Any ON members moved out to AB???

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
Was discussing early retirement for my wife and I the other week. I would really love to get out of ON permanently. Any members here from ON move to AB? Differences in people?, local culture, laws etc? I would like to know what we'd be in for if we moved out West. I know the winters would be a lot worse, but, I'm looking for scenery, space and peace and quiet. View of mountains would be a must. Have a friend that just moved out to Pincher Creek, AB, but she hasn't been there long. Just got hired on with the RCMP out there. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I love the idea of not having to hide my RD anymore, but that's just one small victory.
Thanks in advance!

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Got some friends and do some work in Pincher Creek. Super nice area with access to mountains and only a little over a hour to Calgary. Winters really aren’t that bad in AB because of the chinooks. Cochrane is another nice area west of Calgary. More rural life in places like Longview or Nanton but lots of options to fit your requests.

Not from ON but wanted to at least add what I could to thread :)

edconline

PSL++
Advanced User
Reaction score
Was discussing early retirement for my wife and I the other week. I would really love to get out of ON permanently. Any members here from ON move to AB? Differences in people?, local culture, laws etc? I would like to know what we'd be in for if we moved out West. I know the winters would be a lot worse, but, I'm looking for scenery, space and peace and quiet. View of mountains would be a must. Have a friend that just moved out to Pincher Creek, AB, but she hasn't been there long. Just got hired on with the RCMP out there. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I love the idea of not having to hide my RD anymore, but that's just one small victory.
Thanks in advance!
I lived in Ontario the first 21 years of my life, GTA the whole time. Moved to Edmonton in 2007 and have been here ever since. Don’t do it. It would be preferable to work in Ontario until you die at 89 than to move to Alberta.

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Im in Vancouver but believe only Calgary gets the Chinooks but I could be wrong. If you think Winters are bad in Alberta come to the lower mainland...winter what is that? Alberta is beautiful but not as nice as BC with our oceans, mountains, Whistler, Vancouver Island, Gulf Islands, and more but thats just my opinion. Edmonton speed enforcement capital of the world yikes...

Last edited:

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I lived in Ontario the first 21 years of my life, GTA the whole time. Moved to Edmonton in 2007 and have been here ever since. Don’t do it. It would be preferable to work in Ontario until you die at 89 than to move to Alberta.
I had to reread this to catch it, that was funny.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761