K Band compromise/setup for the RL360c

PaulJakl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I’ve been running this awesome detector for about 6 months now and with the new 1.6 update it’s even a better detector. Now the small town I live in uses K band almost exclusively so I’ve been torn on what would be my best settings to run. Up until about a week ago, I’ve been running in AUTO with the K-notch enabled and segments 1,2 and 3 only. Running it this way kept it much quieter but the damn ramp up (or lack of) made me believe I was getting instant trigger blasts pretty often, BSM’s were the main culprit. And I would also experience the same thing when passing a legitimate LEO. This was a problem for me because I had to now really pay attention to my surroundings much more to decide weather I was passing a real threat or not. After reading some other posts I decided to change the sensitivity to HIGHWAY and take off the K-Notch. The detector is now a little more chatty but this has eliminated the concerns of having to slam on the brakes. I just wanted to share this with others that may be experiencing the same thing. The next thing I want to experiment now is running AUTO with K-Notch enabled and then HIGHWAY with K-Notch enabled to see if either of these will help eliminate the feeling of getting an I/O hit every time I encounter K band. And then as far as Ka alerts, have never seen anything better!

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The next thing I want to experiment now is running AUTO with K-Notch enabled and then HIGHWAY with K-Notch enabled to see if either of these will help eliminate the feeling of getting an I/O hit every time I encounter K band. And then as far as Ka alerts, have never seen anything better!
This has been discussed many times. Auto adjusts (kills) the K-band sensitivity based on your speed. Especially around town you will get very minimal alert distances with I/O like responses, as you have indicated you have experienced. It is not recommended to run Auto if you live in an area with active K-band as it is very risky.

As far as K-Notch goes, the RD will reduce sensitivity on K-band only to a small specific frequency range where known BSM alerts sometime punch through on the RD. I believe it reduces the sensitivity 30db in that specific range. Personally I have that disabled as I have a local who runs K-band within that range so it is not very safe. If you are 100% there are none in your area that fall into that range then it would be ok to turn it on.

If you are going to run a combo I would run Highway and K-notch (as long as you know none operate in that range). Personally I think the RL does a great job with BSM filtering on Highway, on par with the Max360 series. If you go through the testing index you will see results running these units on Auto vs Highway, you can make up your mind from there if it is worth the risk. Auto only affects K-band sensitivity, Ka is always full.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Much appreciated Westwind77! I will try HIGHWAY with K-notch enabled and see how that works.
On Highway mode, try TSR on for a little bit better filtering. My DualPro 360 has been extremely quiet with it on,
I'm just starting to try it TSR Off because you get a little bit better reaction time with it Off, but a RL360c has so much range you will get extreme distance warnings so that will help make up for the fractional of a second longer it may take to alert.

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There's lot of good information in this thread. On my Max 360 I run TSR on, K-Notch on, mode set to Auto. Locally the LEOs use Ka band 99% of the time. In K-Band territory Id consider ditching K-Notch filtering. If you're speeding in 35mph zones, you might want to use highway mode. Auto will kill K band sensitivity below 50-55.

TonyPHX

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Use spec mode and view the frequency. You will get to know what are actually police in kband.
Agreed with MrCheese above, and not just because I really like cheese. Somebody on here introduced me to spec mode and I love knowing the numbers in use around town. I can darn near tell you what officer is working, or at least which vehicle they are driving.

MrCheese

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Agreed with MrCheese above, and not just because I really like cheese. Somebody on here introduced me to spec mode and I love knowing the numbers in use around town. I can darn near tell you what officer is working, or at least which vehicle they are driving.
Who doesn't love cheese...anyhow, yes know the frequencies. As an example 35.5 is usually RCMP(federal police) whereas 34.7 can be local and provincial police.

PaulJakl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I wish I could download all the alert data into a spreadsheet from EL and sort it all

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Red Baron