Ideal R7 settings for California

Infamous6i9

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Im pretty new with using detectors. Just picked up this R7 just trying to figure out what settings i should set. Im based in Los Angeles. But I frequently travel to Fresno (I5 @ 99) and Visalia (198). Thanks in Advance 👍🏻

fitz4321

Running With Scissors
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In the Bay Area I set KA to 2,4,5,6,8 and leave X & K off.
When outside of my know zone...
K on
K narrow
K filter on
TSF on
City mode
Quiet Ride 90
Quiet Ride volume 4

The above settings will give you an alert at city speeds if the slight chance of K popping up (unlikely), and keep the R7 from being an annoying chatter box. It should be noted that quiet ride does NOT affect KA band which is what 99% of the radar in California.
be careful of laser..... you’ll need better equipment then your R7 for that. Always run Waze or Highway Radar (Android only).

Last edited:

Infamous6i9

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
In the Bay Area I set KA to 2,4,5,6,8 and leave X & K off.
When outside of my know zone...
K on
K narrow
K filter on
TSF on
City mode
Quiet Ride 90
Quiet Ride volume 4

The above settings will give you an alert at city speeds if the slight chance of K popping up (unlikely), and keep the R7 from being an annoying chatter box. It should be noted that quiet ride does NOT affect KA band which is what 99% of the radar in California.
be careful of laser..... you’ll need better equipment then your R7 for that. Always run Waze or Highway Radar (Android only).
Thank you for that reply sir. I will check on that aswell to see how it goes. What did you mean by City Mode? Is that what u set it up on with those settings?

fitz4321

Running With Scissors
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you for that reply sir. I will check on that aswell to see how it goes. What did you mean by City Mode? Is that what u set it up on with those settings?
The 3 modes are City, advanced and highway. City brings K band sensitivity down to approximately 18%, which is plenty for the unlikely K band encounter in California. I'd bet you drive for a year and never see a legit K band. If you do it will be in the city which City mode will likely detect in time to slow down. California is almost all KA band.
Go down the rabbit hole on the R7 threads and in the Pacific section of the forum....... I guarantee every question you have has been answered.

Infamous6i9

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The 3 modes are City, advanced and highway. City brings K band sensitivity down to approximately 18%, which is plenty for the unlikely K band encounter in California. I'd bet you drive for a year and never see a legit K band. If you do it will be in the city which City mode will likely detect in time to slow down. California is almost all KA band.
Go down the rabbit hole on the R7 threads and in the Pacific section of the forum....... I guarantee every question you have has been answered.
Ok thanks again. I guess I have a lot of reading to do. Thanks again

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I leave K band off in California now, but I do like the idea of setting quiet ride to a high enough speed that it's not annoying by continually chirping to BSMs and door openers by the freeway.

I also second the need to have Waze or Highway Radar running, since CHP is really fond of laser, and the R7 won't help against that.

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
X off
K off
Ka band Segmentation: 4,5,6,8

No need for anything else IMO

Infamous6i9

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I leave K band off in California now, but I do like the idea of setting quiet ride to a high enough speed that it's not annoying by continually chirping to BSMs and door openers by the freeway.

I also second the need to have Waze or Highway Radar running, since CHP is really fond of laser, and the R7 won't help against that.
Thanks for the tip
Post automatically merged:

X off
K off
Ka band Segmentation: 4,5,6,8

No need for anything else IMO
alright. For now still playing with mine. I used vortex suggestion but will try others who made suggestions here

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frjohn