New member from New Zealand

R3NZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Weighing up whether to purchase the TPS-3.0 or the Uniden R3.... using a US version of the R3 looks problematic in New Zealand.

How easy is it to convert/update a US R3 for use in New Zealand?

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Weighing up whether to purchase the TPS-3.0 or the Uniden R3.... using a US version of the R3 looks problematic in New Zealand.

How easy is it to convert/update a US R3 for use in New Zealand?
Welcome to the forum. There's actually a member here that does NZ conversions. Check him out in the NZ section of the forum.
BTW, the R3 is a phenomenal detector.

R3NZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Not quite sure how to contact Mithheru, pitty he doesn't have a website or email address. Keen to purchase a Uniden R3 (US version) but only if it can be converted

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not quite sure how to contact Mithheru, pitty he doesn't have a website or email address. Keen to purchase a Uniden R3 (US version) but only if it can be converted
The way to get a member's attention is to put the @ symbol in front of their name.
@Mithheru
They will see someone mentioned them because a red number shows up next to the bell in the page heading.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Okay, I get the message. Sorry I've been super busy lately. I've just started work on a new R7 International version!

R3 currently has the K band limited to 24.050 at the bottom end. Fixing this is on my to do list, and I think it will happen eventually, either by myself or Uniden in the US. However, converting to NZ gps and my bespoke R3forNZ firmware (with 'K Narrow (NZ)' & 2.22 NZ GPS) is something I can definitely do for you. However, if you can stretch your budget the R7 is the way to go.

Have you also considered the DFR9? You can either import your own one or buy one of mine already set up. I would charge NZ$100 to upgrade an imported DFR9 to me DFR9forNZ spec.. The tuning is a bit fiddly, and my revised firmware is not out on release. This has been optimised for K band in NZ and is also excellent on Ka band, and has the same gps chip as R3 and R7.

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

R3NZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Okay, I get the message. Sorry I've been super busy lately. I've just started work on a new R7 International version!

R3 currently has the K band limited to 24.050 at the bottom end. Fixing this is on my to do list, and I think it will happen eventually, either by myself or Uniden in the US. However, converting to NZ gps and my bespoke R3forNZ firmware (with 'K Narrow (NZ)' & 2.22 NZ GPS) is something I can definitely do for you. However, if you can stretch your budget the R7 is the way to go.

Have you also considered the DFR9? You can either import your own one or buy one of mine already set up. I would charge NZ$100 to upgrade an imported DFR9 to me DFR9forNZ spec.. The tuning is a bit fiddly, and my revised firmware is not out on release. This has been optimised for K band in NZ and is also excellent on Ka band, and has the same gps chip as R3 and R7.
Hi, I'm interested in the R3 over the R7 due to it's size, it'll be fitted on my Motorcycle as well as my car, the R7 is to bulky to fit to a KTM Super Duke. I also thought the later model R3 would be better than the older DFR9 due to it updated mounting bracket.

Is the limited K band of the R3 really an issue for the Canterbury area?

All in all, I was originally looking at a Adaptix TPS 3.0, but it seems to be considerably limited/weaker device for the $$

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in the R3 over the R7 due to it's size, it'll be fitted on my Motorcycle as well as my car, the R7 is to bulky to fit to a KTM Super Duke. I also thought the later model R3 would be better than the older DFR9 due to it updated mounting bracket.

Is the limited K band of the R3 really an issue for the Canterbury area?

All in all, I was originally looking at a Adaptix TPS 3.0, but it seems to be considerably limited/weaker device for the $$
The adaptix 3.0 maybe great for motorcycles, but for range it is pretty terrible, when we tested it a few years ago it performed on par or worse than a Cobra we had.
If you want arrows + redflex detection get the R7, it is not that much bigger than the R3.
Another option is the V1 Gen2, great paired with a phone, and good size for a bike.

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@R3NZ, Welcome to the Forum!! The R3 is a solid performer and a great detector.

Pedro K

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Hi Mithheru do you sell the R3 in New Zealand ?

cheeers Pete

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwr