Uniden R3 - Just one person's first impressions

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I first got a DFR9 about 2 years ago and it has worked well for me. I gave that to my then girlfriend and bought a R3 when it was on sale. I did testing, and the R3 reacted to legit Ka band roughly 2-3 seconds sooner than the DFR9. That being said, if I was on a strict budget I wouldn't hesitate to go with the DFR9. The DFR9 actually has a more modern interface than the R3 with active photo dimming versus GPS/time-based dimming.

My problem with the R3 now is the BSM from FCA vehicles. The DFR9 had issues with Cadillac's BSM system. But the FCA 24.160/24.167 BSM is the worst. Even with K-band set down to 40%-50%, when a Jeep Cherokee or Ram 1500 is alongside, the K-band is blaring. K-Filter does nothing, and neither does TSF.

K Narrow gets rid of the falses from grocery stores/7-elevens. I once enabled K-Wide and set K to 40% to see what would happen, and driving by a 7 Eleven sounded like I was getting blasted by Instant-On K-band.

I'd like to give the R7 a try but Amazon recently sold me a $0.99 woman's hair tie with a Raechel Ray 10-piece pot set barcode covered by a Uniden R7 barcode. This was sold and shipped by Amazon, NOT a 3rd party marketplace seller. I sent the item back for a refund, so I am awaiting their response. I had already reported this but their overseas customer service is worse than worthless.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I first got a DFR9 about 2 years ago and it has worked well for me. I gave that to my then girlfriend and bought a R3 when it was on sale. I did testing, and the R3 reacted to legit Ka band roughly 2-3 seconds sooner than the DFR9. That being said, if I was on a strict budget I wouldn't hesitate to go with the DFR9. The DFR9 actually has a more modern interface than the R3 with active photo dimming versus GPS/time-based dimming.

My problem with the R3 now is the BSM from FCA vehicles. The DFR9 had issues with Cadillac's BSM system. But the FCA 24.160/24.167 BSM is the worst. Even with K-band set down to 40%-50%, when a Jeep Cherokee or Ram 1500 is alongside, the K-band is blaring. K-Filter does nothing, and neither does TSF.

K Narrow gets rid of the falses from grocery stores/7-elevens. I once enabled K-Wide and set K to 40% to see what would happen, and driving by a 7 Eleven sounded like I was getting blasted by Instant-On K-band.

I'd like to give the R7 a try but Amazon recently sold me a $0.99 woman's hair tie with a Raechel Ray 10-piece pot set barcode covered by a Uniden R7 barcode. This was sold and shipped by Amazon, NOT a 3rd party marketplace seller. I sent the item back for a refund, so I am awaiting their response. I had already reported this but their overseas customer service is worse than worthless.
You need to try 1.37 FW for your R3. IMHO 1.37 is better overall at BSM filtering than the current 1.54 that I am running.

GTO_04

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49