How did Whistler Radar lose its way?

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
True about good signal processing. Today its the chops of the programmer that improves receivers. 2 exact same FPGAs can do vastly different things and then software changes things again. With the Whistler CR97 and 95 it seems like the code for the FDSR feature needed more lines but they were at a price point for whatever processor is in there and it was truncated. Seems as if it was almost there if it had a better processor. Still fun to use. If I see the FDSR on the display I watch my speed realizing its seeing something.
FDSR is the reason why the Whistlers now mix up K band with KA Band. All my Whistlers prior to the addition of FDSR including my CR85 with TFSR but no FDSR do not band confuse and actually have pretty good bsm filtering. After FDSR was added it fell apart.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My 1770A did me great back in the day.

Features included:
  • Voice message broadcast of National Weather Service alerts
  • VG2 cloaking
  • Real voice alerts
  • High-visibility text display
  • 360-degree total perimeter protection
  • All band protection
  • High-visibility text display
  • Safety warning system

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I suspect the next high end Whistler will have a LNA.

I doubt there are any plans for a high end Whistler. They seem to be set up for mid priced only units.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I doubt there are any plans for a high end Whistler. They seem to be set up for mid priced only units.
You're probably right @Freebird , but I would love it if they come out with a newer version of the CR97 with the confusion issues fixed and some more off axis dialed in. I'd be in for one! I'd love to have one for a change of pace and for testing!

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You're probably right @Freebird , but I would love it if they come out with a newer version of the CR97 with the confusion issues fixed and some more off axis dialed in. I'd be in for one!

I'm sure there are a lot of us myself included who would love to see Whistler release a top tier unit that could go head to head with the best that we have available today. I just sadly don't think that it will ever happen.

Smirnoff

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Some continue to think they are the smartest in the room. . . ...even when the ship sinks, happens everyday.

200.gif

NOTKTS

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I updated the redlight database on my CR97 and put it in the car. I did a reset and set it up with k filter 0 / Ka 1 / FDSR/ City from all of our experiments and it wasn't bad at all. It displayed a ka and I noticed it ramped up evenly...and in my rear view mirror a way bit back I see a NYS trooper just keeping up with traffic using C/O. Kind of surprised because it isn't supposed to be too good picking up rear shots but this was nice. Maybe it was bouncing off all the cars behind me but still not bad. The database seems really good for NY and its free. Hoping for a new model but Whistler seems to release incremental changes every few years.

yellowtibby

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Man, all this Whistler talk makes me wanna throw up my CR97 again! Time do dust it off out of the closet.

RoadDogg

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You're probably right @Freebird , but I would love it if they come out with a newer version of the CR97 with the confusion issues fixed and some more off axis dialed in. I'd be in for one! I'd love to have one for a change of pace and for testing!
Me too. I would also want a specific frequency display in addition to having the K/Ka confusion issues fixed. As @Freebird stated, a top tier detector and a top performer from Whistler more than likely may/will not happen, but who knows. Maybe Whistler will shock us and introduce something new and moderately or significantly better than the CR95/CR97 series....Time will tell.

yellowtibby

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Me too. I would also want a specific frequency display in addition to having the K/Ka confusion issues fixed. As @Freebird stated, a top tier detector and a top performer from Whistler more than likely may/will not happen, but who knows. Maybe Whistler will shock us and introduce something new and moderately or significantly better than the CR95/CR97 series....Time will tell.
Whistler might make a top end detector. I mean look at Uniden, for a while pre LRD series, they had the crappiest detectors around. I remember in the 90s and early 2000s they would sell terrible RDs at Radio Shack, then they stepped it up, and started selling LRD, DFR, R series and completely took the RD world by surprise. I'm hoping Whistler does the same.

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Whistler might make a top end detector. I mean look at Uniden, for a while pre LRD series, they had the crappiest detectors around. I remember in the 90s and early 2000s they would sell terrible RDs at Radio Shack, then they stepped it up, and started selling LRD, DFR, R series and completely took the RD world by surprise. I'm hoping Whistler does the same.
I remember during the mid 90s I had a cheap Whistler and my father had a cheap Uniden. For $50 the Whistler did pretty good and my dad was jealous. Lol

It was simpler back then. No BSM garbage to deal with. Hopefully Whistler can come back like Uniden has.

Radario

Vendor
Beginner User
Reaction score
Back in the 90s and early 2000s they made inexpensive yet great detectors in my opinion. You could find them at Walmart, Radio Shack and most electronics stores.

These days the company seems like it's dead. So what went wrong? Is there an inside story to this? Did their engineers leave? Did R&D money dry up? I'd like to hear your stories and opinions.
How did Whistler "loose" it's way? They failed to stay "tight".
They could win again and they could LOSE again.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
20DuramaxDenaliL5P