Why didn't Radenso seek FCC approval for Theia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In a way I'll be sad when Theia comes out. Because we won't have these dumpster fire sorta threads anymore. 😎
Don't fret. Hasn't Uniden filed some documents in regards to the new R9?

How brilliant has this been? Who has even heard of Radenso? If you stopped 100 cars with RDs how many of those would be Radensos and how many of those drivers would even recognize the name? I discovered the company right here at RDF. Through all their videos and comms they have become known. What member of this forum isn't aware of Theia? Every thread is Theia bombed. Speculation to the point of insanity. And all with interesting tidbits added from the OEM. All of this was no small task and the product might just be even better.

Token

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Don't fret. Hasn't Uniden filed some documents in regards to the new R9?

Yes, Uniden filed the documents for the R9 and the date shown is Feb 4, 2020, almost a year ago. It looks like everything has been ready (FCC wise) for sales since then. They even requested that the internal photos be considered confidential for 6 months, until August 2, 2020. When companies have done that in the past it was a pretty good indication of when they thought they would get the product to market.

Still no R9. Which is a shame, I was (and still am) looking forward to that detector for a specific application I have.

T!

cihkal

Keep taking me off ignore? 😘
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
In a way I'll be sad when Theia comes out. Because we won't have these dumpster fire sorta threads anymore. 😎
Same, we’ll have something tangible.

Which is a point of excitement, however!

Trade up?

MASI

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I really, really like this one. Sums up things nicely. Credit to @bluehemi

Attachments

• me v radenso.jpg
    me v radenso.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 19

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Release day is in 832hours from now.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
even requested that the internal photos be considered confidential for 6 months, until August 2, 2020. When companies have done that in the past it was a pretty good indication of when they thought they would get the product to market.
Most companies request the maximum length of short term confidentiality (180 days) for the allowed parts of the application by default. They are supposed to notify the FCC if they offer the product for sale before this window expires so they can unseal the documents, but this rarely happens.

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
What’s to change?

I feel like this isn’t the first time you’ve alluded to your influence on the community, gotcha 👀.

Hey folks, it’s just a FOIA request. Radenso is the next Apple/Tesla... they’ve got this and have little concern for such things. Makes sense 👍

With this post from the OP and getting to this point in reading.... Does Radenso need to reimburse you? Did you buy into a product any receive nothing in the mail, or invest in to vaporware?

Not knock you or others directly.... I am not sure why so many are baggering the withness? This place is not the court of law, and just because a product has not been delivered to the hands of the public (yours)... I get looking for tangible vs intangible ( and credit that). Time I think that the response from Radenso is a bunch of @#$$2 from, I can't slam them too hard. If C19 did not come about, sure... I get it and probably call for more than... then I might be banded permanently for what I might call on things. It is the lack luster that, like many other companies have done to us consumers.... trust me, as I expected tech that failed to produce or hit the market.

cihkal

Keep taking me off ignore? 😘
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
With this post from the OP and getting to this point in reading.... Does Radenso need to reimburse you? Did you buy into a product any receive nothing in the mail, or invest in to vaporware?

Not knock you or others directly.... I am not sure why so many are baggering the withness? This place is not the court of law, and just because a product has not been delivered to the hands of the public (yours)... I get looking for tangible vs intangible ( and credit that). Time I think that the response from Radenso is a bunch of @#$$2 from, I can't slam them too hard. If C19 did not come about, sure... I get it and probably call for more than... then I might be banded permanently for what I might call on things. It is the lack luster that, like many other companies have done to us consumers.... trust me, as I expected tech that failed to produce or hit the market.
Go back to March my friend, it’s just business! Except for, that it’s not for most of us. That’s key.

I look forward to a 2021 release with all the vaccines and therapeutics now out! Feel like it could be a big year. Hope it ain’t double the G2 in cost!

You know... the stage is set, and I do wish them success in this release.

Last edited:

MASI

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
just curious, why are you so anti Theia?

I am not anti-Theia. None of us are anti-Theia. As a concept........ its terrific!

But let's be honest. There is a very long way between a terrific concept and a salable US product that will live up to all of the hype. Remember all the hype about how we would all soon be using jet-packs, Segways, and flying cars? All classic cases of marketing over-hype that the manufacturers could not live up to.

As a former new product manager for a fortune 50 high technology silicon valley company, I am anti- hyping a product when the manufacturer can't/won't back up sensational claims. If a manufacturer makes a claim, it should back it up. Otherwise, it should stay silent. As far as I am able to ascertain, Theia appears to me to be closer to vaporware than a real US saleable product.

When challenged, Radenso repeatedly insisted that it would ship in 2020. When many expressed doubts (especially given all of the sensational claims) they were criticized by the manufacturer. Yet, the doubters proved to be 100% correct. If Theia wad really ready to go in 2020, why is there no new firm sale date? Parts manufacturers do give delivery dates.

Bottom line. It appears to me that there is lots of hype .......... and very little saleable product that can live up to all of that hype. Could it be that they are having trouble living up to all of the hype? That is for each individual to decide.

Warpath

PSL + 1.21 Jigawatts
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I am not anti-Theia. None of us are anti-Theia. As a concept........ its terrific!

But let's be honest. There is a very long way between a terrific concept and a salable US product that will live up to all of the hype. Remember all the hype about how we would all soon be using jet-packs, Segways, and flying cars? All classic cases of marketing over-hype that the manufacturers could not live up to.

As a former new product manager for a fortune 50 high technology silicon valley company, I am anti- hyping a product when the manufacturer can't/won't back up sensational claims. If a manufacturer makes a claim, it should back it up. Otherwise, it should stay silent. As far as I am able to ascertain, Theia appears to me to be closer to vaporware than a real US saleable product.

When challenged, Radenso repeatedly insisted that it would ship in 2020. When many expressed doubts (especially given all of the sensational claims) they were criticized by the manufacturer. Yet, the doubters proved to be 100% correct. If Theia wad really ready to go in 2020, why is there no new firm sale date? Parts manufacturers do give delivery dates.

Bottom line. It appears to me that there is lots of hype .......... and very little saleable product that can live up to all of that hype. Could it be that they are having trouble living up to all of the hype? That is for each individual to decide.
Why don't you just wait and see instead of demanding they meet your mandates for relevancy? Who are they hurting? No one but themselves if they don't preform. They've collected nothing from anyone for Thiea. I like the entitlement that they have meet/answer your requests or business practices.

Last edited:

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
While the FCC used to "certify" equipment for sale, I don't think it is still done that way. Today I think you can self certify, or certify via an external lab. That means someone can test your device, certify it meets requirements, and then you file the test report with the FCC, including all required supportive data. Probably as soon as the FCC accepts the report and files it in their system the item is legal to sell.

With regards to your FOIA request, your assumption is that you are asking the right questions in your FOIA request. There is the GIGO factor to consider.

For example, I once did an FOIA for a document I knew existed. I had seen and used the document in its original classified form, and knew under EO 13526 that it should no longer be classified. And I wanted some of the data in that document to use in a public document. So I submitted an FOIA identifying the document by name along with the originating agency.

The response I got back said the document did not exist. It turns out I had messed up the title, incorrectly changing an "of" to a "for".

So you have to ask yourself, is there a possibility you do not have all the information required, and have asked for information based on an incorrect assumption? You appear to have asked your FOIA with three gates.

Your assumptions and the gates in their search / response criteria:
1. Radenso filed the paperwork in the 12 months proceeding your request.
2. Radenso filed the paperwork for the receiver as a "Radar Detector".
3. Radenso filed the paperwork under the name of "Radenso", "Radenso Radar", or "No Limits".

1. I would say your first assumption is pretty safe, it may (if it has been filed at all) have been filed in that time period. Or it may be waiting to be dropped just before they start shipping. Looking at their past performance they have tested a device (at an independent test facility) and had the acceptance in the FCCs hands in about 4 weeks. When the production item was tested, 4 weeks before the information showed up on the FCC web site, it already had an FCC ID. My assumption is it was probably legal to sell as soon as the FCC accepted the paperwork, but I do not know that level of detail so that is a guess. If that is true they could file the Theia paperwork tomorrow and maybe sell the same week.

2. Your second assumption is that they have or may file this as a radar detector. A reasonably safe assumption, but they could have gotten inventive with the category the SDR receiver falls into. I know the FCC has some different guidelines for SDRs, but I am not familiar enough with them to know if this could be a loophole in naming / designation convention.

3. Your third assumption is where I think you went astray and probably invalidated your effort. You assumed that they filed as either "Radenso", "Radenso Radar", or "No Limits". None of their past detector paperwork was filed under those names, so I see no reason to assume Theia would be. If, in your FOIA request, you had asked for all documentation regarding, for example, the Radenso RC M Ultimate Edition under those business names, the answer would probably have been the same, no such certification or documents exist. Despite the fact we know that detector exists, is for sale, and is certified. Just not under those business names.

My assumptions are these:
1. The testing has not yet been done or has only recently been completed. If possible you want to do testing with a production version of the hardware. Since production may have been held up due to parts availability then it is not unreasonable to assume the test article may have been held up also.

2. The paperwork does not have to be filed until very shortly before you offer the item for public sale, possibly only days to a few weeks before. They could have the test report in hand already. They could get review hardware out to testers without certification, since you only need certification to sell, and file the paperwork while testers are in review.

3. Regardless of when or how, the test report and certification will not be under the name Radenso, Radenso Radar, or No Limits. None of their past detector paperwork has been filed under those names, why should Theia?

I have to say, while I admire your drive and dedication to proving Radenso whatever your goal is to prove, this is near stalker level stuff. Unfortunately your drive is blinding you to possibilities outside your preconceived notions. It is very possible you are wrong on several points, and you are so focused that you cannot see your bias.

T!
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah I kinda see Stalker ish behavior as well, but wanted to see if others determined that as well.

Maybe he IS that driven. Maybe he has an agenda. One thing is for sure ... We will never know.😽😽😼😼😸😸

Benzr

GoldRetriever79

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Reading through this thread reminds me of that scene in Twister of the unrealized idea for some reason.....but Dot 1 (I think that is what is was called) was on display to the media.
1611706262513.png

Only a few more days left in January....maybe February will be the magic month for Theia's reveal.

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah I kinda see Stalker ish behavior as well, but wanted to see if others determined that as well.

Maybe he IS that driven. Maybe he has an agenda. One thing is for sure ... We will never know.😽😽😼😼😸😸

Benzr
It wouldn't surprise me if some of these guys started staking out the Radenso HQ in an effort to spy on Theia development. Most likely Jon has his wires tapped.
download (1).jpeg

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if some of these guys started staking out the Radenso HQ in an effort to spy on Theia development. Most likely Jon has his wires tapped. View attachment 171073
I saw that episode. 👍👍😎😎

Laughed my @ss off !!

Benzr

atc250r

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

If Radenso was a public company (rather than private), I would swear you shorted them and are now trying to manipulate the stock price (like GME on Reddit this week, just opposite direction) to cover your losses.

Alas, Radenso is not publicly traded so I have no idea what your angle is here. No idea, none. I’m really, really puzzled by your negativity.

But do I care about your “opinion”? Most definitely not.

If Theia does have major development problems, so what? I’m not out ANYTHING. Not even any time or effort wasted with a FOI request ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwr