Why is K Wide by default?

Leadfut

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Got a Uniden R3 around Christmastime, still learning about it. I noticed the K-Wide / K-Narrow menu item defaults to K-Wide. I guess that is because they sell the R3 all over the world and don't want anyone to get in trouble running the default settings? But if that's the case, why is X-band completely off by default (X-band is still used in NJ and OH as far as I know)?

The description makes it sound like there's absolutely no reason to use K-Wide if you live in the USA: "K Narrow scans for K radar guns used in the US only and reduces false alarms."

Now, their sentence structure is a little weird here - I guess if there are K band guns which are used in the US and outside the US which are in the extended part of the band, then setting the unit to K-Narrow is a risk. But if they mean what I think they mean (that the K-Narrow setting covers all of the radars used in the US and only skips parts of the band where you will never find a K-radar operating in the US) then why shouldn't I run K-Narrow all the time?

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Got a Uniden R3 around Christmastime, still learning about it. I noticed the K-Wide / K-Narrow menu item defaults to K-Wide. I guess that is because they sell the R3 all over the world and don't want anyone to get in trouble running the default settings? But if that's the case, why is X-band completely off by default (X-band is still used in NJ and OH as far as I know)?

The description makes it sound like there's absolutely no reason to use K-Wide if you live in the USA: "K Narrow scans for K radar guns used in the US only and reduces false alarms."

Now, their sentence structure is a little weird here - I guess if there are K band guns which are used in the US and outside the US which are in the extended part of the band, then setting the unit to K-Narrow is a risk. But if they mean what I think they mean (that the K-Narrow setting covers all of the radars used in the US and only skips parts of the band where you will never find a K-radar operating in the US) then why shouldn't I run K-Narrow all the time?
On my R7, I use K wide because there's a lot of K band used in my city and many others around me. The ranges have been from 24.0xx to 24.20x. I'm pretty sure that's wider than the K narrow. In NY, they seem to have a bunch of out of tune guns, so K wide is used there as well. To be K wide from the manufacturer tells me they are covering a large span to make sure you're protected, while giving you the choice of going narrow if it's not needed. But, in some areas, like larger cities, K narrow helps reduce K falsing.
As far as X band goes, it's a unicorn unless you're in Ohio or South NJ, so it comes in the off position, while allowing you to decide if you need it. I was all excited when I got an X band shot when visiting my wife's sister just outside of Cleveland.
Hope that helps.

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Maybe X is off because X guns are far less common than a K gun on the fringes K wide. Here on RDF "X off" is common , yet caution is recommended with the use of K narrow.

Last edited:

NOTKTS

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I run K wide in NY on my R's. Drifter guns are upstate. I am upstate often. Pull off the NY State Thruway 87 from constant on Ka and then hit a smaller town off of it and yuck!!! I am also afraid now that low power guns are coming from what I read here. They are cheaper and that's becoming a selling point.

Last edited:

Jamienbaker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I run K wide in NY on my R's. Drifter guns are upstate. I am upstate often. Pull off the NY State Thruway 87 from constant on Ka and then hit a smaller town off of it and yuck!!! I am also afraid now that low power guns are coming from what I read here. They are cheaper and that's becoming a selling point.
Unsure if this is any help, but Catskill, Greene County and Windham K's are all in-tune, so in those places you should be comfortable running K Narrow.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frjohn