New R7 owner from Houston Tx

swiftyz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased the R7 and came here hoping to get some info on settings I should use for my area. Currently, I mostly have Vortex's settings but today on my way to San Antonio from Houston there were several black SUVs marked as sheriff (could barely see the label) that gave out zero reading from my r7. Only reason I was able to find them was because waze alerted me. I will see you guys around and hopefully I will learn lot of things about the R7.

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

jcaptchaos2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome and you will love the R7

swiftyz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. No absolute answer to the black Tahoe’s but probably Gonzales sheriff department.

Im based in central Houston
Yeah I should've noted where they were located but I encountered at least 4 and none of them gave any readings. Thank god for waze and their users. The R7 did a great job detecting other police tho.

XDA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi Swiftyz, Houston here too.
I bet most likely those Tahoes simply were not emitting any radar when you went by. Occam's razor.
Welcome!

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@swiftyz , Welcome to the Forum from Tennessee !! Congrats on the R7. It is a great radar detector and strong performer.

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah I should've noted where they were located but I encountered at least 4 and none of them gave any readings. Thank god for waze and their users. The R7 did a great job detecting other police tho.
Here you go... Gonzalez Sheriff stealth Tahoe

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 2.28.26 PM.png

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased the R7 and came here hoping to get some info on settings I should use for my area. Currently, I mostly have Vortex's settings but today on my way to San Antonio from Houston there were several black SUVs marked as sheriff (could barely see the label) that gave out zero reading from my r7. Only reason I was able to find them was because waze alerted me. I will see you guys around and hopefully I will learn lot of things about the R7.
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find the R7 to be an excellent detector. Many of us use and trust its performance. As others mentioned, the cops weren't using radar at the time you saw them. If they had their radar on, the R7 would have let you know.
Take some time and read through the forum and join in the conversations. Be sure and ask questions. Lots of helpful folks here willing to help where they can.

GreyGhost37

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations from Central Texas! Nice detector....As is often stated by the RDF veterans much more experienced than me, a radar detector is just that, it detects radar not cops...✌️

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Another greeting from Houston. Yep, I saw that swine when I rolled through there two weeks ago. Your R7 is a fine RD and as others have said, probably didn't alert because they weren't transmitting.

Watch yourself approaching San Antonio. Gonzalez, Luling, Seguine. Like the troopers they're happy to IO you.

AM21

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Greetings from Lubbock! Great choice on the R7 I just picked up one recently as well. I have noticed quite a bit of cops in the Lubbock area that don't seem to be using radar when I run into them so they dont set the R7 off. Hopefully this is what was happening with your stealth vehicles you encountered. The default settings from vortex have worked great for me so far.. Pretty quiet around town and only a couple of BSM falses on K band.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronin