V1 gen2 pairing and upgrade from v1 gen 1

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been using my V1 gen 1 with 3.872 for a long time now, probably 11 years or so. I was thinking of getting the V1 Gen 2 now but had a question about the bluetooth and pairing before I make a switch.

If I have an iPhone and I have bluetooth already enabled on the phone and get in my car and the V1 Gen 2 powered up, will it automatically connect for a seamless setup with whatever app I choose or do I have to search for the v1 gen 2 each time and pair with it?

Also for those who have come from the V1 gen 1, have you noticed a vast improvement in detection with respect to K and Ka band?

Finally, if I choose not to use my phone with the V1 gen 2 is there anything I would miss or can I use it standalone still like I did with my v1 gen 1?

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been using my V1 gen 1 with 3.872 for a long time now, probably 11 years or so. I was thinking of getting the V1 Gen 2 now but had a question about the bluetooth and pairing before I make a switch.

If I have an iPhone and I have bluetooth already enabled on the phone and get in my car and the V1 Gen 2 powered up, will it automatically connect for a seamless setup with whatever app I choose or do I have to search for the v1 gen 2 each time and pair with it?

Also for those who have come from the V1 gen 1, have you noticed a vast improvement in detection with respect to K and Ka band?

Finally, if I choose not to use my phone with the V1 gen 2 is there anything I would miss or can I use it standalone still like I did with my v1 gen 1?

You will have to pair it only once. Subsequently, you can have an app automatically connect every time it sees the V1G2.

Ka range is substantially improved, especially off-axis. K is less noticeable range-wise but consequently is much quieter to false k alerts over the G1.

I can't think of anything you'd miss over the G1 in standalone mode except for the knob if you like to play with it. LOL. Now there isn't a way to adjust muted volume quickly like there was.

Overall, the G2 is a large upgrade over the G1 IMO.

DrHow

Cloaked
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@kayotik78
Paragraph two: yes. seamless. Plus, I use both apps (not at same time). Easy to have V1Driver BT turned off so app does not go looking (when running JBV1

Paragraph three: hell yes on Ka! K band street of seat pants seems to be equal between two. Others will complain about delay of K band alert on G2 that G1 does not have. Has not been problem for me.

Paragraph four: running naked without app works great. Better than G1 for sure. Good enough as daily driver without relaying in the app. Full logic mode kills most of the fixed false alerts (while moving, it has secret sauce to reduce fixed false alerts too). BSM filtering is top of the heap.

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You will have to pair it only once. Subsequently, you can have an app automatically connect every time it sees the V1G2.

Ka range is substantially improved, especially off-axis. K is less noticeable range-wise but consequently is much quieter to false k alerts over the G1.

I can't think of anything you'd miss over the G1 in standalone mode except for the knob if you like to play with it. LOL. Now there isn't a way to adjust muted volume quickly like there was.

Overall, the G2 is a large upgrade over the G1 IMO.

That's great, thanks for clarifying that for me! I am disappointed that Mike wasn't able to include the knob with mute slider but as I heard in his interview, people apparently got confused by it?
Post automatically merged:

@kayotik78
Paragraph two: yes. seamless. Plus, I use both apps (not at same time). Easy to have V1Driver BT turned off so app does not go looking (when running JBV1

Paragraph three: hell yes on Ka! K band street of seat pants seems to be equal between two. Others will complain about delay of K band alert on G2 that G1 does not have. Has not been problem for me.

Paragraph four: running naked without app works great. Better than G1 for sure. Good enough as daily driver without relaying in the app. Full logic mode kills most of the fixed false alerts (while moving, it has secret sauce to reduce fixed false alerts too). BSM filtering is top of the heap.
Thank you for the response. I feel that I'll probably mess around with the apps and after a while probably just run it as is. The false alerts on K from acura/mdx and whatever else uses radar guided cruise was becoming an annoyance, but nothing that a quick turn off/turn on couldn't solve but still, better range and future proofing for a bit now would be best I think now.

Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I feel that I'll probably mess around with the apps and after a while probably just run it as is. The false alerts on K from acura/mdx and whatever else uses radar guided cruise was becoming an annoyance, but nothing that a quick turn off/turn on couldn't solve but still, better range and future proofing for a bit now would be best I think now.

Once you go with the apps, it's pretty hard to go back, IMO. I'd particularly recommend JBV1 for Android. Not only does it work to control a vast amount of functions of the G2, gives you automatic lockouts, and speed and location based automatic setting/mode changes, it also has the alerts from Waze at a nice long distance and let's you know about suspicious aircraft that may be running VASCAR.

DrHow

Cloaked
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ditto in using apps, any serious ling distance driving, I use JBV1. In metro area use V1Driver. However bee-bopping around, I run no app routine.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
A note of caution from what I have noticed. I run V1Driver connected to my V1G2 on iOS. Each night, I close out of whatever apps I ran during the day (double press home and swipe up). Sometimes when I do this, the V1G2 will not automatically reconnect to V1Driver when you first start the detector. If you have the app open in the background, it will launch instantly once you start the car, without fail. But I do find instances where the app is completely closed and the V1G2 does not connect automatically in the background (usually when I come across the first lockout I have and it alerts full tilt).

Because of this, I have begun to make it muscle memory to open the app before I go out to the car. I'm not sure what the cause of this is, as some here insist that it connects every time without fail. I'd say 80-90% of the time, it really does just come on in the background. But for me at least, 10-20% of the time I have to manually open the app to launch it.

biolink

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
V1G2 is so much quieter, any fault it may have on K band is worth it to me. The Ka off axis detection is silly good. K band is livable, but honestly if K were my major threat I may run the Gen 1. Certainly don't hold off getting Gen 2. You'll love it!

kaotik78

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Once you go with the apps, it's pretty hard to go back, IMO. I'd particularly recommend JBV1 for Android. Not only does it work to control a vast amount of functions of the G2, gives you automatic lockouts, and speed and location based automatic setting/mode changes, it also has the alerts from Waze at a nice long distance and let's you know about suspicious aircraft that may be running VASCAR.
I have a feeling that could be the case for me. I've always wanted to know the actual frequency of the signals I've picked up over the years and the apps provide that.

Have to wait now for it to arrive to check it all out now!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spitcool