BlackVue DR900X motion detection issue

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Since I purchased and installed a BlackVue DR900X-2CH/CM100LTE I have had an ongoing problem with false parking mode motion detection alerts. These false alerts only occur during sunrise & sunset transition hours. At other times there are no false alerts. The parking mode motion Sensitivity is set to ONE (the lowest setting without being turned off). Additionally only the bottom 8/16th (1/2) of the “select detection region” is selected for both front and rear cameras as to avoid changes in sunlight from windows.

The car is parked in a private garage with little activity. The windows face west (note, the false alerts occur both in the AM sunrise when sunlight is indirect and PM sunset when sunlight is direct). Recently during sunrise I received 20 false alerts in 20 minutes (one per minute) and 54 false alerts in 54 minutes during sunset both on a rainy overcast day with no direct light.

I contacted BlackVue tech support and at first they suggested that this is “normal” due to the way their motion detection works (comparing frames of video). My response to that was that the motion detection monitoring feature was a material inducement to purchase a DR900X-2CH/CM100LTE which is a substantial financial investment well in excess of the cost of competitors’ dashcams. As such I do not believe I have received what I have paid for. It should not be “normal” that even at it’s lowest sensitivity setting I should receive > 70 false motion alerts per day.

During the BlackVue tech support process they had me reinstall the camera’s firmware. I did. The issue still remains.

I wondered if I was alone in experiencing this problem and checked Facebook’s BlackVue Owners Group page and saw a recent post from an owner of a DR900X experiencing the same issue (link and photo attached).

Anyone else experiencing this? There are lower-cost / higher video quality dashcams on the market. The reason I paid a premium for BlackVue is I expected the feature set to actually work.

Attachments

• IMG_4768.PNG
    IMG_4768.PNG
    768.4 KB · Views: 25

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you have a video clip showing the false alert so we could see what's triggering it?

Every dashcam I've ever tested will have some unwanted recordings with motion detection. Maybe it's lighting changes, the rain, trees, blowing, cars going by, etc. Even sometimes when there's no motion I sometimes see my Blackvue's recording too. Not sure why, but it's one reason why I mostly focus on impact detection (which only falses to things like loud vehicles driving by) and let motion detection be more of a backup/secondary method.

70 detections does seem like a lot though and so I wonder if looking at the video you can see what might be triggering your dashcam.

FWIW, I sometimes see my DR900S or DR750S recording in my garage for a bit and not properly switching back into parking mode.

I really wish there was one perfect dashcam that did everything well with no quirks at all, but there really isn't one that I've found. Sometimes it seems harder to find a perfect dashcam than it is a perfect radar detector.

So just another data point to consider when setting expectations.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Do you have a video clip showing the false alert so we could see what's triggering it?

Every dashcam I've ever tested will have some unwanted recordings with motion detection. Maybe it's lighting changes, the rain, trees, blowing, cars going by, etc. Even sometimes when there's no motion I sometimes see my Blackvue's recording too. Not sure why, but it's one reason why I mostly focus on impact detection (which only falses to things like loud vehicles driving by) and let motion detection be more of a backup/secondary method.

70 detections does seem like a lot though and so I wonder if looking at the video you can see what might be triggering your dashcam.

FWIW, I sometimes see my DR900S or DR750S recording in my garage for a bit and not properly switching back into parking mode.

I really wish there was one perfect dashcam that did everything well with no quirks at all, but there really isn't one that I've found. Sometimes it seems harder to find a perfect dashcam than it is a perfect radar detector.

So just another data point to consider when setting expectations.
Yes, all good points. I have clips. Two YouTube links are below, both front and back during an alert (sunrise).

Interestingly, during the course of four separate emails BlackVue tech support never asked to see example videos. I would think that would be informative to them. Oh well.

I understand that the DR900X is simply comparing one frame of video to the next. If that is triggering too many false alerts (54 in 54 minutes) even at the lowest possible sensitivity setting and reduced detection region it seems to me that the threshold for change (luminance, chrominance, etc.), or the region of change (how many pixels), or the duration for change (maybe multiple frames instead of one) needs to be considered. If I were triggering 54 alerts in 54 minutes at the most sensitive setting I could understand why the problem was occurring, but not at the least sensitive setting.

Rear
Front

Attachments

• IMG_4749.PNG
    IMG_4749.PNG
    460.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4750.PNG
    IMG_4750.PNG
    467.4 KB · Views: 23

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This looks like almost the exact same thing I occasionally experience in my garage. I even sent my DR750S in for service and it came back still doing this. I honestly don’t know what’s causing it, but if you figure it out eventually, I’d love to know too.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deags