Radar Detector Recommendation for Arnieduke

Arnieduke

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
Subaru WRX

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield

What's your budget?
$500

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

How do you drive?
usually about 20-25 km/h over limit

What is your daily drive like?
90% highway

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?
6 months

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?
mostly flat

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
Yes

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
Yes

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
No

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
Unsure

If you have any preconceived notions or thoughts about RDs, please tell us how long you've been using RDs or other units? etc. -- or any other relevant info you think might be important, let us know that as well.
Uniden R3 for last six months

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
Subaru WRX

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield

What's your budget?
$500

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

How do you drive?
usually about 20-25 km/h over limit

What is your daily drive like?
90% highway

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?
6 months

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?
mostly flat

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
Yes

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
Yes

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
No

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
Unsure

If you have any preconceived notions or thoughts about RDs, please tell us how long you've been using RDs or other units? etc. -- or any other relevant info you think might be important, let us know that as well.
Uniden R3 for last six months
If you like the R3, you'll love the R7. It can be found for $450-$500,so that's in your stated budget. The ability to adjust the rear sensitivity differently than the front is a great feature. The arrows and a nice display are great too. And, though it's taken longer than expected to get automatic lockouts finished, it is coming.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the R7. You may want to read up about the other threats you face in your area. I do not envy you!

Arnieduke

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I looked at the R7 over the R3 and wondering whether the upgrade would be justified. So far, the R3 has already saved me many times from cops using KA band units and some K band, too. I'm not ready to spend the big bucks for laser detection units. As soon as the R3 goes off, it's brake time anyway, no matter where it comes from, so the added directional alerts are a convenience feature at best. I can live with the few false positives I get. The cheapest R7 I found was on eBay going for almost $600 Canadian.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You have a very good point! When I upgraded from my R3, it was for many features, not just arrows.

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I looked at the R7 over the R3 and wondering whether the upgrade would be justified. So far, the R3 has already saved me many times from cops using KA band units and some K band, too. I'm not ready to spend the big bucks for laser detection units. As soon as the R3 goes off, it's brake time anyway, no matter where it comes from, so the added directional alerts are a convenience feature at best. I can live with the few false positives I get. The cheapest R7 I found was on eBay going for almost $600 Canadian.
People tend to assume that "$" is USD, so Canadian pricing may not have been factored in when talking about the R7. For under $500 CAD you may already have your winner.

If you haven't tried a detector with arrows, I'd highly recommend giving it a try at some point in the future. The extra level of awareness is much more than just a convenience. But certainly OK to wait a while on that. You have a very good detector that's one of the best values in the industry right now.

Arnieduke

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So, after reading a lot of the postings here I checked all the settings again on my R3 and noticed that MRCD was actually turned off. I drive through Fort Saskatchewan every morning and noticed the detection is quite spotty. Often the R3 reports MRCD super late and all of a sudden at full signal strength. Standing at a red light, it will detect nothing, then MRCD signal up and down, then it disappears. I have read that the R3 is hit or miss on MRCD. I'm considering switching to either an R7 or a Pro M. Suggestions for Edmonton/Fort Sask/St. Albert area and rural?

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
ProM tor the MRCD HANDS DOWN !!

It is also quite a good Highway Detector BUT
R3 / R7 will admittedly get much more distance and sensitivity.

For your MRCD Pro M and R3/R7 for Highway !!

Good Luck on your choice(s)

Benzr

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
ProM tor the MRCD HANDS DOWN !!

It is also quite a good Highway Detector BUT
R3 / R7 will admittedly get much more distance and sensitivity.

For your MRCD Pro M and R3/R7 for Highway !!

Good Luck on your choice(s)

Benzr
While what you said is completely true, testing by @Heywood has shown the R7 isn't bad at detecting MCRD. It gave ample warning. While it's not going to beat the Pro M in MRCD detection, the R7 is good at it, plus you get the range, sensitivity and arrows to go with it.

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
While what you said is completely true, testing by @Heywood has shown the R7 isn't bad at detecting MCRD. It gave ample warning. While it's not going to beat the Pro M in MRCD detection, the R7 is good at it, plus you get the range, sensitivity and arrows to go with it.
Isn’t the Redline 360 also a worthy contender now in MRCD detection with the latest firmware update?

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Isn’t the Redline 360 also a worthy contender now in MRCD detection with the latest firmware update?
I'm not sure if @Heywood has checked it with the newer firmware. However, the OP mentioned his budget is up to $500. The RL360c, at $750, won't ever be that inexpensive.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for that my friend AND DULY NOTED !!

👍👍👍👍👍😎😎😎😎😎

Benzr
Post automatically merged:

R7 would be my recommendation
Based on what @RadarScout says and his testing that is my " REVISED " recommendation

See my post "An ode to R7 " 1 and 2.

Greeeeat Detector !!

Benzr

Last edited:

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well.... the R7 would be the best choice overall for the price point of what the OP needs and is willing to spend.

The R3 is no slouch with K and Ka. For MRCD detection.... TSF has to be off. TSF absolutely kills its detection.

Unfortunately.... both Uniden’s alert all modulated radar as MRCD. They can do it... but it’s one alert for all of them.

Ft. Sask has 3 or 4 RLC’s if your coming up 21. 2 if you coming in off Manning.

They use to do photo radar in front of Dow. Sneaky way to do it. They still might.

Park a pickup in the north ditch in front of Dow.... and shoot people driving east towards Scotford out the back through the camper slider window.

They did that with a Jeep Cherokee as well... but out the rear smoked side widow opened a crack. They’d sit in the back seat. You would think it was empty because there was no one sitting in the front seats... and you could see that since the front windows are not tinted. You would figure someone was picking bottles and parked in the ditch...... well no. Not the case.

I don’t think the R360C isn’t available in Canada yet. It’s also way above the OP’s budget, but shows great promise now with FW 1.6.

The R-EX is a hot mess and hasn’t had an update in over a year..... coming up on 2.

Max 360C is pretty good at MRCD. Better than the Uniden’s, but not as good as the R3 or R7 against K and Ka..... which the Op needs in that neck of the woods.

As for MRCT RLC’s.... I wouldn’t worry about it .... on any of them. None are that good at it.... but it doesn’t really matter as 97% of them are in the RLC database.

So considering where the OP is driving.... and I know that area really well as I’ve worked at all those refineries in that area since 1999.... off and on... and he has an R3... the closest and best next step would be the R7.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The Pro-M is the standard for modulated radar.... very quiet, almost the best..... but, above the op’s budget and lacks the range and options of the R7.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garlandbob