the concept of a two piece remote unit that could be snapped together to make a one piece dash/visor unit. I was somewhat disappointed in V1’s remote display but they were following the same concept.

Anyway, outside of this test I had never heard of the item before nor since.
You have a better memory than I do. Thanks for posting. I think most of us were convinced that you were confused with the radar unit, LOL.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've never heard of this detector either. BTW, I don't blame you for getting a little testy! Going up in a freezing cold attic would do the same to me! LMAO!

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this with us @pkbites. It's amazing how many different brands there were that have long since been forgotten.

Although I'm sure no one will doubt your memory next time, make sure to go up in the attic first. 😉😉😂😂

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonmota95