New Car Dealer Says No To Install

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
They're FOS.
It can only void warranty on something that the install causes.

In any case, install it yourself with a fuse tap or something else easily removable. Heck, a mirror tap may be just the thing as you can remove that with ease.

I'd find another dealer while you're at it too. People install aftermarket crap all the time. A big one are snowplows on trucks in my neck of the woods. None of the dealers here will void a warranty for a plow install unless it actually causes whatever problem they're supposed to be fixing.

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Dealer said it would void my new car warranty if they or me hardwired the detector into my car.
Lawl tell them to duck off.

Post automatically merged:

They're FOS.

In any case, install it yourself with a fuse tap or something else easily removable. Heck, a mirror tap may be just the thing as you can remove that with ease.

I'd find another dealer while you're at it too. People install aftermarket crap all the time. A big one are snowplows on trucks in my neck of the woods. None of the dealers here will void a warranty for a plow install unless it actually causes whatever problem they're supposed to be fixing.
Beat me by a second... Lawl!

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Tell yhe installer yhat. Make no obvious modifications, limit the tie straps, and only use existing screws for the mounts and grounds.

NOTE :: IF DISCOVERED .. this will INVALIDATE
YOUR CAR WARRANTY and I do NOT RECOMMEND NOR CONDONE any such actions.

Relatively sure many have done that.

Your car Your Choice Your Warranty Your decision.

B

LukeWes

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My last car was a GM and I had I high end stereo shop install my V1G1a few years ago and it did create problems.
Whenever I ran thru a car wash, it was like it was not running on all 8 cylinders etc...
They did a lot of troubleshooting before realizing I had V1 hardwired in. They threw a fit so I had it uninstalled and the problems went away. Go figure.
I guess I was hoping if the dealer installed and there was an issue, they would take care of it.
I have been calling around to different dealers and they are all saying the same thing.

Tell yhe installer yhat. Make no obvious modifications, limit the tie straps, and only use existing screws for the mounts and grounds.

NOTE :: IF DISCOVERED .. this will INVALIDATE
YOUR CAR WARRANTY and I do NOT RECOMMEND NOR CONDONE any such actions.

Relatively sure many have done that.

Your car Your Choice Your Warranty Your decision.

B
They're FOS.

They're FOS.

They (dealer) agree with what you are saying, but if a problem comes up i'm basically screwed etc...

Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, the easiest answer is always "No". There shouldn't be any problems honestly. I've installed tons of stuff in cars over the years, including national SPL competition stereos and have never had any issues messing up cars. As long as it's installed properly, you won't have a problem.

Easy Target

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Who is telling you this at the dealer?
Is it the sales guy, the sales manager, the service manager?

bkayrac

:(
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The magnussen moss act only applies if you can afford to enforce it in court btw.

That said, use an add a fuse, don't cut any wires, and you'll be fine.

LukeWes

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

poolmon

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I had an Acura dealer indicate that it would not install such a system and suggested I take it to a professional installer of aftermarket electronics equipment. They did not say that it would void the warranty but just that they don't install such non-manufacturer supplied electronic equipment.

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Never ever discuss mods for a new car under warranty with a dealership or so i say stealership. if asked - you know nothing... must have happened at the factory or dealership...

you need find a third-party for the install and you should study up so you have a working knowledge of how it should be done.

Last edited:

Cannonf600

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have helped several friends with hardwiring radar detectors and other accessories. On newer vehicles the easiest and safest place to connect to is a power point. This will not void any warranty and provides fused protection.

The body control module on most newer vehicles will time out and turn your RD off when the ignition is turned off. The rear view mirror is also a option on some vehicles. 3M t-taps work well for low amperage accessories and can be easily removed.

Easy Target

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well, if the service manager did not specify that it would only void damage caused by the installation of said device, he basically lied to you. So if a valve spring breaks in your engine, or a ball joint fails, they can't void the warranty because you hardwired a radar detector.

I'd tell the sales manager that the deal is off as the service manager is not willing to abide by the Magnuson Moss act and you are now questioning the dealership's overall ethics.

Do you really like that dealer that much?

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Find another dealer - tell this one you are bringing your business for repairs to another place and buying a car elsewhere, fill out their surveys with all negatives (until they pull the scam where they don't send them to you, but create a new e-mail that some employee fills out for them).

We brought our VW to a dealer near work for TSB/recall items and 1 emissions warranty issue (new cats). We did not buy from this dealer and know the owner at the one we did buy it from - but this one was close and saved time.

They threatened to not fix the sunroof or electronics under warranty for the hardwired detector - water was leaking from the sunroof on the dash and some electronics needed to be replaced.

When they called in a threatening manner - I told them not to touch it and went over to pick it up and they changed their tune very quickly when I got to the service desk. They had about a $4,000 recall job that they had already started. I told them to give or send me something in writing that the warranty was still in effect, or to put the exhaust back on and we were headed to a new dealer. I got an e-mail and call from the service manager that the Tech was incorrect (they always blame the Tech or MFG) and that everything would be taken care of that day, warranty is of course fine.

6 month later the water pump went and VW had to tow it under warranty. We told them to take it to our preferred dealer 45 miles away, but this 2nd dealer was 5 miles down the road. VW really wanted to bring it to the 2nd dealer, when they called us we told them that we would never buy another VW if they brought it there. They paid for it to be towed to our preferred dealer, even though our towing ended 2 weeks before the incident.

Working with dealers and having family companies that were/are in the business I have a lot of these stories. This is the best one I remember:

We got a brand new explorer brought to the collision shop in the early 90s. it had less than 300 miles in it and was wrecked taking it home from the dealership. We bought it and put an entire new cab on top and took it as a family vehicle. 6 months later the transmission starts acting up and we bring it to the dealer to be fixed under warranty. We bought all our Ford parts from this dealer and spent a lot of money with them, father knew everyone well. So we had taken picture of it wrecked and fixed up, some were in the glovebox. My father gets a call and they tell him that they found the pictures and that Ford is refusing to fix it under warranty. He is not happy and tells me to get into the car as we are picking it up. We get there and its all fixed - they know we could have fixed it also and only brought it there under warranty. At this point my father is even less happy. They looked through our car, deep in the glovebox and fixed it without our approval. they want $2,000 for us to take the vehicle. My father said get Ford on the phone and the service manager looks very surprised and starts dropping the price. Went from $2,000 to $1,500 to $1,000. All my dad said each time they threw out a number was "please get Ford on the phone". The service manager gets someone from Ford and he just walks away and goes outside, I am barely old enough to drive and it all seemed very surreal to me - until Ford starts talking to my dad. They said Mr, we are not sure what the problem is. We approved that warranty repair on the vehicle a few days ago?? No one could find the service manager at that point. We got the keys and the warranty repair form from someone else and were on our way.

I have another one from this spring with Audi and a new RS car, but I will save that for another thread.

TLDR: Dealership told us warranty was void and were trying to get us to pay in addition to Ford paying the same warranty. They did this to someone who has significant dealer and car business experience - what do you think the dealers try to do to the average joe? Some are good, but some cannot be trusted. Find a dealer that works with you, if you can

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Find another dealer - tell this one you are bringing your business for repairs to another place and buying a car elsewhere, fill out their surveys with all negatives (until they pull the scam where they don't send them to you, but create a new e-mail that some employee fills out for them).

We brought our VW to a dealer near work for TSB/recall items and 1 emissions warranty issue (new cats). We did not buy from this dealer and know the owner at the one we did buy it from - but this one was close and saved time.

They threatened to not fix the sunroof or electronics under warranty for the hardwired detector - water was leaking from the sunroof on the dash and some electronics needed to be replaced.

When they called in a threatening manner - I told them not to touch it and went over to pick it up and they changed their tune very quickly when I got to the service desk. They had about a $4,000 recall job that they had already started. I told them to give or send me something in writing that the warranty was still in effect, or to put the exhaust back on and we were headed to a new dealer. I got an e-mail and call from the service manager that the Tech was incorrect (they always blame the Tech or MFG) and that everything would be taken care of that day, warranty is of course fine.

6 month later the water pump went and VW had to tow it under warranty. We told them to take it to our preferred dealer 45 miles away, but this 2nd dealer was 5 miles down the road. VW really wanted to bring it to the 2nd dealer, when they called us we told them that we would never buy another VW if they brought it there. They paid for it to be towed to our preferred dealer, even though our towing ended 2 weeks before the incident.

Working with dealers and having family companies that were/are in the business I have a lot of these stories. This is the best one I remember:

We got a brand new explorer brought to the collision shop in the early 90s. it had less than 300 miles in it and was wrecked taking it home from the dealership. We bought it and put an entire new cab on top and took it as a family vehicle. 6 months later the transmission starts acting up and we bring it to the dealer to be fixed under warranty. We bought all our Ford parts from this dealer and spent a lot of money with them, father knew everyone well. So we had taken picture of it wrecked and fixed up, some were in the glovebox. My father gets a call and they tell him that they found the pictures and that Ford is refusing to fix it under warranty. He is not happy and tells me to get into the car as we are picking it up. We get there and its all fixed - they know we could have fixed it also and only brought it there under warranty. At this point my father is even less happy. They looked through our car, deep in the glovebox and fixed it without our approval. they want $2,000 for us to take the vehicle. My father said get Ford on the phone and the service manager looks very surprised and starts dropping the price. Went from $2,000 to $1,500 to $1,000. All my dad said each time they threw out a number was "please get Ford on the phone". The service manager gets someone from Ford and he just walks away and goes outside, I am barely old enough to drive and it all seemed very surreal to me - until Ford starts talking to my dad. They said Mr, we are not sure what the problem is. We approved that warranty repair on the vehicle a few days ago?? No one could find the service manager at that point. We got the keys and the warranty repair form from someone else and were on our way.

I have another one from this spring with Audi and a new RS car, but I will save that for another thread.

TLDR: Dealership told us warranty was void and were trying to get us to pay in addition to Ford paying the same warranty. They did this to someone who has significant dealer and car business experience - what do you think the dealers try to do to the average joe? Some are good, but some cannot be trusted. Find a dealer that works with you, if you can
FED9E929-BF3E-4750-B654-C5074268C76D.png

CheatDay2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

tell me about the Audi? I have an Audi? Lol

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads