Hello from New Zealand

FlyingKiwi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi all, trying to do my best to keep my license intact through a number of measures, like keeping a closer eye on the limits, my speedo and trying not to be too forceful with the right foot. I don't want to become a flightless bird like most kiwi, so I think I need to add something else to the toolbox, that being a radar detector ;) Looks like I've come to the right place for some insight. Thanks for allowing me to join.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hello @FlyingKiwi and welcome aboard RDF! There are quite a few members on RDF from NZ who ae very knowledgeable and helpful regarding radar detectors and other counter measures.

Since you're in the market for a radar detector or other counter measures, fill in this form: https://www.rdforum.org/form/4/select

Completing it will start a new thread with your pre-filled information and allow members on RDF to make recommendations for you. Again, welcome aboard! 👍

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome, you certainly have come to the right place!

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi all, trying to do my best to keep my license intact through a number of measures, like keeping a closer eye on the limits, my speedo and trying not to be too forceful with the right foot. I don't want to become a flightless bird like most kiwi, so I think I need to add something else to the toolbox, that being a radar detector ;) Looks like I've come to the right place for some insight. Thanks for allowing me to join.
Welcome to the forum. Like stated before, lots of fellow NZ countrymen registered here. Fill out the form @jestric provided and that will help us help you. I will say, there's a member here that tunes detectors for threats faced where you are. @Mithheru has done a great job with detectors like the R7 and DFR9.
Look around and participate in the conversations. Don't be shy about asking questions either.

FlyingKiwi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks for the warm welcome. I've probably got a bit ahead of myself by diving in head first and buying a US R7 off the back of limited research. Sounds like it may be quite a learning curve for someone that hasn't really used a decent RD in the past, but I'm tech savvy and up for that challenge.

If I were to retrospectively answer a few of the questions in the form... I wouldn't say I'm a speed demon, but I do like to go hard through a twisty piece of country road, probably in areas unlikely to be heavily patrolled. My main risk is likely not being attentive to the speedo and drifting a little over the limit, both in rural and urban environments.

I live in New Plymouth and travel out of region maybe 2 or 3 times a month. No fixed cameras here that I know of, but vans are often seen (VW's of late), plus cars and hand held guns (not sure on the terminology).

The new (to me) car is a 2013 BMW M135i, so plenty of scope to get into trouble. I'll be retrofitting cruise to this one to help keep me out of it.

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@FlyingKiwi , Welcome to the Forum!! Congrats on the new R7. Hopefully it will not be too much of a learning curve. The Uniden R series detectors are strong performers and allow the user to make adjustments to the settings to allow you to "fine tune" the settings that work best for you. The R7 is a great radar detector.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silberwing